PDA

View Full Version : Primochill Ghost Fittings

faster3200
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi guys, I am curious what you guys think about these fittings. They look really good and I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with them.

If they turn out to be good I will probably order these or the D-Tek fittings. I would love to buy the Bitspower compression fittings but they are FAR too pricey.

Link (http://www.ncixus.com/products/28676/F-G14-12-Ni/Primochill/) if you don't know what I am talking about :p:.

Waterlogged
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, the Ghost fittings never went over really well when they were originally introduced here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175622).....

faster3200
08-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Ahhh, I must have missed that thread in the search. Yeah only hand tight = :down:.

RRR, I actually prefer the D-Tek barbs to just about anything I have tried due to their wider lip. If I can manage to sell some old hardware I might just pony up for some compression fittings. Thanks for the advice.

DarthBeavis
08-05-2008, 12:26 AM
I use Bitspower compression fittings as do many others and they are tooless as well. They work great. Don't see why Geno's Ghosts would not work well.

Zaskar
08-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Whats wrong with hand tightening? The BP compressions can only be hand tightened. Any tighter then that id think would cause damage.

If your strong enough you can over tighten a barb into plexi res/blocks with just hand tightening.

Is this wrong thinking? I really didn't think you were supposed to use a wrench/spanner to tighten the barbs. Figured some just had the option incase they couldn't be removed easily after use for a few months.

IanY
08-05-2008, 07:08 AM
And that's why some of us stay away from compressions. My view is hand tightening is dangerous. I always go 1/4 turn further than hand tightening with a wrench.

If I had compression fittings, I would wrap a cloth around the knurl section and use a pair of pliers to tighten. Hand tightening is dangerous IMO. The o-rings don't work unless they are slightly compressed.

Zaskar
08-05-2008, 07:12 AM
And that's why some of us stay away from compressions. My view is hand tightening is dangerous. I always go 1/4 turn further than hand tightening with a wrench.

If I had compression fittings, I would wrap a cloth around the knurl section and use a pair of pliers to tighten. Hand tightening is dangerous IMO.

You probably want to wrap a cloth around it anyways, if your connecting many of them those knurled edges will sand paper your hands. Some of the points are sharp enough to cut you if your not careful.

IanY
08-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm not headed that direction.

lyl
08-05-2008, 07:24 AM
I dont see the perks of these fittings. Anyone care to explain?

IanY
08-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Well, presumably it removes the need for unslightly hose clamps. That seems like the only perk to me of compressions, at the expense of a lot of flaws.

Zaskar
08-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, presumably it removes the need for unslightly hose clamps. That seems like the only perk to me of compressions, at the expense of a lot of flaws.

Im curious, What flaws? Never heard anyone bring any up before aside from the increased diameter, not letting you use them on very closely spaced holes.

Usually it was just the increased price that made people not want them as they thought it wasn't worth it.

lyl
08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh ok... Seems 7/16" tubing is the easiest way to run w/o clamps. I only plan to switch to 1/2" tubing when I get some compression fittings. BP Black Sparkle... mmmm

IanY
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Im curious, What flaws? Never heard anyone bring any up before aside from the increased diameter, not letting you use them on very closely spaced holes.

Usually it was just the increased price that made people not want them as they thought it wasn't worth it.

I'm not any sort of expert. Its just my opinion.

Here are a couple things I'm not willing to give up:

(1) I find hand tightening (as per Nikhsub1's opinion in the link) very dangerous. I have a habit of 1/4 turn with a wrench beyond hand tightening.

(2) On a radiator, I find the compromises by using adapters unacceptable. I look at the big bore BP G-3/8 fitting and its heavenly. Big bore straight through. Put the compression with the McMaster adapter next to the big bore. I'm unwilling to accept the constriction.

(3) I find the lack of hose clamps unacceptable, but that's the definition of a compression. Naekuh himself said its ok up to a RD30. I place my money bets on over-engineering, not adequate engineering. If its not acceptable for use with a RD30, I'm not touching it.

My opinions are irrespective of price. The price differential is there but its not a factor in my decision.

Its just my opinion. And that of Xilikon and others.

faster3200
08-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I dont see the perks of these fittings. Anyone care to explain?
If you are talking about the ghost fittings I originally posted about the point is that the hose fits COMPLETELY over the entire barb. It basically just looks like a hose is coming out of the cpu block, rad, etc.

I didn't know that compression fittings were only hand tight. Maybe it is just my past experiences dealing with aquariums and plumbing but hand tightening never really got anything super tight. However, seeing how many people use compression fittings successfully on this board I think I will revisit this opinion,
although I tend to agree with IanY.

Waterlogged
08-05-2008, 08:40 AM
IMO, the anti-compression camp, seem to be the same as the anti-$$$ spent on bling camp...

If my BP Compression fittings withstand Dual MCP355 with XSPC tops loop, they dang sure will withstand an RD-30 loop...

I'm not anti-compression...but I am anti-$$$ on bling. :stick:

Chewbenator
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
These aren't compression right? They just share hand tightening in common with them. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Aren't most barbs supposed to have a little channel where the o-ring can go into? I seem to remember people not suggesting Swiftech metal barbs because of this.

Waterlogged
08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
These aren't compression right? They just share hand tightening in common with them. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Aren't most barbs supposed to have a little channel where the o-ring can go into? I seem to remember people not suggesting Swiftech metal barbs because of this.

...and that's another reason not to use these.

migueld
08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
What's the difference between these "Ghost fittings" and compression fittings? They seem the same to me, but for some reason the seller makes it sound like it's a new thing. :rolleyes:

Zaskar
08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Their not just for looks, they could me matte black and id still get them cause of how they work. Cant assume people only like them cause their chrome.

Waterlogged
08-05-2008, 09:04 AM
What's the difference between these "Ghost fittings" and compression fittings? They seem the same to me, but for some reason the seller makes it sound like it's a new thing. :rolleyes:

There is no nut to hold the tubing on, the knurl on the fitting is the only thing that holds the tubing on.

leo_bsb
08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Koolance compression fittings can be tightened with a wrench.

faster3200
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Koolance compression fittings can be tightened with a wrench.
Hey, where can you find those? I have checked all the places I normally go but I still can't manage to find some that are the right size.

Zaskar
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey, where can you find those? I have checked all the places I normally go but I still can't manage to find some that are the right size.

Unless you use thinwalled tubing you don't want them. They don't make ones for thickwalled tubes.

faster3200
08-05-2008, 02:51 PM
The Koolance 1/2" comps only allow you to use 1/2" x 5/8" tubing..... :down:

You can find them atKOOLANCE (http://www.koolance.com)

Ahhh, so I did find them... I was hoping they made 3/4" OD fittings. Seems Bitspower is still king in that regard.

Thanks for the help everyone. I love how quickly you threads get responded to.

71 (Bryan)
08-05-2008, 04:04 PM
looks like a bp fatboys knock off

eXa
08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
(2) On a radiator, I find the compromises by using adapters unacceptable. I look at the big bore BP G-3/8 fitting and its heavenly. Big bore straight through. Put the compression with the McMaster adapter next to the big bore. I'm unwilling to accept the constriction.

If they only came in 5\8 barb size... that would be perfect. Im looking for that for my PA rad. G3\8 5\8barb...

Anemone
08-05-2008, 07:31 PM
BP would do themselves a favor and build a small thin wrench mount into their compression fittings

IanY
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
If they only came in 5\8 barb size... that would be perfect. Im looking for that for my PA rad. G3\8 5\8barb...

NOW we're talking, buddy!! G-3/8 with 5/8 barbs !! Talk about performance !!

Boogerlad
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
if people are paranoid at the fact bp compression fittings are only hand tightened, wouldn't pliers do the job?

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I use 4 of these ghost fittings on my latest gfx loop because it is all I could get quickly at the local shop. I have no complaints except for the price. but they are fittings and they work... :up:

faster3200
08-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I use 4 of these ghost fittings on my latest gfx loop because it is all I could get quickly at the local shop. I have no complaints except for the price. but they are fittings and they work... :up:
Thanks, they seem cheap though. $4.10 for a pair is easily do-able.

Anemone
08-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Pliers with a rubber grip thingy works fine - trying to avoid plier damage to the fittings.

Jah
08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Anyone with a picture of a mounted ghost fitting? Tried to find one but cant seem to find one.