PDA

View Full Version : Damaged rad, can it function?

Nater
08-07-2008, 12:55 AM
A year back I put a screw through the core of a PA120.1, it's been sitting in my closet since. Is there anyway that this radiator could be made to function? I'm guessing no, that is fubar. Anyhow, I'm cleaning out the parts closet and I'd just like to make sure before I toss it.

Waterlogged
08-07-2008, 01:00 AM
It depends how bad the damage really is...and for that, we would need some good clear pics to be able to tell you.

Kibbler
08-07-2008, 01:01 AM
It might be reparable, depending on the size of the hole and your skill with a soldering iron.

Nater
08-07-2008, 02:25 AM
It's a hole the exact same size a the 6x1/2 screws that come with the rad. The problem is that it goes very deep into the radiator.

Eddie3dfx
08-07-2008, 03:24 AM
can't you fill it with epoxy?

Nater
08-07-2008, 04:39 AM
I thought about that...

Any idea on how this will impact cooling performance?

MadHacker
08-07-2008, 05:03 AM
you could try soldering it...
if you think it is garbage then you don't realy have anything to loose.

Martinm210
08-07-2008, 05:06 AM
I fixed a hole just like that on one of my MCR320, as long as you can get at it with the tip of a soldering iron. I actually had to peel back one of the shroud flaps of metal to get to mine. But after that, it was simply using some soldering flux and the soldering iron. Rub the flux on the repair area until you've cleaned it really well and have little bits of solder bonding all the way around, then add in a good drop of solder. The radiator worked perfectly like that and still works every bit as good as the other one I didn't fubar with the screws.

The tubes are big on a PA and you have 12 down and 12 back up, a little bump of solder isn't going to make any bit of difference... Very very much worth fixing IMO.

Eddie3dfx
08-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Hmm.. Now that we are on the subject.
one of the threaded barb holes broke off my swiftech radiator. I was applying too much pressure cranking in a barb, since 3/8npt has more thread than these bspp barbs.
I tried applying copper solder and using a blowtorch. I then put water on but it leaks a little bit. It must not have filled the crevices all the way.
Should I just go ahead and epoxy?

71 (Bryan)
08-07-2008, 05:39 AM
if you cant fix it yourself, take it to an auto repair shop and they will take out the damaged row or you can send me it and ill fix but ill have to keep it too :up: