PDA

View Full Version : Modifying the Swiftech Apogee Drive baseplate

Cornelious0_0
07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I know I've been starting a few Q&A threads lately, but I've got a very active mind at the moment and I wanted to try and keep discussions focused if possible.

What I'm trying to figure out now, is if there is a way to modify or re-create the baseplate that the Apogee Drive uses to mount to the motherboard to fit a non-standard or unsupported motherboard.

The specific scenario is that I want to internally watercool the CPU in my Shuttle SP35P2 and the easiest way to do this would be with the Apogee Drive. The biggest issue with the setup is that the mounting holes for the stock HSF in the Shuttle mobo are farther apart then a normal LGA775 mount.

The baseplate the Swiftech designed for the Apogee Drive is completely removable and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to the best/easiest way to replace or recreate the baseplate to fit my required measurements.

If it were as simple as a mounting plate ontop of the block this would be nice and simple...but I'm not that lucky. If this proves to be overly difficult I may look into a way to mount a small pump seperately and just go with a block that DOES use a flat mounting plate, as it would be much easier to cut one of those with differently placed holes.

Chime in everyone...let me know what you think as I keep measuring things out.

Utnorris
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
You may be able to use a standard Apogee GT plate squeezed between the pump and base plate. The holes on the Apogee drive would line up with the plate, you would have to seal it and knock off the Apogee drive mounts.

Utnorris

Cornelious0_0
07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
You may be able to use a standard Apogee GT plate squeezed between the pump and base plate. The holes on the Apogee drive would line up with the plate, you would have to seal it and knock off the Apogee drive mounts.

Utnorris

Good call, or for that matter if I had to I could fabricate my own mounting plate and sandwich it between the pump and base of the Apogee Drive.

I'm exploring a couple different options for this possible project at the moment, but knowing that this is still a possibility definitely leaves options open...thanks. :)