PDA

View Full Version : File Server

Asgard_thor
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I was looking into making a file server for my home network
but I had a few questions

Does CPU performance play a role in the speed.
What would be a ideal budget build for a sata hard drive of course build

Also I have two PC currently up at the house more to add soon, and I wanted to do automatic backups, but wanted to make sure they were password protected.

Also when someone tries to access the data on the server a password prompt should appear, how would I go about setting this all up

m^2
08-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Does CPU performance play a role in the speed.
For usual home servers - no, not at all. The limit will be one of:
-HDD
-Network
-motherboard (i.e. VIA platform has low performance in general, it's not only CPU)

ownage
08-11-2008, 02:52 AM
You can build a low power Atom server for cheap. CPU speed doesn't matter much. Your speed will be limited by hdd speed and most important network speed.
I would use Linux and SAMBA for file sharing over the network. You can create samba users on the Linux machine and give them passwords. Each time you access a network share you will be asked to fill in a password.

The easiest way for you is probably use FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=28). FreeNAS is easy to use and has a web-based setup.

r4st4m4n
08-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Just take whatever CPU you can find. The best being if you can find an old PC for free :D

For example my Athlon XP 2000+ is way overpowered for my file server ;)

Marvin_The_Martian
08-11-2008, 03:42 AM
I used a p3 733, though that was pretty limited I guess due to the slow ide drive it had. Still was enough to stream video over the network.

Asgard_thor
08-11-2008, 06:43 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219020 I was thinking this case because I always wanted a case like that
like that, I was thinking the Intel atom, get mobo/proc for $80
want a case that is rackable like that and support for multiple HD's
but atom is ITX, soo im still wondering hmmmmm

Asgard_thor
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm not that familiar with Linux? easy to learn? the one you listed is free? I need something free, I can get XP pro for free :D

ownage
08-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm not that familiar with Linux? easy to learn? the one you listed is free? I need something free, I can get XP pro for free :D

FreeNAS is easy to install and you can configure the system with services by using a web-based system. So you hardly need any Linux knowledge. And if something gives you problems you can always PM me and I will be glad to help :)

Another Alternative is OpenFiler, although i don't know how good it is. Never tried it.

Edit: And yes FreeNAS is free.

Asgard_thor
08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
So I just install FreeNas as a OS? or its a program

Also thanks for the help
anyway I could use XP pro, since I'm a bit more knowledgeable?

Marvin_The_Martian
08-12-2008, 12:37 AM
freeNAS is an os. Xp pro can be used as file server but you need a more potent pc to handle it compared to the linux variant. Though you can run xp without gui still :D

Asgard_thor
08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
freeNAS is an os. Xp pro can be used as file server but you need a more potent pc to handle it compared to the linux variant. Though you can run xp without gui still :D

interesting

Marvin_The_Martian
08-12-2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5360 holds some info and links to possible options, hope it's interesting reading as well.

Asgard_thor
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
hmm

we have a file server as school, I know its XP, but not sure if its XP server or what, could I just get that? if I did that, would it be easy?

Heretic
08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
The easiest way for someone familiar with Windows is to just install XP and enable file sharing. If you have the hardware for it and don't care about power usage or the cost of XP, go for it.