PDA

View Full Version : New BlackOps - No Boot

BMSliger
08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Received my BlackOps MB from Newegg yesterday. Will not boot. CPU fan and video card fan spin but no signal to monitor. 5v Standby LED lights up, Dram power LED lights up but Debug LEDs never light up.

Here is what I did:
1. Removed MB from box and put on acrylic tray included in box.
2. Inserted new retail Wolfdale E8500 CPU, put on included stock Intel cooler and plugged PWM fan lead into CPU fan header.
3. Inserted one stick of new Mushkin DDR3-1800 into blue slot nearest CPU.
4. Plugged in new Visiontek HD4870 video card and attached both PCIe 6 pin power leads from power supply to card.
5. Plugged in PS/2 type keyboard into Purple PS/2 keyboard header.
6. Attached 24 pin and 8pin power supply cables to motherboard.
7. Pressed red power button on MB to boot with the results listed above.

Here is what I've tried:
1. Reset CMOS both by reset CMOS button and by jumper.
2. Removed battery for 10 minutes and replaced.
3. Tried memory in all 4 slots then tried 2nd stick of identical memory in all 4 slots.
4. Placed CPU in another MB. Booted fine.
5. Plugged in power supply to another MB. Booted fine.
6. Removed HD 4870 video card and replaced with known good PCI video card.
7. Tried known good USB keyboard in place of PS/2 keyboard.

Don't have another DDR3 MB to test ram. The fact that the debug LEDs never light up makes me believe the board is DOA. Correct me if I am wrong, but the debug LEDs should come on even if the CPU/memory/video card are bad.

I have been building systems since 1991 and if this board is DOA, it will be only my 3rd one.

Is there anything else I could try before an RMA.

Thanks,
Monte Sliger

negev
08-09-2008, 12:42 PM
No expert but i'd say doa, mine occassionally boots and fails to init the video card after adjusting the bios but the led still changes through the various codes.

Have you checked the dip switches on the board are in their default positions?

negev
08-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Also, could be your main bios is bad. I think somewhere in the manual it mentions a way to force it to boot from the backup one..

BMSliger
08-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

If by "dip switches" you mean the jumpers (clear CMOS, BIOS select and FSB select), yes I did. They are all in default positions.

Thanks,
Monte Sliger

BMSliger
08-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try booting from second BIOS via jumper selection.

Thanks,
Monte Sliger

BMSliger
08-09-2008, 01:08 PM
No go. Tried BIOS select jumper in all 4 positions. No difference.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Monte Sliger

HDCHOPPER
08-09-2008, 01:18 PM
very clear you know what your doing :up:

doa does happen :shrug: suspect doa myself
if it was memory the boot prob would be different

the foxconn co. is very good about rma process :D

negev
08-09-2008, 01:28 PM
yeah sorry i meant jumpers, bit drunk tonight :P

i second the above comment - its doa.

Xello
08-09-2008, 01:39 PM
The fact that the debug LEDs never light up makes me believe the board is DOA. Correct me if I am wrong, but the debug LEDs should come on even if the CPU/memory/video card are bad.

Yeah man, without a debug post code foxconn's technical support have no way of even helping you, so no options but to RMA this shiz right away.

BMSliger
08-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys. You confirmed my first thought. Unless someone comes up with another idea, I will begin RMA.

One question - should I RMA with Newegg where I purchased the board or with Foxconn? Which would be quickest and most efficient? I have had to RMA stuff with Newegg before and have not had any problems, but I solicit your opinions.

Thanks,
Monte Sliger

HDCHOPPER
08-09-2008, 08:45 PM
newegg is good
if any trouble contact saaya here

clone38
08-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Shop you got it from they should test it when you send it back and they will replace it with a new one.