PDA

View Full Version : Blackops questions

negev
08-09-2008, 03:36 AM
Some things I'd like to know..

1. What are the differences between the G28/G27/G26 etc bioses that everyone seems to be using and the P05 bios that I got from the Foxconn website? Is it worth switching to G28?

2. What is the maximum northbridge voltage/temp that this board can handle with air and water? I read elsewhere that nb shouldn't exceed 1.5v, but somehow I think this board was designed with high voltage in mind..

3. Is there a reason for it being so fickle with overclock settings? Like you can be 12hr prime stable, try for a higher clock, go back to where you were before and suddenly its no longer stable?

4. With my Q9450 above 400fsb I get lockup after lockup even with nb voltage at 1.6v. I'm sure lockups are board problems rather than cpu or memory. I've not had a single p95 error at 415 or 425 usb but the board always locks up. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I think I tried for 3.32ghz (415x8) with:

Vcore: 1.33v
Vtt: 1.34v
NB: 1.6v
SB: stock
PLL: stock (what is PLL anyway?)

But just kept getting lockups..

Now I can't get 3.2ghz stable without 1.5v nb, 1.32v vcore, 1.27v vtt... which seems high to me but a single point less and the system locks. At these settings its prime stable (12 hours).

5. Is there a guide anywhere for understanding the GTR voltage/clock skews etc?

Thanks!

Xello
08-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Some things I'd like to know..

1. What are the differences between the G28/G27/G26 etc bioses that everyone seems to be using and the P05 bios that I got from the Foxconn website? Is it worth switching to G28?

G indicates a beta bios, P is for public. Lots of people simply stopped upgrading bios when they got their desired overclock, so they will be on older bios's.

2. What is the maximum northbridge voltage/temp that this board can handle with air and water? I read elsewhere that nb shouldn't exceed 1.5v, but somehow I think this board was designed with high voltage in mind..

I'm not sure. I've had mine up to about 1.71v (water), and the temps were fine. I'm sure people that bench with this board approach or perhaps exceed 2v.

3. Is there a reason for it being so fickle with overclock settings? Like you can be 12hr prime stable, try for a higher clock, go back to where you were before and suddenly its no longer stable?

I've not experienced anything like that. You might want to flash to bios G28.

negev
08-09-2008, 05:02 AM
G28 does seem to be an improvement on P05, I couldn't get back to my original 3.2 overclock using only a slight +vcore but i've got the voltages lower than I needed yesterday and so far (30min p95) it's not locked.

BTW is the CPU voltage reported by the Aegis Panel accurate? I think I have 1.3 or 1.31 configured in bios but Aegis reports 1.25.

Xello
08-09-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm not sure, on g28 my bios always sets the actual voltage to ~0.02v less than the target voltage i specify. It tells you the actual voltage in the bios though, so i go by that.

Aegis is showing me something like 0.0025v lower than what shows in the bios, and cpu-z shows about 0.4v lower, but that's definitely wrong.

negev
08-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Where in the bios does it show the actual voltage? and how do you know it's accurate?

clone38
08-09-2008, 08:36 AM
I have the G26 bios for some reason when i use the G28 my cpu multy in cpuz done show up correct.

Xello
08-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Where in the bios does it show the actual voltage? and how do you know it's accurate?

On the Voltage Control screen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/xellestar/12345.jpg

'target voltage' and 'current voltage', although the current voltage doesn't change on the fly, you have to restart after changing the target voltage.