PDA

View Full Version : SATA DVD with RAID mode enabled on BlackOps?

ether.real
07-29-2008, 09:12 PM
I just got my BlackOps and getting ready to install windows. One little problem though. With the SATA controller set to RAID mode (for my Raptor X's), I cant get the system to pick up my SATA DVD drive in order to install windows. On my old DFI board, there were two SATA controllers, and I just used one of the controllers in native IDE mode. Can't do that here, since I need the RAID and there is only one SATA controller. What are my options here?

Omastar
07-29-2008, 09:19 PM
You could pick up a cheap 2 port PCI SATA card for the DVD burner, I suppose.

ether.real
07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
That doesnt do me a whole lot of good at midnight. Nor would I consider that an ideal solution on a $360 motherboard....

zanzabar
07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
do u have a flash drive, or a usb drive that u could copy the windows disk to

gmcg
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
I just got my BlackOps and getting ready to install windows. One little problem though. With the SATA controller set to RAID mode (for my Raptor X's), I cant get the system to pick up my SATA DVD drive in order to install windows. On my old DFI board, there were two SATA controllers, and I just used one of the controllers in native IDE mode. Can't do that here, since I need the RAID and there is only one SATA controller. What are my options here?
Hmm I had no problem with Samsung 203N SATA DVD ...

ether.real
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Well, I dug up an old IDE DVD drive to install Windows. Lucky I had one laying around. The drive picks up fine in Windows, but wont pick up in BIOS to boot off of.

gmcg: did you install with RAID mode enabled in BIOS?

Knight
07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
If you are not running RAID, then you set "SATA CD-Rom" as the boot drive. Intel's RAID is different. If you are running RAID, then you have to select the DVD drives name instead of SATA CD-Rom. Look for the maker of your drive or any numbers that might belong to the drive's serial number in the boot order menu. Hope that helps. Or did I not understand your situation?

ether.real
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
If you are not running RAID, then you set "SATA CD-Rom" as the boot drive. Intel's RAID is different. If you are running RAID, then you have to select the DVD drives name instead of SATA CD-Rom. Look for the maker of your drive or any numbers that might belong to the drive's serial number in the boot order menu. Hope that helps. Or did I not understand your situation?

You are exactly right. When I saw your post I rebooted and looked in BIOS, sure enough, the drive showed up at the bottom of the selectable boot items list, and the system booted off of it. I guess I got thrown off because the drive does not show up in the first BIOS screen.

Thanks!

Mr.Guvernment
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
i had this issue with my ich9r on my dfi x38, i had to:

1. use and IDE dvd drive
2. use my SATA on a PCI SATA port card

he raid would NOT work (no crl+i) worth the SATA attached to the SATA portd.

Mr.Guvernment
07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
i had this issue with my ich9r on my dfi x38, i had to:

1. use and IDE dvd drive
2. use my SATA on a PCI SATA port card

he raid would NOT work (no crl+i) worth the SATA attached to the SATA portd.

Knight
07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
You are exactly right. When I saw your post I rebooted and looked in BIOS, sure enough, the drive showed up at the bottom of the selectable boot items list, and the system booted off of it. I guess I got thrown off because the drive does not show up in the first BIOS screen.

Thanks!

No problem. This community is great at giving good advice. (sometimes) :rofl:

Mr.Guvernment
08-03-2008, 05:22 PM
haha...lol sometimes is the key :) and i am sure mine feel into the "not so great" :) but it was my issue.

saaya
08-11-2008, 05:03 PM
hey dude,

sorry for not replying sooner, been very busy :D
could you tell me the exact model number of the drive your using and the detailled bios settings in case you adjusted anything?
or could you fix the problem somehow?

ether.real
08-11-2008, 05:06 PM
The problem is fixed. All I had to do was instead of select "CD-ROM" from the boot menu, I had to keep scrolling down in order to see the actual drive as an option to boot from.

In other words, I am either blind or a dummy :P

saaya
08-11-2008, 11:33 PM
well, it wasnt obvious enough, i might have missed it myself... so ill check if we can make it more obvious and clear.
like the usb thing, many people select usb when they want to boot from a usb stick, but any usb sticks actually show up in the hdd menu, since they emulate a hdd...
that also caused some confusion... no matter how many people we tell about this thing, we wont reach everybody right? so instead lets try to change the bios in a way everybody gets it right away :)

ether.real
08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
At least now the solution is google-able. What I would rather see in a BIOS is the ability to rename the BIOS profiles and maybe even add a description, like the DFI's do....

saaya
08-11-2008, 11:47 PM
At least now the solution is google-able. What I would rather see in a BIOS is the ability to rename the BIOS profiles and maybe even add a description, like the DFI's do....

we cant, DFI made a patent for that so now nobody else can do it... unless we hand over some cash... not even sure if cash will get us an ok from dfi actually... i think its not possible unfortunately...

do you think this is ok?
all future BIOS releases should have the profiles named like this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195742

ether.real
08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Well that sucks. How about this for an idea....what if the profile could automatically rename itself based on CPU speed, RAM speed and FSB? Then you could patent that and send me a few bucks :P

saaya
08-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Well that sucks. How about this for an idea....what if the profile could automatically rename itself based on CPU speed, RAM speed and FSB? Then you could patent that and send me a few bucks :Phehehe, we had that idea already :D
its not easy to do... at all :/

ether.real
08-12-2008, 12:15 AM
hehehe, we had that idea already :D
its not easy to do... at all :/

Hey, it was worth a shot....

saaya
08-12-2008, 12:17 AM
yeah, and its a good idea! thanks a lot for sharing it and not running to your nearest patent office ^^
and you never know, maybe we will manage to get it done, and if we do, just lmk and ill have a free board sent to you :D

ether.real
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
yeah, and its a good idea! thanks a lot for sharing it and not running to your nearest patent office ^^
and you never know, maybe we will manage to get it done, and if we do, just lmk and ill have a free board sent to you :D

I will welcome that day :)