PDA

View Full Version : where can I buy a Feser 480 Rad in the US?

Aldy402
08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I've been waiting weeks to purchase this. I can't wait to get rid of my 3 year old TC PA120.3. The paint is all rotten and worn off...
I haven't seen any US retailers list this yet except FrozenCPU and as soon as it was listed it was (OOS). Last I heard the major shipment to the US was stuck in customs?? anybody have any updates or news to add? thanks

08-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm also looking for this rad ... in the exact same situation as the OP.

Martinm210
08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Keep an eye on Frozen as well as Danger Den, they are likely the ones that may see it first.

08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Is the Feser 480 currently the best 120.4 rad you can get?

pika198
08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
16 bucks more then the triple rad. Not bad

disruptfam
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
yeah good pricing

Martinm210
08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Is the Feser 480 currently the best 120.4 rad you can get?

I only test two 480's, the other was the HWlabs 480 GTX.

They are both awesome radiators, but the TFC was better under about 1800RPMs, the GTX was better above 1800 or so with the fans I tested with in one fan pull condition.

Considering my fan preference is 1350RPM yates, the TFC 480 is the best I've tested for that. It's also extremly low on restriction, so I've decided to us it in my upcoming CPU block testing.

I've been tinkering with some experimental tests these last few days to sort out my testing methods. Nothing like a nice 2C water delta..:D

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1902/cputesting1rx5.jpg

Aldy402
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
still MIA in the US as well as the shrouds..

Aldy402
08-29-2008, 09:05 AM
OK! Sidewinder is officially the first retailer to stock them in the US

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fexqu4xexper.html

BlueAqua
08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Damn I knew I should have waited for it to come in stock. I guess the 120.3 will do.

IanY
08-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Good for Gary. I personally wouldn't go near that with a 40 foot pole, but its great that its in stock at an attractive price.

Movieman
08-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I've been waiting weeks to purchase this. I can't wait to get rid of my 3 year old TC PA120.3. The paint is all rotten and worn off...
I haven't seen any US retailers list this yet except FrozenCPU and as soon as it was listed it was (OOS). Last I heard the major shipment to the US was stuck in customs?? anybody have any updates or news to add? thanks

Peh.. Small.. :wasntme:

chunkylover77
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Good for Gary. I personally wouldn't go near that with a 40 foot pole, but its great that its in stock at an attractive price.

Why? Seems to have done well with Martin's test.

IanY
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Why? Seems to have done well with Martin's test.

Oh, no doubt, its an excellent radiator. I have personal reasons why I wouldn't touch Feser products. I don't want to cloud up this good thread. If you really insist on knowing, then send me a PM.

mpower1001
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Martin, that is a nice setup you have there, are you gonna be using anything else than that Feser 480?

chunkylover77
08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh, no doubt, its an excellent radiator. I have personal reasons why I wouldn't touch Feser products. I don't want to cloud up this good thread. If you really insist on knowing, then send me a PM.

Someone already pointed me in the right direction.:) I was just wondering if there was a problem with the product that I was unaware of.

RickCain
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I was just wondering if there was a problem with the product that I was unaware of.

These radiators are best in class in performance and quality IMHO. :up:

IanY
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
What about a 50' pole. I know you'd get next to it with a 50 footer:yepp:

andyc

That'll be a safer distance. It also depends on the conditions of the wheelchair ramp :yepp:

NaeKuh
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
bah... radiators are boring.
People still dont know how to accurately calculate what rad they need.
They either majorly overkill, or majorly underkill.
:rofl:

Thermostat'd Chiller ETA 4 months. Hopefully.

:wasntme:

Martinm210
08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Wow, that's a much better price than I thought they would sell for. And no I'm not trading this rad for anything, I love big rads...nothing like an ice cold 2.5C delta to keep your CPU cold.

I still strongly believe with as close as the results are getting between water blocks, investing in an oversized radiator/fan system is the one area most people can gain. That doesn't have to be a single radiator, but it does simply things if you can fit it somewhere.

Glad to see Gary pull through yet again!!

NaeKuh
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Why would I want to wait 4 months for something I could get today:shrug:

andyc

because the best things take time to build. :rofl:

Not always will the best be prebuilt.

Im going full custom on the chiller. And its being built exactly how i want it.

And my tastes in stuff is "not normal". :rofl:

majestik
08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Damn, 160 bucks. That's way over the top, in my opinion.

I'm working on a chiller too - picked up a 6000BTU AC for a kickass price of $30 :hrhr:

Martinm210
08-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Damn, 160 bucks. That's way over the top, in my opinion.

Price was always my complaint too, but this is much better than the original $199 thought they told me when I previewed it.

A PA120.3 is $132, so that's around $44 per 120mm fan section. At this $163 price that's $41 per 120mm fan section, so it's actually more reasonably priced.

That's still not going to compete pricewise with a low cost radiator, but you also don't get the same level of quality. Most of the lower cost radiators have fin spacing that varies in density throughout and also have problems where the fins aren't completely soldered to the tubes. The premium priced radiators like the TFC, PA, and HWlabs GTX models don't have that fin/soldering problem. But along with that premium quality comes a premium price...

nuclearjock
09-03-2008, 07:42 AM
They are both awesome radiators, but the TFC was better under about 1800RPMs, the GTX was better above 1800 or so with the fans I tested with in one fan pull condition.

Martin,

My TFC is arriving today (from our guy Gary), is there a particular reason why you prefer the pull orientation over push???

PS.

I just sold my BI GTX480, the 4 x 150cfm delta's that Gary suggested were deafening...

I bought some moderate flow Panaflows and a 50 watt rheostat to control them down to where things are quite, That's the main reason for the TFC.

alacheesu
09-03-2008, 08:30 AM
My TFC is arriving today (from our guy Gary), is there a particular reason why you prefer the pull orientation over push??

Lookie here (http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html)

nuclearjock
09-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Lookie here (http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html)

Thanks.....

Martinm210
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I run slower speed fans, where at least in the one test I ran did a little better in pull.
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/FanShroudTest4-25mm1350.png

Push was better with the stronger 38mm fans at 2000RPM though,
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/FanShroudTest3-38mm2000.png
so pull is not always the best way to go.

It probably depends somewhat on the radiator as well...

DarthBeavis
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I am most likely putting two Feser 480s and one 360 into my Skulltrail rebuild. I will use push/pull Yate Loon mediums like usual (have at least 60 medium and 15 high speed ones here now). Should I get TFC shrouds as well?

Martinm210
09-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I am most likely putting two Feser 480s and one 360 into my Skulltrail rebuild. I will use push/pull Yate Loon mediums like usual (have at least 60 medium and 15 high speed ones here now). Should I get TFC shrouds as well?

The shrouds are a pretty minimal gain once you've gone push/pull, but they do look really nice if you're after something to emphasize the rads.

You'll have to share some build pics...I'm hoping to see some more cases start accepting the quad sizes, the price differences between a triple and quad are pretty small for the added benefit.:up:

nuclearjock
09-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Martin,

My first wc build employed a BI 480GTX rad. I have a "T" between my micro res and my pump inlet with ~14" OF 1\2" tubing pointing upwards for filling. After bleeding and running for ~ 3 or 4 days, the level in the "T" tube remained the same when I started and shutdown my system.

After switching to the Feser quad and running the system for about 5 days, my liquid level fluctuates about 7-8", in other words, it drops when I turn the system on, and rises when I turn the system off. Does this mean I have air trapped somewhere?? My temps are awesome, there are no air bubbles floatinq around, I'm just curious. I haven't played with the bleed screw on top of the rad (it's mounted vertically), is that something I may possibly have to bleed???

I've opened the bleed screw once while the pump was running and coolant came out immediately.

TIA, Nuke

Martinm210
09-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Martin,

My first wc build employed a BI 480GTX rad. I have a "T" between my micro res and my pump inlet with ~14" OF 1\2" tubing pointing upwards for filling. After bleeding and running for ~ 3 or 4 days, the level in the "T" tube remained the same when I started and shutdown my system.

After switching to the Feser quad and running the system for about 5 days, my liquid level fluctuates about 7-8", in other words, it drops when I turn the system on, and rises when I turn the system off. Does this mean I have air trapped somewhere?? My temps are awesome, there are no air bubbles floatinq around, I'm just curious. I haven't played with the bleed screw on top of the rad (it's mounted vertically), is that something I may possibly have to bleed???

I've opened the bleed screw once while the pump was running and coolant came out immediately.

TIA, Nuke

No, that's just pressure working on the flexible tubing. If it's returning to the same places, it's normal.
The GTX is a fair amount more restrictive than the TFC, that's probably why you're noticing the difference.

nuclearjock
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
No, that's just pressure working on the flexible tubing. If it's returning to the same places, it's normal.
The GTX is a fair amount more restrictive than the TFC, that's probably why you're noticing the difference.

Just to make sure, I started with the GTX, and now I'm running the TFC and noticing the difference. Wouldn't the more restrictive GTX cause more "breathing" in the flexible tubing. I would think the less restrictive TFC would tend to eliminate some of that.

Martinm210
09-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Just to make sure, I started with the GTX, and now I'm running the TFC and noticing the difference. Wouldn't the more restrictive GTX cause more "breathing" in the flexible tubing. I would think the less restrictive TFC would tend to eliminate some of that.

It's not breathing, it's pressure. It would depend on where your radiator and restrictions are relative to the tubing that's expanding slightly when under pressure.

If you're tubing was very short between say the pump and the radiator, you would have far more pressure in that short line and due to the rads higher pressure drop, less afterwards. In the TFC loop you'll have higher flow rates therefore higher pressure drops on the other components and potentially higher pressure running in the tubing behind the radiator.

Since pressure drop is exponential relative to flow rate, it increases dramatically as flow rate increases.

It could always be an air bubble I suppose, but I've always had that down under flow, up when off scenario in my T-lines...The GTX for me is harder to bleed air out than the TFC because of the reduced flow rate.

nuclearjock
09-10-2008, 01:16 AM
It's not breathing, it's pressure. It would depend on where your radiator and restrictions are relative to the tubing that's expanding slightly when under pressure.

If you're tubing was very short between say the pump and the radiator, you would have far more pressure in that short line and due to the rads higher pressure drop, less afterwards. In the TFC loop you'll have higher flow rates therefore higher pressure drops on the other components and potentially higher pressure running in the tubing behind the radiator.

Since pressure drop is exponential relative to flow rate, it increases dramatically as flow rate increases.

It could always be an air bubble I suppose, but I've always had that down under flow, up when off scenario in my T-lines...The GTX for me is harder to bleed air out than the TFC because of the reduced flow rate.

Thanks Martin,

Anyway so far so good with the TFC. Nice quiet fans and awesome temps.

Next month I may try two in series, but I see Gary's already sold out.

Glad I got my order in early...