PDA

View Full Version : 24v from PC PSU

Marci
07-23-2002, 09:50 AM
Not sure where to put this as it applies to air, water & phase change cooling at the same-time, so figured anyone using any of the above would be overclocking, so here I'll post it!

Not sure how common knowledge this is buyt figured some of you lot could do with knowing if you already didn't...

It's possible using 2x PSUs to get 24v to be able to run the higher spec pelts... and the instructions are here:

http://www.pureoc.com/eXtremeCPUOC_3.asp

DisposableHero
07-23-2002, 12:26 PM
ive heard its not really that safe... but what is these days :D

Marci
07-23-2002, 12:30 PM
as long as u dont touch the psus casing together or allow them to touch via the case etc, and remove earth from yer plug... not really safe at all, but price u pay for skimping cash by not buying a 24v psu...

BE WARNED... FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS LINKED TO ABOVE IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS AND NEITHER XTREME OR MYSELF CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE SHOULD U BUGGER IT UP AND CAUSE THYSELF DAMAGE!

Thought I'd better add that!

DisposableHero
07-23-2002, 12:44 PM
one of the pics are wrong there... and that psu he links to.. isnt 24v.. i know that cuz i have it :p

DisposableHero
07-23-2002, 12:48 PM
and also... u cant use the same psu thats running your system cam you? i would think it would give 24v to whole system!

Marci
07-23-2002, 12:52 PM
er, yeah that too... and i know the pics r wrong, but u get the drift... just follow what he says, not wot the pic shows...

Yeah, I've got one too, the good old "MeanWell" / Swiftech PSU... v.handy...

DisposableHero
07-23-2002, 01:27 PM
dont suppose you know how to get more that 13.8v out of it?

Liquide
07-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I was the one who wrote the article :)

There is nothing wrong with the pics, they show how you get 17v from the PSU and I think I said that, I only wanted 17v because it's the optimal voltage for a 24v peltier. Or actually 18v is the optimal voltage but let's not get piky :)

And you can use one of the PSU's for the rest of the system, the mod only affect the two cables that you mod.

DisposableHero
07-23-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Liquide
Hi,

I was the one who wrote the article :)

There is nothing wrong with the pics, they show how you get 17v from the PSU and I think I said that, I only wanted 17v because it's the optimal voltage for a 24v peltier. Or actually 18v is the optimal voltage but let's not get piky :)

And you can use one of the PSU's for the rest of the system, the mod only affect the two cables that you mod.

loook at the 3rd pic then go to the 4th.. something changes around.. the black cable is now in red or something like that...

and thats good to know about not needing another psu :)

i may try this... combined with my swiftech psu... dunno what to do about the grounding stuff.. that doesnt really make sense to me

Liquide
07-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Damn it!

Haven't noticed that before... how da hell could that have happend?

Now I am confused which one is right :)

The last one should be right...I think...let me think :)

Liquide
07-23-2002, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to say that if you are going to do this mod use a very thick cables that connects the PSU's ( the white one in the article )

If you use a thin one it will burn in a matter or minutes and you won't even notice it.

The cable should have anything wrapped around it like rubber or so... it will also start burning :rolleyes:

DisposableHero
07-23-2002, 03:16 PM
hehe i know!

ive used cheap wires to power my pelt.. they melted like crazy!!

stompah
07-23-2002, 09:03 PM
I have a slightly better way. I am not sure of the amps it puts out nor the exact voltage as I have only used junk PSUs to test this.

Take the MB connector and use the blue wire for ground and the yellow wire for positive. My junk 250w PSU puts out 23.5v with this method, when powering my 120mm Delta it falls 21.6v. Using this with my fan I have noticed that if teh PSU is on I cannot connect a stopped fan straight to the yellow wire it shorts the PSU and shuts it down. But if I spin the fan up with the purple wire the switch it over to the yellow I am ok. Also if I have the wires connectd for 24v when the PSu is off when I start it it spins up the fan no problem.

Need pics to prove it? just ask.

DisposableHero
07-23-2002, 10:16 PM
post some pics :)

also i tried this earlier today.. worked.. but caused my water temps to go up higher which made my cpu temp actually not as good..

so i backed it down