PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate noob question. Is there a real input/ouput on radiators?

Eddie3dfx
08-04-2008, 10:49 AM
If there is, I spent the last years watercooling not knowing this.

Big_Daddy
08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
The plain answer is no.

Depending on rad orientation input/output can aide in bleeding air from the system, but other than that, no.

71 (Bryan)
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
no that i know of since most rads are symmetrical

WoZZeR999
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
While the radiator itself does not have an input/output designation, normally there's a reason why people use a certain method to design each barb as an input and output barb.

71 (Bryan)
08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
well if you have on barb higher than the other it would be a good idea to use the lowest barb as input so all the air can escape from the outlet

Webby
08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
On the majority of rads which barb is the inlet or the outlet is a moot point as the flow goes up one side and down the other. However in some cases for example the Black Ice 480 GTX runs front and back see pic below (from Martins site (Link (http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/HWlabs480GTX-Review.html)), rehosted)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8818/hwlabs480gtx2passflowqf1.png

In this case to get maximum performance you want to have the cold air flowing over the cold water (and the hot air over the hot water) this ensures the highest possible gradient over the whole radiator. The differences are probably not huge but it will have an effect (and this Xtremesystems after all) so in this case deciding which barb should be the inlet/outlet will be slightly more important.

Eddie3dfx
08-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Hmm, besides the gtx 480, are there any other rads that have specific side requirements?
I have a bix 120, mcr320, radi 240, mcr220

Kibbler
08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
In this case to get maximum performance you want to have the cold air flowing over the cold water (and the hot air over the hot water) this ensures the highest possible gradient over the whole radiator. The differences are probably not huge but it will have an effect (and this Xtremesystems after all) so in this case deciding which barb should be the inlet/outlet will be slightly more important.
I think you meant cold air over the hot water?

sirheck
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
If there is, I spent the last years watercooling not knowing this.

I see no difference on the TC radiators.
The ST radiators have an in/out.

And i do see a flow difference with them.:shrug:
I run my ST radiators as they say to run them.

Martinm210
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Only the HWlabs GTX rads that I know of, and even with that the correct direction is debated. I had some initial thoughts to test both ways, but I never got around to it and they are currently running in my system. Anyhow the results I got were obtained in setting it up such that the second pass of water is on the cold air side of the radiator. My thought is allowing both sides to cool an equal amount. The first pass gets cooled from the warm air and the second pass gets cooled by the coldest air coming into the radiator.

The GTX really has some interesting and advanced features (thinner tubes and front to back 2 pass), I'd be interested in seeing HWlabs work up a double thickness GTX560 with an open finned design similar to the GTS, but optimized for 140mm fans. That would be awesome.:D

Lloyd
08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
The GTX really has some interesting and advanced features (thinner tubes and front to back 2 pass), I'd be interested in seeing HWlabs work up a double thickness GTX560 with an open finned design similar to the GTS, but optimized for 140mm fans. That would be awesome.:D

That does sound good! :)

Webby
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I think you meant cold air over the hot water?

No I meant exactly what I said cold air over cold water, heat transfer is all about driving forces and that driving force is the temperature differance between the air and the radiator. This difference is maintained to a maximum over the entire radiator by cooling the coldest water with the coldest air.

An example, you want to cool some water using some more water flowing on either side of a copper pipe you have two options they are,
1. Run the hot water and cold water in the same direction, co-current flow as you suggested.
2. Run the hot water and cold water in opposite directions. counter-current flow as I suggested.

So in both cases our "hot" water starts at 35oC and our "cold" water starts at 20oC both are supplied at the same flow rate, and we have an infinately long pipe to cool in.

Q. What is the minimum temperature that it is possible to achieve with this setup using co-current flow?

A. If you said 27.5oC congratulations have a gold star! This is because as you cool the "hot" water you heat the "cold" water when they reach the same temperature 27.5oC that is it no more cooling.

Q. Now what is the answer for a counter-current flow system?

A. 20oC! Because you use the coldest "cold" water to cool the coldest "hot" water you maintain a gratient to cool past the mid point.

Hopefully that explains it a bit better? Now you are unlikely to heat the air to the same temperature as the water (especially at high airflow) in a water cooling radiator but the principle remains the same.

Serpentarius
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Hmm, besides the gtx 480, are there any other rads that have specific side requirements?
I have a bix 120, mcr320, radi 240, mcr220

i think only Black Ice has that unique rad flow .. other just U-Pass or Single Pass. In fact, i've just learned now that Black Ice has such a feature .. lol

Anyhow the results I got were obtained in setting it up such that the second pass of water is on the cold air side of the radiator. My thought is allowing both sides to cool an equal amount. The first pass gets cooled from the warm air and the second pass gets cooled by the coldest air coming into the radiator.

i'm curious, have you tried reversing it? is it same/worst with reversed air flow?

adpr_02
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Have you had word of any such radiator in existence, or even on the drawing boards? It would find a very nice home in my computer. Actually that and a double 160mm:p:.

Eddie3dfx
08-05-2008, 05:52 AM
http://www.docmicro.com/images/pieces/GTX560w.jpg

This is the GTX 560