PDA

View Full Version : How do you know?

Quatrix
07-31-2008, 04:49 AM
The radiator testing results from Martins website show how many watts of heat is dissipated, depending on fan rpm.

What I want to know is how do you know / calculate how many watts of heat an overclocked CPU or GPU or any component will produce? :shrug:

Knowing this means I can choose the right radiator for the job.

Thanks

Eddie3dfx
07-31-2008, 04:52 AM
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Bojamijams
07-31-2008, 05:35 AM
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Erm.. that'll show you how much total wattage you will need to power your entire system. Nothing to do with what he's asking.

Eddie3dfx
07-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Erm.. that'll show you how much total wattage you will need to power your entire system. Nothing to do with what he's asking.

No, it also shows how much wattage your cpu will give out. You should really look at the page before you write anything.
Unless you are volt modding, you can pretty much figure out how much your gpu is going to give out by reading posts or looking at reviews.

For example, if I show my x3210 (2.13 @ 1.25) = 105 watts
Now, given my overclock (3600mhz @ 1.53) = 265 watts.

leo_bsb
07-31-2008, 05:39 AM
Marci advise on using the psu calculator.

Add just the watercooled components and subtract the initial wattage if you are not watercooling the NB.

Bojamijams
07-31-2008, 05:59 AM
No, it also shows how much wattage your cpu will give out. You should really look at the page before you write anything.
Unless you are volt modding, you can pretty much figure out how much your gpu is going to give out by reading posts or looking at reviews.

For example, if I show my x3210 (2.13 @ 1.25) = 105 watts
Now, given my overclock (3600mhz @ 1.53) = 265 watts.

I did read it. perhaps you haven't?

...calculate how many watts of heat an overclocked CPU or GPU or any component will produce?

That site will not tell you any kind of GPU info and especially not overclocked GPU. Nor will it tell you anything about any component such as the NB, SB, Mosfet, etc.

leo_bsb
07-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Also I forgot, you need to adjust the load to 100%.
I left the TDP at 85%. This a good estimate on max heatload when gaming or benching. Most of the time the heatload will be less.

leo_bsb
07-31-2008, 06:07 AM
For the NB and SB just change the mobo to a high end, you will have the wattage and you can use as an estimate for heatload.
The CPU can be estimated too when overclocked.
The Video card can not be estimates when overclocked but you you can add the percentage of your overclock to the heatload. Remember that you will not but all VGA heatload under water, even more if you use a core only block.
Just set it for 100% load and you will have a pretty good estimate to choose the best suitable rad and fans.

orclev
07-31-2008, 07:58 AM
The short version:
That page will allow you to generate a fairly reasonable estimate of your systems heatload in watts. Nothing available will give you an exact figure outside of some specialized lab equipment (and even then it's going to vary under load). The rule of thumb I heard when using that page (it's in one of the posts on here somewhere) is to select high end motherboard, put all your CPU details in including overclock, set load to 100%, and then add in your graphics cards. Once that's done, toss another ~100W on to the number it gives you if you're watercooling your mobo chipsets to be on the safe side. That will give you an estimate that's probably on the high side by a good margin, so your actual heat load should be somewhat less than that number. If the graphics card(s) is/are overclocked, as a number of people have commented, calculate just the heatload of the base graphics card, and multiply that by the overclock, then add that number to the heatload calculated for all the rest of the components.

Is it 100% accurate? No. Will it get you a number +/- 100W of the actual? Most likely. At the bare minimum it's an effective way to calculate the heat load of your CPU, and a reasonable ballpark for your non-OCd GPU.

leo_bsb
07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
the "add 100W" part is to compensate the overclocked video card.
I agree is a good estimate and can be used to choose your rads.
:up:

Quatrix
07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Thank you all for your input.

I've had a look on that site and while it seems confusing it looks as though I can work with it.

For overclocking section though, I don't have the motherboard or cpu yet to test what vcore I'll need and how many Mhz it will be at.

Though for a rough estimate it's good. Also do I take the recommended wattage at start then take that away after I added the CPU info?

I can't remember where but i read that it is possible to calculate heat load for the CPU buy doing this calculation.

0.025*(vcore^2)*Hz, so for an e8400 vcore of 1.45 at 4.2Ghz would produce 0.025*(1.45^2)*4200= about 220w?

Thanks