PDA

View Full Version : SK-7 + SFII = bad temps?

FlyingHamster
09-27-2003, 07:12 PM
I recently re-seated my SK7 and Smart Fan II onto my 1700+ using Arctic Silver III, and Im getting a cpu temp of ~38C at full load at stock speeds. I decided to for a change, cuz I flashed to a new mobo bios, and changed some other stuff. I dont remember what I was gettin in the past, but is this normal? I havent "burned in" my cpu yet either, considering I just put it in about 30 min ago. I thought it was too high at first, so I took everything off and did it AGAIN, and just to be sure one more time, but ended up with the same results.

What are some of u other guys that use air cooling getting for a cpu temp at stock speeds?

If temps keep up like this, I dont think I'll be able to overclock my cpu for a while.. and that really makes me angry. If I were to upgrade, wut do u guys recommend? I want to stick with air cooling (Im not rich). Whats the best fan (that wont leave my ears ringing) to use? And what about heatsink? I was thinking about getting an SLK900 but I dont know which version to get. the "U" version, or the "A", or is another one? Whats the difference?? And lastly, do all of them fit on my NF7-S v2.0?

AcEmAsTr
09-28-2003, 01:37 AM
38c is rather good for an sk7, and theres lots of room for overclocking there!!!

my old slk-800 got 43c idle, cant say i had good case cooling tho

FlyingHamster
09-28-2003, 05:44 AM
lol ok, thnx. Im overclocked at 220x10 right now and getting 43 C at full load. guess it really wasnt that bad of a temp..

sandman
09-28-2003, 07:07 PM
I was getting 40C load temp at default with my slk-900U.

But then, my ambient/case temp then was like 28-31C.

shrae
09-29-2003, 09:27 PM
It really depends on the ambient or system temp (whatever temp the air is that is going into the heatsink); 38C means entirely different things if your sys is 32C or 24C, for example. The difference in temps is the important measure for heatsink efficiency.

speedstream5621
10-02-2003, 07:18 PM
The SK-7 gets less credit than it deserves for the price, IMO.:(

I just wish I had a SF2!

BTW, EVERYONE is getting higher temps with the new BIOS from Abit for that board...I'm guessing they are trying to emulate the temps that would be given from the diode on the CPU.

Nothing to worry about.:)