PDA

View Full Version : F2-8500cl5d-4gbpi and a Maximus Formula (1201) Imposible @ 1066

Chares
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi GS. Tech. ill pass on forward my little problem:

Note: sorry if my spelling is not entirely OK, im writing @ my Job time, so im doing it like and old programmer on a TI994A :p:.

(Hardware specs are below)

As I posted a thread in the XS OC Q&A section about some crucial memories i have, which dont boot up in the Maximus formula i too have, i decided to change them to the f2-8500cl5d-4gbpi model of g.skill memory, but my problem is the following:

Note: As Default, they work just fine, but I get a read about 6000 Mb/s and a 80 Nanosecond response as everest 4.50 Tells ( I post a screen if needed).

if i set the memories according to the EPP, 1066 Mhz, 5-5-5-15, trc 47, twr 13, 2.1v (maximus @ 2.0, as it overvolts 0.10 ussualy), system wont start, it beeps 2 times, and gets stuck after checkin nvram (seen in poster), and holds position in "VGA BIOS" check, showing the american megatrends logo only and the bios version below, and doing nothing whatsoever.

if i set them according to the EPP, AND overclock the processor as a QX6850 in the automatic OC, or mannually at fsb 333, voltage 1.3 to 1.4v, the system starts, but, it doenst load the operating system saying that there was an error loading the kernel.

Note: just to add, while trying a week to get the crucials working, some times the system as it turned on told me bad bios checksum, and some others not, so just in precaution i flashed again with the 1201 BIOS. Even booting with a common kingston was good, but the crucials just pulled my leg when trying them as stock NB voltage

The "Rig" is as follows:

Note: (Im denoting things as mouse and keyboard, just if theres a compatibility issue)

-Q6600 (B3 revision)
-Maximus Formula (1201 BIOS)
-F2-8500cl5d-4gbpi (2x2Gb G.Skill 1066 PI Version) (With dominator fan)
-Asus EN8800GT 512Mb / Artic Cooling Accelero S1 rev2 w/turbo module
-X-Fi Elite Gamer Fatality Pro
-Logitech G5 Mouse and G15 Gaming Keyboard
-4x Western Digital WD1600JS SATAII, @ RAID 10
-DVDRW Pioneer DVR-212D
-Sattellite SL-8600EPS 600W

Case in unninportant (and ugly :p:).

So, the question is, is the motherboard faulty, and it actually killed my old crucial lanfest's, and its about to kill the new G.Skill's, or is there some compatibility or voltage issue with it, or the PSU is degrading (voltages are OK in the measuring equipment including osciloscope, but who knows)?

Or im missing some setting that i should have in mind with the maximus?

also i would like to ask if 4 modules (2 kits of f2-8500cl5d-4gbpi) would work in here, as i ran a lot of virtual machines for work.

Thanks in advance

cheers

Zucker2k
08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi GS. Tech. ill pass on forward my little problem:

Note: sorry if my spelling is not entirely OK, im writing @ my Job time, so im doing it like and old programmer on a TI994A :p:.

(Hardware specs are below)

As I posted a thread in the XS OC Q&A section about some crucial memories i have, which dont boot up in the Maximus formula i too have, i decided to change them to the f2-8500cl5d-4gbpi model of g.skill memory, but my problem is the following:

Note: As Default, they work just fine, but I get a read about 6000 Mb/s and a 80 Nanosecond response as everest 4.50 Tells ( I post a screen if needed).

if i set the memories according to the EPP, 1066 Mhz, 5-5-5-15, trc 47, twr 13, 2.1v (maximus @ 2.0, as it overvolts 0.10 ussualy), system wont start, it beeps 2 times, and gets stuck after checkin nvram (seen in poster), and holds position in "VGA BIOS" check, showing the american megatrends logo only and the bios version below, and doing nothing whatsoever.

if i set them according to the EPP, AND overclock the processor as a QX6850 in the automatic OC, or mannually at fsb 333, voltage 1.3 to 1.4v, the system starts, but, it doenst load the operating system saying that there was an error loading the kernel.

Note: just to add, while trying a week to get the crucials working, some times the system as it turned on told me bad bios checksum, and some others not, so just in precaution i flashed again with the 1201 BIOS. Even booting with a common kingston was good, but the crucials just pulled my leg when trying them as stock NB voltage

The "Rig" is as follows:

Note: (Im denoting things as mouse and keyboard, just if theres a compatibility issue)

-Q6600 (B3 revision)
-Maximus Formula (1201 BIOS)
-F2-8500cl5d-4gbpi (2x2Gb G.Skill 1066 PI Version) (With dominator fan)
-Asus EN8800GT 512Mb / Artic Cooling Accelero S1 rev2 w/turbo module
-X-Fi Elite Gamer Fatality Pro
-Logitech G5 Mouse and G15 Gaming Keyboard
-4x Western Digital WD1600JS SATAII, @ RAID 10
-DVDRW Pioneer DVR-212D
-Sattellite SL-8600EPS 600W

Case in unninportant (and ugly :p:).

So, the question is, is the motherboard faulty, and it actually killed my old crucial lanfest's, and its about to kill the new G.Skill's, or is there some compatibility or voltage issue with it, or the PSU is degrading (voltages are OK in the measuring equipment including osciloscope, but who knows)?

Or im missing some setting that i should have in mind with the maximus?

also i would like to ask if 4 modules (2 kits of f2-8500cl5d-4gbpi) would work in here, as i ran a lot of virtual machines for work.

Thanks in advance

cheers

Adjust North Bridge Volts, and Performance Levels (TRD) accordingly and you should be good to go. It'll be best if you post your bios settings.

Chares
08-05-2008, 06:20 AM
finally managed to boot up afetr changing more things than the NB voltage, but after the fifth or sixth test on prime 95 x64, the system becomes unstable.

now is working at 1066 Mhz @ 5-5-5-15-55-13 @ 2.08v (2.14v everest/HW monitor)

worked OK for 3 days.

and now something weird is happening, the entire disk array (RAID10) shutdowns unexpectedly and a BSOD of iastor.sys appears, it never happened to me this before, and unless i shutdown completely the system, the disks wont turn on again, im begining to suspect the motherboard is dying or the PSU is corrupted even if the analog and digital testers read OK the voltages.