PDA

View Full Version : Probably every water coolers nightmare...

thomas hobbes
08-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Left my rig running prime95 for approx 3 hours yestersday then came home to find that the tube from the pump outlet had detached itself. My room was covered in UV blue coolant and the pc had shut itself down. (I had the side panels off while it was priming by the way). Obviously I thought my world has caved in as 3 months work and alot of cash potentially went up in smoke.

However today I re-attached the hose, refilled and bled the loop and to my surprise the pump is running perfectly fine. I havent fired up the whole rig to see if the CPU or GPU are affected but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm most interested to know how long after the hose detaching itself and the reservoir running dry would it have taken for the PC to shut down and what likely damage could have been caused in the meantime.

Has anybody else been in this same scenario?

IanY
08-08-2008, 06:29 AM
I would strip down your machine and remove each component and let them dry off. It could take a few days. I don't recommend the hot sun for drying, or the hot hairdryer. Wipe down the mobo carefully, if still visibly wet, and let everything dry with a house fan. If there are coolant stains, use pure distilled water and/or iso alcohol wipes.

If you can, test your components separately one by one in a different machine. If that's all you have, it can't be helped. You'll just have to wait.

Without fluid running through your water block, your cpu would have overheated quickly. I doubt your system was running for more than 60 seconds after that.

In all likehood, your cpu, gpu and memory are probably just ok. YOur mobo is probably alright, but you'll just have to wait.

thomas hobbes
08-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. Given that my pump is housed in the bottom compartment of a TJ07, both side panels were off and also the direction the pump outlet was facing there was little chance of coolant reaching my mobo or gpu, or the upper compartment where all the components are housed; actually Id say it was physically impossible. It sprayed directly out into my room. The green light was still on on the mobo when I got home so probably no shorting has occured either. As I was using Feser UV coolant its fairly easy to see that it hasnt reached anything sensitive.

I think Ive been incredibly lucky.

IanY
08-08-2008, 06:45 AM
In that case, you're good to go.

Sorry I didn't know where your pump was, and I didn't know you have a TJ-07 (my fault for not reading carefully).

Fire it up. It should boot without issues.

kinghong1970
08-08-2008, 06:49 AM
just out of curiosity...

how would a tube come off the pump so easily? what pump and tube are you using?

thomas hobbes
08-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Laing DDC2 ultra with 1/2" barbs and Masterkleer 7/16" tubing. I've used Dtek barbs which give an incredibly tight fit, except the two barbs on the pump which are EK ones. The tubing worked loose from an EK barb which are not quite as tight. I had to use EK barbs on the pump as they fit the thread on the pump better than the Dtek barbs, but don't ask me why. Since the accident I've added cable ties to the tubing on the EK barbs.

How it happened I dont really know, but my loop is fairly non restrictive as it only has two blocks in it on the cpu and nb, and the pump is extremely powerful so the pressure may have caused it to work loose.

jonny_ftm
08-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Well, even if the pump is working, you'll have to check it. The flow could be really bad. If the reservoir is empty, it meany the pump ran dry. If it is full, it means the pump didn't have time to empty the loop befor a short shuts down the PC

A pump running dry could work, but with degraded performance ususally

jonny_ftm
08-08-2008, 07:05 AM
just out of curiosity...

how would a tube come off the pump so easily? what pump and tube are you using?

Another one preferring bling to security: he didn't use any ties

YMAA
08-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Ah...no clamps.

EDIT: posted late.

lyl
08-08-2008, 07:16 AM
I bet the mobo is always first to go in this situation. Clean everything sparingly with alcohol to get the blue residue off

Im a 7/16" user too; no clamps. This makes me want compression fittings and move to 1/2" tubing even more...

MrMojoZ
08-08-2008, 07:17 AM
If you choose to skip clamps on some of the fittings make sure the pump isn't one of them.

eXa
08-08-2008, 07:22 AM
The isngle point in the loop with the highest pressure is at the pump outlet. From there the pressure just drops.

kinghong1970
08-08-2008, 07:31 AM
yea... well, at least the folks who love bling have folks like evil coming out with nice and gorgeous clamps...

anyone else thought "penis rings" when you first saw evil's new creation?

i think i gotta stop watching late nite cable tv...

YMAA
08-08-2008, 07:32 AM
anyone else thought "penis rings" when you first saw evil's new creation?

i think i gotta stop watching late nite cable tv...

Guess that means you've gotta take it off the DVR too :shocked:

kinghong1970
08-08-2008, 07:34 AM
ha ha ha... dont own one...

thomas hobbes
08-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Another one preferring bling to security: he didn't use any ties

Well given that this is my first water build mistakes were made. I learn from them. How do you know whether or not I prefer bling to security?

Your comment is unwarranted, idiotic and unhelpful.

thomas hobbes
08-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I bet the mobo is always first to go in this situation. Clean everything sparingly with alcohol to get the blue residue off

Read post#3

thomas hobbes
08-08-2008, 07:41 AM
The single point in the loop with the highest pressure is at the pump outlet. From there the pressure just drops.

I've certainly learnt that the hard way. Oh well could of been worse.

Sparda
08-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Rolf. It also happen to me last month. The tube doesnt detach from the barb but it doesnt have a tight fit any more. So the water leak on the NB and soak it with water. Manage to run few minutes before I am aware of the leak. I just want to do a short run so I´m kinda ""ignore"" the zipties.
The same Masterkleer and EK barb. Btw I use the tube many times so it already a little bit loose.

Dried up the mobo. Use a hair dryer a little bit. Clean it up with aceton. Luckily it still alive. (Btw I only use distilled water the loop)

kinghong1970
08-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Well given that this is my first water build mistakes were made. I learn from them. How do you know whether or not I prefer bling to security?

Your comment is unwarranted, idiotic and unhelpful.

i'm sure there was not ill intent behind his comment...

and furthermore if my replies offended... my bad bro...

you are right... certain mistakes makes for great learning experience...

in any case,... i too use D-Tek and EK barbs with 7/16" and even 1/2" ID tubes... EK slips out too much... hence i like my D-Teks...

well, hope it works out for you bro...

Sparda
08-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I thought putting 7/16" tubing on Swiftech 1/2" nylon barbs is also a nightmare. :)

jonny_ftm
08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I thought putting 7/16" tubing on Swiftech 1/2" nylon barbs is also a nightmare. :)

If you don't boil the tubing, yes ;)

MadHacker
08-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Ah...no clamps.

Gota have those hose clamps.
will save you lots of grief as well as give you pice of mind....

mpower1001
08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Thank god you didn't hurt your motherboard or gpu's

Navanod
08-09-2008, 08:22 AM

Im a 7/16" user too; no clamps. This makes me want compression fittings and move to 1/2" tubing even more...

Agreed...the exact same thing happened on my first build and the ASUS mobo had to take a 2 months vacation back to Taiwan :shocked:

What saved my data was that I was still using IDE hard disk and the (un-rounded) flat and big IDE cables blocked all that coolant from hitting the harddisks! :rofl:

Chewbenator
08-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Also onto a MCP655 pump, re-diculous. I'll tell you that those tubes are NEVER coming off. The last time I refilled the loop I tried taking the tubes off, with ALL of my strength they would not budge a millimeter. Have to Exacto Knife those babies off.

Brave758
08-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Mate im sure your pump will be fine, today i had a engine throw a blade off its free power turbine(gas turbine engine) and the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: kept on trucking. Lol dam.

Frostbyte
08-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Well given that this is my first water build mistakes were made. I learn from them.

Thomas, everyone makes mistakes, be it on their first watercool build or from an unwarranted flame. At least you have the cajones to step up and do something as crazy as cooling electronic components with H20, and we applaud anyone taking that step. :clap:

Also onto a MCP655 pump, re-diculous. I'll tell you that those tubes are NEVER coming off. The last time I refilled the loop I tried taking the tubes off, with ALL of my strength they would not budge a millimeter. Have to Exacto Knife those babies off.

lol...never say never. I agree with you that they are super tight, and I am running a 655 myself (with clamps!!!). But, also keep in mind that when you are pulling off the tubing, the pressure you generate slightly compresses the tubing. You are pulling on the outside of the tube. When a pump is working, the pressure comes from INSIDE the tube, and is a force for expansion, not compression. Hopefully you will never have an accident, but I am amazed that anyone would knowingly not use a clamp. Paint it, hide it, shrink wrap it, do what you must to satisfy your case aesthetic, but clamp it! I also run an Iwaki as well and both of these pumps are squat toads that are ugly enough that it will draw away all the attention from a hose clamp or zip tie. Kind of like Rosie O'Donnell worrying about if her lipstick is the right shade. I mean, it is either bag her whole face or just don't worry about it.

ripken204
08-09-2008, 08:02 PM
i just left my week old loop running while i was away for the first time, and i was worrying alot, lol. ALWAYS keep an eye on the loop for at least a week to make sure all is well.

a few months ago my tubing popped off of my dtek fuzion and the computer shut down no more than 45 seconds later.
luckily for me nothing really got wet and everything still worked.

btw, you can use a blow dryer but in quick bursts of about 5 seconds a piece, otherwise you can really overheat stuff. also use canned air.

Blazing fire
12-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Thomas, everyone makes mistakes, be it on their first watercool build or from an unwarranted flame. At least you have the cajones to step up and do something as crazy as cooling electronic components with H20, and we applaud anyone taking that step. :clap:

lol...never say never. I agree with you that they are super tight, and I am running a 655 myself (with clamps!!!). But, also keep in mind that when you are pulling off the tubing, the pressure you generate slightly compresses the tubing. You are pulling on the outside of the tube. When a pump is working, the pressure comes from INSIDE the tube, and is a force for expansion, not compression. Hopefully you will never have an accident, but I am amazed that anyone would knowingly not use a clamp. Paint it, hide it, shrink wrap it, do what you must to satisfy your case aesthetic, but clamp it! I also run an Iwaki as well and both of these pumps are squat toads that are ugly enough that it will draw away all the attention from a hose clamp or zip tie. Kind of like Rosie O'Donnell worrying about if her lipstick is the right shade. I mean, it is either bag her whole face or just don't worry about it.

Do they make transparent clamps? :D

septim
12-06-2008, 07:12 AM
i dont see any transparent clamps... just standard metal clamps DIY painted flourescent colors...

_G_
12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Mate im sure your pump will be fine, today i had a engine throw a blade off its free power turbine(gas turbine engine) and the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: kept on trucking. Lol dam.

Pics?:D

zeroibis
12-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Yea, my first water cooling system blew up in my face. I was using water for the coolant so I was lucky that there was not a leek but the problem was a bit worse...

I had a dual Xeon system with 2cpus and the north bridge being cooled by swiftech blocks. Well if you remember those old blocks they were a bit big and heavy, well the N/B block was a bit too heavy for the motherobards pins and boom. I was playing a game and all of a sudden one of my temperature alarms went off, as soon as I turned my head the screens went to black and then I heard the computer shut off. After just about pissing myself I opened to case to find, the N/B block sitting on top of my grafix card! The hook that held it onto the motherboard had a weak weld and got pulled out of the motherboard from the weight and strength of the spring for the waterblock, so it fell off and landed on my gpu!

Luckily I was able to send the motherboard in for RMA and they sent me a new one that I am using to talk to you today. :D Also everything including my gpu was perfectly fine and I was able to switch that along with my HDDs over to a back up system. :cool:

T_Flight
12-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I've seen two of these incidents just since this morning here in the States. It's reinforcing what the stickies taught me in the beginning before I fully committed to watercooling...without clamps or ties, it's not a matter of *if* it will geiser, it's a matter of *when* it will.

exe163
12-06-2008, 06:45 PM
It's really unfortunate when this happens, but this is part of the risk running water through your system. Couple questions though, is there something like a flow meter that cant stop the machine if the flow drop below certain level? also do you think this will happen to compression fits with right diameter?

aspire.comptech
12-06-2008, 07:16 PM
It's really unfortunate when this happens, but this is part of the risk running water through your system. Couple questions though, is there something like a flow meter that cant stop the machine if the flow drop below certain level? also do you think this will happen to compression fits with right diameter?

You can use a pump with a RPM wire to monitor pump speed and alarm or shut down the comp it it stops.

A compression fitting is essentially a barb with a clamp that screws onto it, so no.

CedricFP
12-06-2008, 07:32 PM
On my first ever liquid build I didn't clamp my DD Maze gpu block. I fried my brand new 6800GT at the time, as well as my mobo. It was a sad day.

Ever since then, I clamp - even the D5 gets ziptie treatment.