PDA

View Full Version : Problems with WD velociraptor & foxconn black ops on vista installation

katiephil
08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone

I am trying to install vista 64 ultimate on a WD velocirator. Windows does not see the HD.

Bios see the HD & comes up fine in the boot txt.

I know the MB works in RAID 0 mode and I know the HD works fine as its been a RAID drive.

I deleted the RAID array set the bios back to IDE.

Windows does not see the HD.

Do I have to load a SATA driver or something ?

Really need your help on this

BMAF
08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by windows doesn't see the hard drive, but I'm assuming windows won't install. Check the order of your hard drives in the bios.

grungero
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
So your HD can be seen in bios and not in windows? Have you tried Rightclicking Mycomputer > Manage? Or you can try Acronis or Gparted partition manager. :)

ducted
08-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi!

There are a lot of problems like that with WD VelociRaptors connected to the motherboard SATA ports not only related to BlackOps, nor the X48 chipset. It also happens with other brands and NVIDIA chipsets. As i have read, this problem is caused by some sort of incompatibility with the VelociRaptor implementation of the SATA 2 protocol.

I had two VelociRaptors attached to the ports 1 & 2 in RAID 0 working fine, but i didn't found a way to do them work in IDE or AHCI mode. Also tried to setup Vista with only one VR attached and won't work.

Sometimes the VelociRaptor appears in the HD list, but Vista says it's not compatible or is not configured from BIOS to boot (but it's configured), so i can't install it, and sometimes it doesn't appears, even is listed in the BIOS.

If you have two VelociRaptors attached to your mobo, don't forget to press CTRL+I while booting and setup the RAID 0 selecting both drives.

If you have only one you will need an Adaptec or Promise SATA II PCIE card to make it work. Most people use the Adaptec RAID 5405 card (4 SATA ports), i have the 5805 (8 SATA ports), both are very expensive cards, but the performance is very notorious.

I miss an option in the BIOS settings to disable the internal SATA & eSATA controllers for the people who prefer to use these cards.

Cheers, ducted.

HDCHOPPER
08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
man this is bad news eye was just about to buy a new V-Raptor

BMAF
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I have two velociraptors in my system. I have used them in both in a raid 0 configuration, and seperately for dual booting Vista 64 or Windows XP. I was just fooling around at the time, deciding how I wanted to use them, so I don't really remember what I did to get one to work by itself. But it seem like I had to change the hard drive order in the bios menu. Right now I have Vista 64 installed on one, and Widows XP installed on the other, I just load a different profile in the bios, and it changes the hard drive order so it boots the hard drive with the operating system I want to use. Wish I could be more specific, but I haven't been at home for a couple of weeks. I'll be home soon, and I'll check to see how I have it set up and let you know.

M@G!C
08-09-2008, 01:25 AM
I was buying one too.... better think twice now!

katiephil
08-09-2008, 05:17 AM
I fixed the problem..................

Kind of a school boy error really.

For some reason on the foxconn I had to do a kill disk (low level format) for the HD to work. A simple format did not work.

On the asus the HD worked on a simple format.

This might have something to do with the fact the RAID array was on the foxconn although the RAID array had been deleted (Ctrl-I).

So if anyones SATA HD does not work on a clean install but shows in bios.. Use a program like "kill disk".

Thank you for the replys

I can now start to build my v2000 now i have at least some kind of rig built.

ps (got 2 XSPC edge v2's.................i34 in the UK):):):):):) only 15 ever made.

btdvox
08-10-2008, 12:52 PM
^could you be a bit specific for me? Im buying one of these for my new build with the black ops, Just a single one not in RAID, anyways so the bios detects the hard drive and then you cant install it on windows? Or can you?

katiephil
08-10-2008, 02:08 PM
dont worry

plug it in and it will work fine.

My HD's had been used before so needed to do a kill disk on them.

You will be fine if you have trouble installing windows just do a low level dos format like kill disk

Kazi
10-12-2008, 04:35 AM
I am having a simmilar problem with my 2 velociraptors on my P5E3 premium wifi .

I had the velociraptors in raid, but after i got unresponsive vista64 problems i decided to try single drive mode.

I tried all controler modes IDE, AHCI, RAID but i cant get vista64 to install on a single drive.

negev
10-12-2008, 04:39 AM
"unresponsive vista64 problems" = Intel Matrix driver issue, try using the one from the CD rather than the latest from Intel

To use raided drives as single drives again you need to low level format them

katiephil
10-12-2008, 05:14 AM
I used killdisk as a bootable cd to wipe the HD's this works fine.

Kazi
10-12-2008, 05:21 AM
I tried the the killdisk tool.

But i can only do "erease pass zero's" and it seems to take forever.

How long would it take for killdisk to erase one velociraptor of 279GB??

A nother thing. Killdisk shows a small partion before and after the big 279GB partition, should i erase them to?

@negev
I dont have the Intel Matrix Storage thing installed.
And i think ist the raid driver iastor.inf that causes the problems in Vista 64.

katiephil
10-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Its that small partition you need to get rid of.

When killdisk loads you get a blue screen, just select the hard drive only and then select killdisk - think you have to type delete all data or something like that.

It takes a while so you might as well do something else while its running (about 20mins max)

negev
10-12-2008, 08:11 AM
iastor is part of Intel Matrix, if you install the Intel Matrix drivers from the blackops cd the problem should go away

Kazi
10-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Well if i run it, killdisk says it needs 19 hours or so.

Anyway after a few mins into the erasing process i stoped it and the partitions had gone away. Now the drives are found and instalation goes ok.

Bye the way, i got my two 300GB Velociraptors working in Raid0 on my ASUS P5E3 Premium wifi_AP @n (ICH9R) with a Vista 64 Ultimate installation.

So no need for a single disk installation anymore

Thing is i now seem to remember my Vista serial number by heart.:mad:

saaya
10-13-2008, 07:35 PM
wierd issues...
i had loads of problems with windows right click formatting over the past years...
and running raid seems to not really be supported very well at all from microsoft...

I use fdisk from a 98SE bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com or the windows management console to format the drives.
the management console seems to work fine in 90% of the cases and fdisk has worked always for me, gotta love dos :D

http://www.abload.de/img/1cgq.jpg