PDA

View Full Version : MIP's/VRM-reg block DFI-P35/X38,48... (no boot!)

c.freak
08-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey.. Is it possible that the board has been damaged after a few attemps of booting up? The thing is that i mounted my V-reg block put everything together and so and when im trying to boot up it goes on and off in loops. After i removed the board from the case and removed some blocks and so i realize that the V-reg block never touched the VRM-area at all so right now i wonder if the board has taken damaged during these few tryies of booting?

If the board shouldn't have taken damage it might be my cpu, really don't need to mention why this one is the main problem.

c.freak
08-05-2008, 09:59 AM
No, i did not. Should i really had to use that?

WoZZeR999
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Yes, The DFI board uses digital VRM's, they are a lot smaller. The SMD's behind them are actually taller, so unless you used some sort of TIM then they are probably blown. Do you see and chips or burn marks around the MOSFET area?

Praz
08-05-2008, 10:20 AM
After i removed the board from the case and removed some blocks and so i realize that the V-reg block never touched the VRM-area at all so right now i wonder if the board has taken damaged during these few tryies of booting?
If the board was booted without contact between the Volterra PWM chips and the heatsink it is most likely trash now.

c.freak
08-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Yes, The DFI board uses digital VRM's, they are a lot smaller. The SMD's behind them are actually taller, so unless you used some sort of TIM then they are probably blown. Do you see and chips or burn marks around the MOSFET area?Actually haven't checked for burnmarks yet but as you + others say the board is problably unusable at this moment and this is kind of what i would have expected by my own thoughts to.
So freakin stuppid not to check the contact right after mounting :mad: I'll wont be having a nice time at work tomorrow :shakes:

Eddie3dfx
08-05-2008, 10:31 AM
If the board was booted without contact between the Volterra PWM chips and the heatsink it is most likely trash now.

Why would the heatsink be trashed?

I am not sure about DFI's warranty, but the heatsink should be more than fine

c.freak
08-05-2008, 10:59 AM

I am not sure about DFI's warranty, but the heatsink should be more than fineCourse the heatsink's not trash!. Some would have sent the board back to the shop for RMA and ofcourse.. get a shiny new one for only a couple of bucks (if shippingcosts goes with that) but no, i've trashed to the board by own stupidity so i won't retain anything cause of this.

Well! Im getting a x48 T2R this time... and a new one next year for Nehalem :up:

WoZZeR999
08-05-2008, 11:01 AM

I am not sure about DFI's warranty, but the heatsink should be more than fine

The Heatsink is fine, the mobo would be trashed.

Praz
08-05-2008, 11:34 AM
The Heatsink is fine, the mobo would be trashed.
Thanks WoZZeR999. I thought that was a pretty clear sentence but guess not. Because of the packaging size and the power draw at turn-on the slave chips are unable to dissipate the heat without a heatsink at ambient temperatures.

c.freak
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Well! I got the x48 now and i prepared myself for a pc-startup this night, but no no.. no GO this time either. Even though you remove the hardrubbered o-ring's from the board the ******* VRM block still doesn't get in contact with the smd's. How can the customer even sell these block's ?? it's like the work never been tested at all or something, this really grinds my gears :mad:
Course i can make it fit but c'mon, it's just stupid!