PDA

View Full Version : There's seriously something wrong with my computer

MurderCityDevil
08-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Before I begin, let me say that I don't know what forum to post this in because at this point I honestly don't know what the problem is with. It's gotten to the point that this issue is killing me every time it happens and makes me feel like the thousands of dollars and endless hours i poured into this machine were in vain. Here's my setup -

Asus Maximus Formula (BIOS 2107)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad 750
Q6600
4 gigs of pc8500 corsair dominator ddr2 at 1066
9800GX2
X-Fi xtreme gamer
WD Raptor 150
WD caviar 250
Pioneer dvd-rw lightscribe

Here is the basic issue. I will walk you through a typical scenario of how it's been happening to me lately, though the same issue has occurred in different circumstances in the past probably 4-5 months.

Lately, it happens like this. If I'm using Vista and I leave my computer on and idle for any extended period of time (sometimes as little as 2-3 hours), and I come back, I will see that the monitor is off. Turning it on reveals a black screen and a locked up system. (Sometimes this is also related to the nvdlmmkm error that also has been bugging me a lot, but not necessarily. ) Usually my computer is left like this because i'm downloading torrents or something. Anyway, i get the black screen and unresponsive system, so I restart. Upon restart, my Maximus Formula splash screen now has artifacts on it. (for this reason I thought it could be graphics related).

If I'm using XP and leave my computer idle, coming back to it reveals whatever windows I had open or just my desktop, but everything is frozen and the screen also now has teal colored artifacts all over it. After a restart the mobo splash screen also has artifacts. At this point I know the nightmare has begun.

Comp POSTS without issues and when I start to boot into either OS, the loading screen still has artifacts. For XP, interestingly enough, the little progress bar freezes for a second and the artifacts disappear, and then continues moving, as if it fixed itself. However, for both OS's, they will each go through their loading screen and then I will get a black screen and no further booting. The hard drives will seek for a little bit but the comp will never boot. The only way I have really been able to fix this is by clearing cmos and letting my computer sit for multiple hours with the power supply off, sometimes even leaving it overnight. As you can imagine, this is not a very useful solution.

Some background on what I've done - At first I thought it was memory related since the issue started back when i had my old crucial ballistix tracers. I eventually found out one stick was bad and resorted to using 1 gig while I saved up money for new mem. I just recently bought my dominators but clearly the issue is still here. While installing those, I realized that at least 2 of my mobo dimm slots are also bad, or at the very least "weak" and incapable of running at 1066. Right now my 2 2 gig sticks are running in 2 adjacent slots (A1 and A2).

As for the video card, it runs perfectly fine. I can play all games for basically an unlimited amount of time without a single crash or error or anything. Same with the rest of my system. It's completely stable with the exception of this crap. Just now, for instance, I flashed to bios 2107 (didn't fix the issue) and somehow managed to boot into xp (no artifacts or anything) and am running prime95. No errors, no nothing. Everything is fine.

(also, when I do manage to boot successfully and then restart, the artifacts on the mobo splash screen also disappear. This makes me think it could possibly be OS related)

I am completely baffled as to what this is, and frankly hate the thought of having to replace components to get rid of it as I've already spent so much goddamn time on this comp. I just want it to work like its supposed to.

If you guys have any idea what this issue is being caused by, please for the love of god help me out. its driving me crazy. If you need any more information I'll be glad provide it or clarify what i've already said. Thanks guys.

WoZZeR999
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Use a temp monitoring program and leave that as the main window when you leave. Then when you come back you can have an idea if it's a temp problem. Make sure it also includes the GPU temp, in case it starts to overheat while idle for some reason. It could be a PSU problem, do you have a spare PSU you can test with?

zanzabar
08-09-2008, 01:48 PM
your ram sould be in slots 2/4 ithinkt hat they are white on that board

MurderCityDevil
08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Use a temp monitoring program and leave that as the main window when you leave. Then when you come back you can have an idea if it's a temp problem. Make sure it also includes the GPU temp, in case it starts to overheat while idle for some reason. It could be a PSU problem, do you have a spare PSU you can test with?

i know for sure it's not temps because like i said, I can play any games I want, including crysis, for hours and hours with my temps going up to 80's with no problems.

As for a PSU, I do not have a spare one, but I've considered testing that.

and the second poster, my ram is currently in the blue slots, but i've tried every slot and no matter where they are the problem persists.

WoZZeR999
08-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Maybe there is a malfunction with the fan(s) at idle though. You can also use HWMonitor to track voltages (although may only show if they are way off). If it's going to lock up anyway at some point, it may just be a check to make sure that you can completely rule out temps.

Source
08-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Perhaps a little obvious, but did you look at your Harddisk?
I had kind of a similar problem, when downloading torrents overnight, at the morning all my downloads where Failure/interupted.
Because the Harddisk downloading them to was malfunction and spun down and wasn't reachable anymore.
When Windows was using a program Defgramenting, scanning virus/malware or something like that, the morning after he hung.
Because ofcourse, Windows was working with files on that Harddisk and suddenly he spun down / was unreachable.. so he crashed.

..In short, is it perhaps your harddisk that spins down spontaneously?
I didn't see that you checked them, or i over read it :)

-------------

Although this can't cause the artefacts, can it?
Or can it, if Vista is on a bad part of the disk and XP is in a better area? :shrug:

cegras
08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Have you tried looking into your Windows suspend / hibernate / screen saver functions and turning them off?

Does the problem manifest after you leave it for some time, or does it sometimes happen in your face?

Describe the precursors to the problem in some more detail.

Speederlander
08-09-2008, 05:39 PM
If he is getting mobo splashscreen artifacts that points away from Vista issues and harddrive issues.

Have you run memtest for a day or two? Seems it is either memory related or a faulty mobo if you have to reset CMOS to fix it.

philbrown23
08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
lol theres an windows update that cures that! nothing is wrong with the hardware. heres a link to all updates and it's in there. http://aaron-kelley.net/downloads/hotfix/

Speederlander
08-09-2008, 06:31 PM
lol theres an windows update that cures that! nothing is wrong with the hardware. heres a link to all updates and it's in there. http://aaron-kelley.net/downloads/hotfix/

Ok, so the problem starts at the motherboard splashscreen before windows is ever loaded... so how is a windows update going to address the issue?

3lfk1ng
08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I'll bet it's the video card or the mobo: Try a different video card. If you don't have a spare, borrow one from a friend, if you don't have friends, your S.O.L.

Since your getting the issue at your splash screen, I would think that it can only be the Memory, the Mobo, or the Video card.

swiftex
08-09-2008, 10:56 PM
i think he has 2 problems,

1. gx2 is getting too hot, use riva tuner and run fan at 70% at windows startup and 100% when gaming

2. video driver error, find a better driver or install properly

just hope you haven't compromised video card memory, if artifacting keeps happening after you correct the above then you may have to replace gx2,

good luck!

tiro_uspsss
08-10-2008, 04:20 AM
I'll bet it's the video card or the mobo: Try a different video card. If you don't have a spare, borrow one from a friend, if you don't have friends, your S.O.L.

Since your getting the issue at your splash screen, I would think that it can only be the Memory, the Mobo, or the Video card.

+1 :yepp:

Mk
08-10-2008, 07:09 AM
what kinda driver you are using for that 9800GX2?
because there is some known issue with older drivers that cant come back from sleep try using the new 177.79 BETA from Nvidia.com and report back please
Oh and remove the older driver like this:
1-Uninstall from programs and fetchers
2-boot into safe mode
3-Run driver sweeper and clean every Nvidia display
4-now install the 177.79
hope this fixes it :)