PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Over-Clocking Help Please!!!

vegettoxp
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Hello there Guys, Hopefully my question isn’t too weird, but I really need your guys input on this question of mine. As most of you may know I was lucky enough to get hooked up with a Free Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Processor clocked at 3.2GHz with 12MB of Cache and 1600FSB. If you didn’t know this before, now you know. I finally got my new Rig Up and Running and so far everything has been working out Really Well. The only think that I am gona change is the TV Turner, but other than that, I am really having fun with my system.

I have NEVER Over-Clocked anything in my entire life. A lot of people told me that I should OC my QX9770, but I was a bit nervous and afraid that I might kill the processor. Now this is where you guys come in. I am looking for some Good OC Guides and if you guys know of any, please share them with me. Also, what are the Pro’s and Con’s Of OC? And just to let you guys know, I am gona be OC on Air Cooling. I am not going near Water-Cooling yet. I mean the processor I have is based on 45-nm and I have read a lot of info online and some people have pushed the QX9770 on Air-Cooling into the 4GHZ Plus area. So please comment on this topic and help me out guys. Funny story is that I use to be so sacred to even Up-Date my System Bios in the old days, but now I am cool. So help this newbie out guys.

Quick Questions:

1) What are the Pro’s and Con’s of OC and in my case Air-Cooling OC?
2) Should I OC my System Ram too?
3) Should I also look into getting higher clocked System Ram (Like G-Skill DDR-2 PC2 8500 Kits)?

My Rig Config Info:

CM Stacker 830 Case
Corsair HX620W Power Supply
Asus Maximus Formula SE Mother-Board
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 3.2GHz Processor
G-Skills DDR-2 PC2 6400 - 4GB System Ram (I haven’t even OC my Ram Yet, So Scared!):shrug:
EVGA 8800GT Graphic Card

And if you guys need more info on my Rig, Please let me know. I hope with your guys help, I am finally get into the OC Party. Thank You for all your help guys. Your Guys Rock!!!:up:

P.S. Fusion:welcome:

DoGMaN
08-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Before we start I have a few questions. First how is the airflow in your case? Does your case get hot? If so is there any way to improve the airflow?

Heat and high voltage are the number on killers of CPU's and RAM. If your case maintains a reasonable temperature then overclocking shouldn't be an issue. Simple fixes can include simply leaving the side of your case off if it does get too hot.

As this is your first foray into overclocking I would suggest that you take small steps. First go into your BIOS by pressing the Delete key at your POST screen. Spend some time familiarizing yourself with the different pages and settings. It looks like you will be looking for the "Extreme Tweaking" tab. In that tab you'll have the majority of OC options. Start increasing the FSB slowly booting into windows and running some sort of stress test such as Prime95. If you don't get any errors after a few hours try increasing the FSB a little more. Sooner or later you'll get to a fsb that will cause errors in Prime or cause windows not to boot at all. When this happens you can either increase the CPU voltage or back the FSB off back to your last stable speed. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe a little over simplified but it should give you a start.

Cheers, Dog

little_scrapper
08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
If there are lots of unfamiliar bios settings then keep a notepad handy and write down all the setting in a list, then next to that you can jot down what you set them at, and in the end if it was a success or not. This way you can keep track of settings that work. Sooo that when you get a failed boot and all setting revert back to default you dont have to guess what thigs were at when they worked.

Trust me, unless you have a very simple bios or a photographic memory for the settings, this is a big time saver.

Now, as for that TV tuner card you mentioned. The one at the end of my sig is outstanding. And as far as I know, its the only TRUE dual HD tuner on the market. There are lots of dual tuners that only do over-the-air HD and the other is side is analog. Or even one side is over-the-air only and the other is coax HD. Mine is a single coax input and is a true DUAL HD tuner. As a matter of fact, if you have dual monitors it is supposed to be able to produce 4 HD pictures at the same time. I assume watching picture-in-picture on each screen. I havent tried it yet. The only downside so far is that if I WANT to watch over-the-air HD programming I will need a A/B switch so I dont have to manually switch the coax connectors from the cable to the antenna.

vegettoxp
08-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Ok Guys, I just got back from work and read your guys responds. First of all thanks for the input and I will look into your comments. Here is my feed back.

1) What is the best way for me to find out my MAX VID for my QX9770?

2) Regarding the Air-Cooling Solution, I am looking into buying the New Thermaltake True 120 Black Edition and I am gona put one or two fans with that cooler. Your Thoughts on this Heatsink?

3) And on the Ram topic, I wanted to know what are the Pro's and Con's On OC Ram? I guess it would run faster, but I am guessing that I would need some Ram coolers too right? Your Thoughts?

Once again Thx for the input.

P.S. Fusion

vegettoxp
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Also guys I forgot to ask you one important thing regarding Air Cooling. Like I said I am planning to get the Thermalright True Black Cooler With Probably Two Fans (Any Recommendations?)

And I was hoping to push my QX9770 either close to 4GHz or at 4GHz. So the question is, Will the Thermalright True Black Cooler W/ Two Fans be Able to keeps my Temp in the 30's or in the 40's?

Your Thoughts?

Kondik
08-06-2008, 01:45 AM
There are two powerfull Air Cooler and thats TRUE 120 X and IFX 14 [140 ? ] , with 2 FAN's if they aren't able to handle it, then its water time. But 40 is a bit underrated

vegettoxp
08-06-2008, 11:42 AM
In your opinion what temp I am look at with Clock Speed of 4GHz or Near with Thermalright TRUE Black and With Two Fans?