PDA

View Full Version : SSD's in raid0 slower to boot

james bennett
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I just got my second Mtron today and I created a striped volume and installed my O.S. on it.
The thing is I have noticed that my boot time has increased a little bit.

Shouldn't it decrease? I mean immediately after the install (where the system reboots) it took off after a second or so.

Now it is starting slower than when I had the O.S. on just one drive.

Anyone have any ideas?
thanks,
jim

Buckeye
07-29-2008, 04:50 PM
If your setup is the same thing as your sig I am willing to bet its your motherboard. SSD Raids do not work well with Intel motherboards.

I believe its a problem with the ICH9

Nvidia motherboards seem to work just fine.

james bennett
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
It is my set-up. My chipset is ICH7R though. The benchmarks are telling me that I have double the transfer rate than what I had before. Thats why I'm stumped, its taking twice as long to boot up now....Wierd.

Buckeye
07-29-2008, 06:56 PM
You know I am not real sure on reasons why, but I believe it has to do with small file reads.

You can have massive bandwidth for moving large files, but small files are slower. This is pretty typical for SSD's tho.

james bennett
07-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I set the raid array to work with 128kb sectors. I wonder if I had set it up to handle small chuncks if it would boot faster.

Buckeye
07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
64kb is what I run mine at.

Kondik
07-30-2008, 01:07 AM
For SSD Raid 0 i'd presume 64 kB or 128 kB strip I presume, But the power of SSD is that they're noiseless and have tiny seek times, You can't have everything , speed, reliability, access times, it's just an SSD :D

james bennett
07-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Thats what I was saying it USED to boot in about 3 seconds. With the higher throughput and two drives reading simultaniously shouldn't it boot faster?

james bennett
07-30-2008, 09:33 AM
I changed the stripe size to 64kb sectors (clusters) and installed my apps and pagefile on my raptor. There is an improvement but, it still is a little slower than when I was using one Mtron. (about 4 second boot time)

bowman
07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
The ICH9s have been demonstrated by multiple review sites to be an SSD bottleneck, I wouldn't expect the ICH7 to be any better..

Going by results others are getting it seems getting a dedicated RAID add-in board might be the best solution.

james bennett
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Ya thats next on my shopping list. That way almost any Mobo I go with in the future will not cause a slow-down of my storage set-up. I was lusting after Buckeyes raid card. I am building a monster storage system so when I do get a better Mobo I can transfer the raid card and SSD's over to the new one.

XS Janus
07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
We need onboard hardware Raid controllers for the new SSD age!
:D
Who will be the first to do the unthinkable!

james bennett
07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Noone really needs five hundred horsepower in thier everyday driver but, almost everyone wants it...:)

Kobalt
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Where do you guys get the Mtron drives? I don't see them at newegg at all.

Lestat
07-30-2008, 05:57 PM
i cant believe that mobo is using ICH7... thats horrible...
i cant believe that mobo even runs the Q6600 properly.
i bet you'd run it better on a new baord and even run lower voltages.

james bennett
07-31-2008, 03:27 AM
Where do you guys get the Mtron drives? I don't see them at newegg at all.

You can get them at the Neostore.com they start at $245 for the MSD6000 16gb 3.5"

james bennett
07-31-2008, 03:36 AM
i cant believe that mobo is using ICH7... thats horrible...
i cant believe that mobo even runs the Q6600 properly.
i bet you'd run it better on a new baord and even run lower voltages.

I do plan on getting a different board eventually. The good thing is that I can take this storage set-up use it on any system. The Mobo works fine, according to the benchmarks the drives are performing just as two drives in a raid0 set-up should.
The only issue is the boot time. Some reason it is slightly slower than before
thats what is causing me to be perplexed.

m^2
07-31-2008, 05:14 AM
We need onboard hardware Raid controllers for the new SSD age!
Who will be the first to do the unthinkable!

You'd rather ask who was the first.
On professional boards you can get them since forever.

XS Janus
07-31-2008, 05:43 AM
You'd rather ask who was the first.
On professional boards you can get them since forever.

Yes, I know.:)
That's why I wonder if why not for regular enthusiast boards.
It's not like it hasn't been done before.:)