PDA

View Full Version : RAID question.

JayG30
08-02-2008, 04:48 PM
What I want to accomplish is I want to be able to dual boot XP and Vista. I want to separate OS and data to simplify any OS issues requiring reinstall (not sure if I want Apps with OS or data). And I want to have redundancy for my data in a RAID1, but NOT including any OS.

I am working with two 750GB SATA drives to accomplish this. Can it be done? Is it a good idea? Disadvantages/Advantages?

I also have 1 external 300GB 3.0Gb/s eSATA drive and 1 external USB drive.

I know this would be a whole lot easier if I just add a third drive for OS and run the two 750GB drives in RAID1. The issue I've run into with this is that my Corsair power supply only comes with two SATA cables, both containing two connectors. One of these cables has to run up to the top of a case for the DVD burner. The other runs to the bottom of the case for the two SATA drives. I'm not sure how I could house and power another drive with this power supply unless they sell some sort of SATA power splitter to add between the extra drive. The other option I had was perhaps loading the OS on some old 80GB IDE drives I have lying around. I'm afraid that there might be a performance hit with this though...?

Trying to figure out how to do this has given me a major headache. :(

dengyong
08-02-2008, 05:03 PM
I can't help you sort out the raid question, but one of these (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164&products_id=1220) will solve your sata power problem.

JayG30
08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I can't help you sort out the raid question, but one of these (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164&products_id=1220) will solve your sata power problem.

Hum, I'm unsure but could I run this off of the other SATA connection, so I would have 3 connectors in a row instead of the 2 currently? Or would this effect the voltage being supplied to the drives? Any tutorials on doing this?

dengyong
08-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Three hard drives on one cable usually isn't a problem. What size is your psu ?

JayG30
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Three hard drives on one cable usually isn't a problem. What size is your psu ?

I have a Corsair HX520. I actually just noticed that the HX620 comes with two 800mm SATA cables with 3 heads on each, which is exactly what I need. I wonder if Corsair or whoever sells these seperately. If so I'd order one so it is simple and matches everything.

I also noticed that they sell a female SATA to dual male SATA adapter on that site. Should be easier than me going the DIY route.

EDIT: Was just checking the Corsair support forum and a member named RAM GUY was forwarding info on to customer service for a cable someone was requesting. I'm guessing I can contact them and get the cable I need from the HX620. So that is certainly an option if I decide to add a third drive. What would be a good/cheap drive to use for the OS's. Still interested in peoples thoughts on the RAID as well. Thanks.

dengyong
08-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I have a Corsair HX520. I actually just noticed that the HX620 comes with two 800mm SATA cables with 3 heads on each, which is exactly what I need. I wonder if Corsair or whoever sells these seperately. If so I'd order one so it is simple and matches everything.

I also noticed that they sell a female SATA to dual male SATA adapter on that site. Should be easier than me going the DIY route.

EDIT: Was just checking the Corsair support forum and a member named RAM GUY was forwarding info on to customer service for a cable someone was requesting. I'm guessing I can contact them and get the cable I need from the HX620. So that is certainly an option if I decide to add a third drive. What would be a good/cheap drive to use for the OS's. Still interested in peoples thoughts on the RAID as well. Thanks.

The connector that I linked you to is the same as the ones that come on your cables and could be installed in 60 seconds.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

JayG30
08-02-2008, 09:13 PM
The connector that I linked you to is the same as the ones that come on your cables and could be installed in 60 seconds.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

EDIT: OK I think I get what you are saying now. I can get a "pass through" connector and put that onto the existing cable and snap it into place. Thus no soldering or running wires or anything. Is that right? I was thinking I would need to remove one of the connectors and add another loop of wire for the third connector.

Hopefully one of the RAID guys will come by and tell me if a third SATA drive is even worth it.

dengyong
08-02-2008, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=JayG30;3186804]EDIT: OK I think I get what you are saying now. I can get a "pass through" connector and put that onto the existing cable and snap it into place. Thus no soldering or running wires or anything. Is that right? QUOTE]

Thats right. :yepp:

JayG30
08-03-2008, 10:54 AM
OK well I decided to snap open the external 300GB SATA drive I mentioned. Inside is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (ST3300622AS). I think I'll just use this along with the Samsung 750GB Spinpoints.

So now I'm trying to decide how to use the three drives to do what I want in the best way. Here is what I've planned to do. Use the Seagate 300GB drive with a 15GB partition for XP and a 40GB partition for Vista (just to be on the safe side). Partition the rest of the drive for installing applications. Run the two 750GB drives in RAID1 to store all important documents, music, video, etc..

Does this sound like a good idea? I was wondering what drive/partition I should install my drivers. Also I've read that Outlook requires you to relocate the .pst files to your storage drive as it defaults to the OS drive by default. True? Are there other common programs that this happens I need to watch for? Also when installing the OS you automatically get a program files folder. I'm under the impression that this NEEDS to remain as it contains explorer which windows won't function without. I'm guessing Vista does a similar thing during installation.