PDA

View Full Version : XP SP3 and Gigabyte ICH9R drivers

twilyth
08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
My GA-P35-DS4 running XP SP2 went to do it's daily update and dl'ed SP3. I installed and rebooted and it hung on the blue 'starting windows' logo screen.

So, I reinstalled from the cd, installed the network and sata drivers and then reinstalled SP3. Did this a couple of time and then did a fresh install by deleting the existing windows install. Same thing.

So I go poking around and it seems that there are some issues with SP3 and the Intel chipset.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Gigabyte has updated drivers (as of 7/21) but I don't want to touch them if I have to go through this again.

Any info would be appreciated.

xMrBunglex
08-06-2008, 04:37 PM
just use Intel's Matrix drivers. i'm running RAID-0 on XP SP 3 without issues. i have a different motherboard, but the same ICH9R south bridge.

twilyth
08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. But I didn't even install the drivers this time and set the controller to legacy IDE and still had the problem. Now its lookig like the nvidia 7xxx series drivers which I guess weren't WQHL (???). So once I reinstall XP (for the 5th time) I'll dl the drivers and try again. Almost makes me wish I'd gone wth IGP like most of my other machines.

xMrBunglex
08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
So once I reinstall XP (for the 5th time)

:rofl::ROTF: been there, done that. i feel your pain.

road-runner
08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I ran xp sp3 for awhile with no problems on my X38 DS4, now I am dual booting xp sp3 and vista 64 with no problems. I did notice a updated network driver for vista64 today and installed it.

Nasgul
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I reinstall XP recently (about a month ago) and downloaded the latest F6 drivers for my ICH-9R along with the Intel Matrix Storage and this time I noticed something different in the RAID menu (during display) and while 3DMark does not read my RAID as it did before, everything is running just fine.

I know for some people SP3 hasn't been all that great but so far it's worked for me........with the exception of ZA and an update from Windows which I had to download an update from ZA as it wouldn't allow me on the net with high stealth mode, but the 70483000 update fixed everything.

Here's how I did it: Install Windows.....then SP2 (because my windows is so old no SP is installed and SP3 won't install directly from it so.....) and after the SP2 install, next SP3.....reboot and then chipset drivers, reboot......then Matrix storage and then display drivers, the rest fallowed by.

twilyth
08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks Nasgul - I'm doing the same thing - old non-SPx install disk. I'm nearing the end of my 6th install. If it doesn't work, I'll try doing the SP2 to SP3 thing and only load the LAN and newest nvidia drivers - although I had a system hang when installing nv over original XP install. But this was resolved by a cold boot.

When this is done, I really really need to kill something. OK, kidding - sorta.