PDA

View Full Version : Can't Acess Newly Added RAID Array

HiJon89
08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
I have a computer with XP installed and one hard drive attached. I just added a Highpoint RocketRaid 3520 RAID controller that has 7 hard drives in RAID5 connected to it. When I booted into XP after adding the controller, it recognized the new controller and installed drivers and everything seemed fine. In device manager a new disk drive appeared call HPT Disk 0_0 SCSI Disk Device.

But nothing shows up under My Computer or Disk Management so it seems there's no way to access the drives. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows, but I just wanted to copy my movies over to the array before formatting. Any ideas?

JustusIV
08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Seems like a silly question but you created your "raid set" and your "volume set" right? After that it should show up in your disk management.

HiJon89
08-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I went in to the RAID controllers BIOS utility and set up all the drives as RAID5 and initialized them and the controller shows the array status as Normal.

EDIT: Also, WD Lifeguard Tools and SeaTools can both see the array but neither can do anything with it (ie, format, partition, etc.)

JustusIV
08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
it recognized the new controller and installed drivers and everything seemed fine.

Are you using the correct drivers? and most current?

*EDIT*
The raid set is the drives involved in the array.
The volume set is where you get to set your raid type etc.
Sounds like you have that setup.

HiJon89
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Are you using the correct drivers? and most current?

*EDIT*
The raid set is the drives involved in the array.
The volume set is where you get to set your raid type etc.
Sounds like you have that setup.
Yes, I'm using the newest ones from the Highpoint website. I'm going to try updating the BIOS on my motherboard, it might be that the old BIOS doesn't have 64-bit LBA support.

Gogeta
08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
If the 3520 is brand new make sure you update its firmware/BIOS. I remember mine was running an older version than what was available from their site.

HiJon89
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
If the 3520 is brand new make sure you update its firmware/BIOS. I remember mine was running an older version than what was available from their site.
I have already used the 3520 on the same motherboard before with 2x500GB drives and it worked fine, but this time I'm using 7x750GB and I added the controller after Windows was installed. I assume it has to be that the array is over 2TB or that I didn't install the controller with a fresh install that has to be causing the problem.

Gogeta
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I have already used the 3520 on the same motherboard before with 2x500GB drives and it worked fine, but this time I'm using 7x750GB and I added the controller after Windows was installed. I assume it has to be that the array is over 2TB or that I didn't install the controller with a fresh install that has to be causing the problem.

Ah, yes. Definitely the 2TB XP32 limitation. You'll need to use a GUID partition table for the volume to be recognized but GPT (GUID Partition Table) is not supported in XP32...you'd have to switch to XP64, Vista or Server 2008.

http://www.carltonbale.com/2007/05/how-to-break-the-2tb-2-terabyte-file-system-limit/

JustusIV
08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Correct me if i am wrong here, but xp 32bit should still see the array, you just cant make a partition over 2TB.

Gogeta
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Correct me if i am wrong here, but xp 32bit should still see the array, you just cant make a partition over 2TB.

I believe that's correct.

HiJon89
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I just formatted and installed XP x64 and everything is going great! At first it wouldn't let me make a partition over 2TB but I right-clicked on the disk and there was an option to use GUID Partition Tables and after that smooth sailing :)

Gogeta
08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I just formatted and installed XP x64 and everything is going great! At first it wouldn't let me make a partition over 2TB but I right-clicked on the disk and there was an option to use GUID Partition Tables and after that smooth sailing :)

Love the volume name. :yepp:

Good to see everything is working!