PDA

View Full Version : XS Assault.......Operation Viking.(Stats hounds please check in)

vaio
08-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Greetings :)

This thread is merely a stratagem for fending off the nits who say nay and putting a lil pressure on the vikings at DC Vault.

The idea of this thread is to form a cohesive plan of attack for those of you interested in vault pointage.

As we go along I shall refine the details of targetted projects and in due course will edit the opening post with a concise attack plan (or create a separate posting for it).

So please feel free to post your input and please bear with me, as this is a "work in progress" and is subject to refinement. :)

If you do want to gain ground at the vault the keyword is flexibility.

For now I will list the key projects in the order I find them and will place them in priority order later.

Y'all ready? :)

vaio
08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Cosmology@home.-BOINC

Current Rank 76th......vault points----8820.

Lots of teams have slackened off on this.....a few weeks effort could easily accrue a few hundred vault points.

Pass the Power Cows who are 20 places ahead and you would gain 315 points.

More importantly, your nearest rivals, Team Norway are practically idle there right now.......and gain would help bridge the gap at the vault.

Bonuses:

A good run on this would see you pass:

Crunchers Inc (my team)-61st.
Anandtech-59th.
DPC-56TH.
and ultimately Team Norway who are 37th.

So, you would not only add a few hundred vault points but they would be dropping points too!!!

A top 40 place wouldn't take too long with decent support. :up:

Current Cosmo Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=cos)

vaio
08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Eon:-standalone client

An easy 200 vault points here.
All you need is a quick push and you can cruise past the nits who say nay.

This is an easy project to run with a standalone client.....can run multiple instances without running VM's and all that malarkey.

If you really wanted to you could climb a further place.....after that it would be a case of diminishing returns.

I would advise a big push til you take 6th then move on for a while.

Eon Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=eon)

Addendum: Eon has very small work units and therefore needs an ongoing net connection.

Also, the server can get flaky therefore I advise running it ALONGSIDE a boinc client.....the boinc client can then suck up any idle cycles.

This method works pretty well.

vaio
08-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Muon:-standalone client

I suggest this one needs your attention for 2 reasons.

1: There are 4 practically inactive teams above you, 2 of them are certainly within reach.

Passing them would bag you a good few hundred vault points and more importantly......

2: Team Norway seem to be having a push on this and could take you out....putting you further behind them at the vault.

Dpad/Muon Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=dpad)

If you want to close in on Norway then sooner or later this WILL need your collective attention.

vaio
08-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Community TSC:-standalone java based client.

Norway have blown you away on this one.

BUT.....there are plenty of easy overtakes to be had giving you useful further gains.

A push on this could see you climb 10 places or more.

You are 25th........I would suggest targetting AMD Users who are currently 16th.

This is a standalone java based client IIRC.

TSC Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=tsc)

vaio
08-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Malariacontrol.-Boinc

You are currently ranked 100th.

There is no reason why you couldn't cruise up into the top 50 on this.
It may not give you massive vault gains but you need to consolidate your position.

Team Norway are 30th and they should be your objective.........you're letting them have it way too easy.

Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=mal)

vaio
08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
POEM@home:D-Boinc

Deary me, where to begin.

Another project where you have let Norway steal a march on you.

You've barely reached a million points and they have well over 6 million.

A top 10 place, taking out Norway would take a serious concerted effort (but it's doable) ;)

More realistically, I think you should be looking at climbing from your current 24th place to a more respectable 14th.

That would take you past my lil team (Crunchers Inc) and accrue a few hundred vault points.

It would also give you a platform from which to really put pressure on Norway.

POEM Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=poe)

vaio
08-01-2008, 12:00 PM
That'll do for now.

Maybe a lil feedback before I look into the other projects????

Please remember, how much you gain and how fast you climb is entirely dependent on how much you are willing to put into it as a group.

In order to make serious gains, some of you would have to sacrifice some cpu time from your personal favourite projects.

It takes a concerted group effort to make a real impact, FAST!

For those of you who are stats hounds and don't mind project-hopping following the above could gain you some serious ground. :)

vaio
08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
The above little group of projects, if hit properly could add the best part of 2k to your vault tally, putting you in touch with Norway and leaving the nits who say nay out of sight. :up:

vaio
08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
1st of the month........a good time to start. ;)

Get stuck in now and I would expect 1k+ to be added to your collective vault tally by 1st September.

For the record:

Current dc vault score: 402,155.75.

Lets see what you can do :D

vaio
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Quick bump and a reminder.......

This isn't a "read only" thread :p:
Is your team, your input would be good :up:

Good luck :)

[XC] riptide
08-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I thinking myself. Currently I've defended off Reckencraft in SeventeenorBust. http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=sob&team=517

Thats done for now... I've done plenty of Muon recently... so I might go split on WCG and something else for the next few weeks....

vaio
08-02-2008, 01:49 AM
glennpat could sure use some company at Poem.....and you already have an account there so that'd be straightforward ;)

Marvin_The_Martian
08-02-2008, 03:36 AM
I miss my own pet project :up:

With this being a mostly 3d oriented benching site, the now official released gpu client could cause allot of damage don't you all agree?

Seen the grap recently take steep climb, but would think it could be allot more even :wtf:

vaio
08-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Don't quite understand your post.

You saying Folding is your thing and you'd miss it?......And that the team is falling away a little?

No worries......fold on.

This thread is directed at those who want to close the DC Vault gap on the vikings.:)

Marvin_The_Martian
08-02-2008, 04:12 AM
I thought DC vault is a placeholder for varieus misc projects and your post was a listing on which projects could be picked up because we're close to whatever competion is active there. I just noticed a missing project ( though I know it has a seperate section so maybe shouldn't be mentioned here? If that's your point I apologize!

And the team isn't falling away, have you looked at our graphs lately :party:

But it could always get better :up:

vaio
08-02-2008, 04:21 AM
Hi Marvin,

Yes, any project can be mentioned here as the vault covers them all.

I am working my way through the project list in order they appear at the vault.....just picking out the main ones that need a boost.

There are more yet to add but I am very busy so am doing it a bit at a time.

By all means chip in with your views on where boosts are needed........the more feedback the better.:up:

Marvin_The_Martian
08-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Well I changed my signature so I don't have to keep repeating it, hope that covers it :toast:

I must admit I'm very slacking in the other projects! I installed dimes on two machines but idk if their turning in points ( don't think so ) and I did notice it killed my number of connections I can use with torrents. And I use those quite allot.

vaio
08-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Dimes team is doing just fine anyway........2nd I believe.
So no major gains to be had there :)

It's not a matter of "slacking" at other projects--------we are all entitled to our personal preferences :up:

Marvin_The_Martian
08-02-2008, 04:57 AM
It's still slacking if you're letting a potential resource lay around doing nothing, but true mapping the net isn't as high on my list as some other projects :up: Still 16/1 bandwidth not doing much except the torrents.

That doesn't mean I won't give it a try, is poem less taxing on number of connections then Dimes? I know dimes isn't as bad to start with but my phone runs over the same line and with to many connections at once it get's dropped in favour of internet ( really stupid firmware I guess ).

vaio
08-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Poem is bio/med science a la Folding.
Nothing like Dimes.........regular boinc project.......couple mb a day max on the old net connection :)

Marvin_The_Martian
08-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Ok what was that other mapping project then ( I think there was another one except Dimes? ) Edit: Majectic 12 found it.

[XC] riptide
08-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Dimes team is doing just fine anyway........2nd I believe.
So no major gains to be had there :)

It's not a matter of "slacking" at other projects--------we are all entitled to our personal preferences :up:
Dimes? OK in terms of Vault points its safe. But still we used to be the undisputed chambiions. 2nd is horrible. And of course we are in the long range radar of a Large Ukraninian advance. :(

It's still slacking if you're letting a potential resource lay around doing nothing, but true mapping the net isn't as high on my list as some other projects :up: Still 16/1 bandwidth not doing much except the torrents.

That doesn't mean I won't give it a try, is poem less taxing on number of connections then Dimes? I know dimes isn't as bad to start with but my phone runs over the same line and with to many connections at once it get's dropped in favour of internet ( really stupid firmware I guess ).

Marvin... how did Dimes kill all your torrent connections? WTF? How many dimes did you have running? You do realise that dimes opens up one connection every 15 seconds and sends results back even less, per node?

Marvin_The_Martian
08-02-2008, 05:07 AM
riptide;3185119']Dimes? OK in terms of Vault points its safe. But still we used to be the undisputed chambiions. 2nd is horrible. And of course we are in the long range radar of a Large Ukraninian advance. :(

Marvin... how did Dimes kill all your torrent connections? WTF? How many dimes did you have running? You do realise that dimes opens up one connection every 15 seconds and sends results back even less, per node?

Idk its just that with dimes open on just two computers and my normal torrent load my phone get's disconnected a few times a day. Phone works with udp packets or something, native protocol from my isp, and the firmware is really bad I guess.

The torrents stay pretty normal, it's the phone which get's in trouble don't ask me why. I do have dimes set on udp as tcpip limited bandwith more ( needing to keep connection open, acknowledgements ect ).

I think it's the isp's router/firmware to blame, but I need my phone.

vaio
08-02-2008, 05:13 AM
XS crew should chip in together and buy Marvin a cellphone :D

As for me I am quietly crunching for you over the weekend ;) then I am going home for one last attempt to resurrect my own team.

Gotta teach ninja a lesson and retake 10th at the vault :D

*no doubt I'll return to annoy you all though :p:*

Marvin_The_Martian
08-02-2008, 05:16 AM
I have two don't worry it's just that my cell reception is almost as bad I often need to walk into the garden to have a decent connection. And it's a two year plan, once it's done I'll defo take another provider :mad:

glennpat
08-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Cosmology@home.-BOINC

Current Rank 76th......vault points----8820.

Lots of teams have slackened off on this.....a few weeks effort could easily accrue a few hundred vault points.

Pass the Power Cows who are 20 places ahead and you would gain 315 points.

More importantly, your nearest rivals, Team Norway are practically idle there right now.......and gain would help bridge the gap at the vault.

Bonuses:

A good run on this would see you pass:

Crunchers Inc (my team)-61st.
Anandtech-59th.
DPC-56TH.
and ultimately Team Norway who are 37th.

So, you would not only add a few hundred vault points but they would be dropping points too!!!

A top 40 place wouldn't take too long with decent support. :up:

Current Cosmo Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=cos)

This one looks like a good one to move up on. I was on it for awhile last month. It does really well with 64 bit machines. Credits are fixed per work unit. I'm willing to follow. I will be leaving most of my 32 bit boxes on Wieferich@Home.

vaio
08-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Why follow when you can lead?

Someone has to set the ball rolling ;)

[XC] riptide
08-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Right screw that. I'll try Poem.

Eon uses too much BW for me. 1 gig a day? GTFO!

Cosmology... 32bit is castrated? GTFO!

Muon... done enough of that for a while...

Community TSC.... hmmm ran that and not bad.

Might try that ghastly project Poem. :)

bullet2urbrain
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
riptide;3186086']Right screw that. I'll try Poem.

Eon uses too much BW for me. 1 gig a day? GTFO!

Cosmology... 32bit is castrated? GTFO!

Muon... done enough of that for a while...

Community TSC.... hmmm ran that and not bad.

Might try that ghastly project Poem. :)

Hey what up?

Anyone remember me? ya know the cruncher sans Special Colored name thingy..

What project needs a Q9450???

I prefer NON-BOINC but if i have to, I will.

Currently have 4 instances of SoB running, just to see how it does.. its not that good.. due to low clock speed. (Stock @ 2.67 due to OEM Cooler.. for now)

Let me know where we need help.. and I'll give atleast a week straight of near idle crunching.

Cheers

[XC] riptide
08-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey what up?

Anyone remember me? ya know the cruncher sans Special Colored name thingy..

What project needs a Q9450???

I prefer NON-BOINC but if i have to, I will.

Currently have 4 instances of SoB running, just to see how it does.. its not that good.. due to low clock speed. (Stock @ 2.67 due to OEM Cooler.. for now)

Let me know where we need help.. and I'll give atleast a week straight of near idle crunching.

Cheers

What up dude? Sob eh? What ram speed you pulln'? You'll make that Stock pull like 3Ghz if you Hike your ram speed in SOB.

vaio
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Community TSC and Eon right now for non-boinc applications.:)

bullet2urbrain
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM

Will start Tomorrown night on EON...

Will run for 1 week.. :toast:

Rip: RAM is untweaked, which reminds me i should fix that ;)

KaptainBlaZzed
08-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Will start Tomorrown night on EON...

Will run for 1 week.. :toast:

good luck with that, I tried to run eon last week and gave up. I was getting <2000 WUs per day with +50 clients running.

I am running DPAD right now.

bullet2urbrain
08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
good luck with that, I tried to run eon last week and gave up. I was getting <2000 WUs per day with +50 clients running.

I am running DPAD right now.

Okay well EON = Too much BW on a slow DSL conn.

DPAD, is there any way to run it as a client without the full screen garbage?? i still need to use my computer....

and I dont have BOINC installed, but if those are the only projects that are straightforward and require little to no tinkering then i'll join one of those.

KaptainBlaZzed
08-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Okay well EON = Too much BW on a slow DSL conn.

DPAD, is there any way to run it as a client without the full screen garbage?? i still need to use my computer....

and I dont have BOINC installed, but if those are the only projects that are straightforward and require little to no tinkering then i'll join one of those.

yes, go to your DPAD folder and run client.exe this will run it in a DOS window.
if you run background_client.bat it will run in the background and you will not see it.

bullet2urbrain
08-05-2008, 09:46 PM
yes, go to your DPAD folder and run client.exe this will run it in a DOS window.
if you run background_client.bat it will run in the background and you will not see it.

Okay, well its running, i've made a User.txt file, and its going, now how do i join Team XS?

[XC] riptide
08-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Okay, well its running, i've made a User.txt file, and its going, now how do i join Team XS?

You put [XS] tag infront of your name like mine... '[XS]riptide'.

Also see the DPAD thread in this section..

Paladin
08-11-2008, 07:56 AM

Wieferich@Home (http://www.elmath.org/) is non-BOINC, Windows-only, and we're very close (2.63 days) to passing the fiord (http://www.rodamons.net/imatges/noruegafiord.jpg)ians. They've started putting up a fight, so that time will increase. A pass would mean about 250 for us and the same loss for them in Vault points. So far it's just been Glenn and myself.

Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=wie&team=45)

[XC] riptide
08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Wieferich@Home (http://www.elmath.org/) is non-BOINC, Windows-only, and we're very close (2.63 days) to passing the fiord (http://www.rodamons.net/imatges/noruegafiord.jpg)ians. They've started putting up a fight, so that time will increase. A pass would mean about 250 for us and the same loss for them in Vault points. So far it's just been Glenn and myself.

Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=wie&team=45)

Hmm. You'll be joined by in that case.

[XC] riptide
08-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey! How does this work on quadcores? Seems limited to dual cores for the multi core launcher.

Ah yes. Change Launcher.ini to read core=4 :)

glennpat
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Our team members have doubled on Wieferich today :). Looks like we're gonna have a little fun.

bullet2urbrain
08-11-2008, 06:39 PM
having system instability.. not sure why, working to get stable to help out wiht DC Projects, will join on Wieferich if i can get stable.

computer is just randomly hard locking, not even resetting just hardlocking on the desktop.

trying to straighten this out... any advice would be good.

Q9450
Gigabyte P43-DSEL
2 x 1gB of Team 667 3-3-3-8 @ 2.0v BIOS (D9GMH)
XFX 9800GTX
PCP&C 610W Silencer
1 optical, 2 HDD's

anything to check for, im still gathering info about the BIOS and stuff.. downloading OCCT and wPrime as I type

[XC] riptide
08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Hardlock very often means RAM/NB issue.

[XC] riptide
08-12-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm having issues with getting the stats in my Free-DC statstool sig. I used 469 as the number, according to Free-DC it was my CPID when i clicked on my name in the team listing.

Paladin
08-12-2008, 07:07 AM
riptide;3208565']Hey! How does this work on quadcores?

That info is in the place that shall not be named...

trying to straighten this out... any advice would be good.

I agree with Riptide, likely RAM issue. Raise volts or timings?

riptide;3210979']I'm having issues with getting the stats in my Free-DC statstool sig. I used 469 as the number, according to Free-DC it was my CPID when i clicked on my name in the team listing.

When I look at your name is says 0811194445B1. I think if you convert that back from hex to ascii it would be "Awesome". ;) :up:

[XC] riptide
08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Worked.!! I must add, these points are hard to come. Relatively long tests etc. Not exacltly shooting fish in the barrell lol. But whne the other machines starting calling home we'll see a nice jump. I see the Norway are making a foray.

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 06:50 AM
OK. Whats the comparison like? What CPU's get what? OS? Cos I ain't getting a lot of scores and I have 19 cores on this now. Also its seems to have mixed up my chips entirely in the CPU ID. it either says its a 3420Mhz or a 4005Mhz. SOmetimes this differs across the same machine on 4 instances. lol

glennpat
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
riptide;3219917']OK. Whats the comparison like? What CPU's get what? OS? Cos I ain't getting a lot of scores and I have 19 cores on this now. Also its seems to have mixed up my chips entirely in the CPU ID. it either says its a 3420Mhz or a 4005Mhz. SOmetimes this differs across the same machine on 4 instances. lol

I currently have 20 cores running and getting around 950 points. Should get around 50 points per day per core for a overclocked Q6600. 6 of my cores are AMD and 14 being Intel Core 2. Each core shows up in my CPU list at:
http://www.elmath.org/index.php?id=display_member&id_user=0623223154C4 Your CPU only shows 4 in the list. They have 2 programs to download. Did you use the one called "multicore launcher". The 1st time I started running this I had downloaded the wrong one.

When I run on a quad I will have 4 trafic light type icons down in my running task bar. If I click on it it opens up a window. If I click on it again it closes the window. I was opening the windows via the right click method until for some time before I noticed the short cut method.

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes. And furthermore I DLed the Beta version aswell. It had the same issue with the stable version aswell though. Not all the cores were visible on my page? I htink they might have to reconnect though. I'll give it time.

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 06:29 PM
lol.... http://www.elmath.org/index.php?id=list_units&id_user=0811194445B1&id_item=183415cb105a618a4c24e11e96214f45

It thinks I have a Pentium 3. LOLOLOL

EDIT: Damn.. it changed it decription of the CPU in that link.

KaptainBlaZzed
08-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I am currently very busy at work and have no time to mess with my computers.
I will continue to run DPAD because it requires almost 0 maintenance.

With a little more help we could take down 2 teams in a relatively short period of time.

KB

glennpat
08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I am currently very busy at work and have no time to mess with my computers.
I will continue to run DPAD because it requires almost 0 maintenance.

With a little more help we could take down 2 teams in a relatively short period of time.

KB

I just started up couple of DPADs using Wine on Linux. It looks like it is working, but will see if able to send the results when I have enough built up.

Don't work to hard and nice work on DPAD.

[XC] riptide
08-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Screw Wieferich. It just isn't playing ball... and so few to help.

KaptainBlaZzed
08-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Don't work to hard and nice work on DPAD.

Thanks,

I had < 40 mill when i started this push. I am about to break 60 mill.:D

glennpat
08-17-2008, 03:17 PM
riptide;3224949']Screw Wieferich. It just isn't playing ball... and so few to help.

For some reason I was having a lot of trouble running this when I started it. I think I lost a few of those long work units. We do have a nice lead over The Knights in Wieferich.

On some of my linux boxes I have started running some Malaria Control http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=mal. We're 99th on that project.