My Specs
Msi P7N Diamond
8800gtxsli
Q6600@3500 thermalright ultra extreme
Antec 900
Thermaltake TP 850
Liteon DVR
2 HDD

Since yesterday ive had a big problem when I shut down from windows after 5 secs when everything usually shuts down now only my screen shuts down and the rest of my components keep running like if it was on and never shut down unless I powerdown the psu.Things ive tried bios flash didnt help took everything apart reformated but still the same problem persists I tried removing components like one gpu soundcard fans ect but my pc still wont shut down do you guys have any Idea what could be the cause of this?

Exahertz
08-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Mine does this occasionally, do you get any errors when it reboots after you pulled the plug? I have no answer to this. only that im OC'ing my CPU and sometimes when i reboot after i pull the plug it says "overclocking failed" and then i have to reset it, but thats not a big deal. I also find that sometimes when I put my comp into standby ill come back in the morning and its back up and running. But I suspect my cat sleeps on my keyboard and she hits the Esc key for me.

malik22
08-08-2008, 08:06 AM
No nothing like that im not ocing now since I have the problem when I boot and go to windows everything is normal its when I shutdown only the screen goes off when usally every component shuts off with it they keep running and they dont ever shut off.

xytrius
08-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Are you using Vista?

malik22
08-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Yes im using vista 64 I reformated once with vista 64 same issue and now I installed server 2008 same issue I have no clue what this is.

xytrius
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Vista goes into sleep by default if you click the shut down button. Try selecting the shut down option by clicking on the arrow button.

http://z.about.com/d/windows/1/0/G/6/-/-/turnoff.gif

If you can shut down successfully using the shut down option, you can go to control panel and change button settings to shut down instead of sleep.

Th3MadScientist
08-08-2008, 08:51 AM
if the above tips don't solve anything, if this started happening just yesterday, I would do a system restore to an earlier time. If that does no good get your favorite Linux distro live-CD, and see if you can shut down in Linux. If you can you know its an OS issue.

xytrius
08-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Excellent suggestion to isolate the problem into hardware or software, Th3MadScientist!:)

malik22
08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
I cant system restore since I have formated im on server 2008 now and theres no sleep mode that I can see but I havet installed any software restart works.Gonna install xp now see if I can shutdown from that then ill report back.And thx for the suggestions guys.And when I say my screen shuts off I dont mean in sleep mode im mean off.

Mk
08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
If you are using an Nforce 780i its A known BIOS issue its ben fixed with the latest BIOS at From EVGA.com Look at your motherboard website for new BIOS

BIOS P06 FOR EVGA 780i (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=425877&mpage=1&key=P06)
* OS compatibility fixes (Vista logo hang during reboot)
* Added Overclocking support for Penryn-1066 CPUs
* ACPI fixes for Wake on Lan

MSI should have this BIOS Updated in there website just look for it

malik22
08-08-2008, 11:47 AM
C.Ron7aldo I am using the latest msi bios I installed xp same issue im really stuck I already took everything apart last night now all I have left is my gpu the fan on the thermalright and one hd even formated on the hard drive I usally use to store music ect this most be a hardware issue either the psu or the mobo I have no clue the both seem to be running fine.

xytrius
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
malik22, have to tried disabling ACPI?

malik22
08-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Just tried that xytrius and when the pc is suppose to boot the Operating system it reboots instead, i have left it for 5 min and its on a infinite reboot loop what does that mean?

xytrius
08-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Just tried that xytrius and when the pc is suppose to boot the Operating system it reboots instead, i have left it for 5 min and its on a infinite reboot loop what does that mean?

It just means that the OS is recognizing the APCI settings; a rather crude and incomprehensive method of finding out, but the only one I know. You will need to enable ACPI for any standard Windows OS install.

Could you enable ACPI and set it to S1?

malik22
08-09-2008, 12:03 AM
It is on S1 tried S3 but same thing happens.

malik22
08-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Do you guys think this is a psu issue and is there anyway I can check.

xytrius
08-09-2008, 08:46 AM
malik22, I think that your board is the problem; specifically I think that you have a faulty CMOS chip. If 3 OS’s have the same shutdown issues, then it cannot be an OS problem, also (based on what you said) your board seems to go into some kind of a sleep state after an OS attempt at shutdown, so all this points to a BIOS problem (considering that this happens with three different OS’s).

It is unlikely to be a PSU problem; the PSU has no electronic say in motherboard powering.

malik22
08-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Ok thank you for all your help I just want to make sure I rma the right part if its a board problem isnt it strange Im still able to flash the bios without problem.

xytrius
08-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Yes, it is indeed strange. But then, it is not totally unusual for a CMOS to have faulty sectors.

You have had a bit of bad luck, mate; but methinks that once the RMA process is done, you’ll be grinning ear to ear! :)

malik22
08-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I just tried the my psu on my bros old pc with x800t and amd 64 and it shutdown without prob so I guess it is the board.Theres nothing i can do right?

xytrius
08-09-2008, 09:49 AM
UnUnfortunately, no. I’d rather RMA the board than try to fix it.