PDA

View Full Version : Memory stress testing

BababooeyHTJ
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Can I just use a prime95 blend test to test my ram stability? I am trying to tighten up my timings.

mikeyakame
07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes but there are probably better alternatives. Memtest86+ and selectively run tests 5/6/7, 5 is memmove test and usually shows problems with timings.
My standard practice is, change timings in bios then run Memtest86+ and when I know it passes at least those 3 tests then I'll boot up and run Microsoft Memory Diagnostic. If this passes all standard tests, then I'll boot into windows run Prime95 with Large FFT and Linpack64 each for 5-10mins. If Prime95 runs for 10mins successfully, last but not least I'll let it run and do a DVD image burn with verify while it's priming. if the verify passes 100% then memory timings are pretty decent.

Memset + Everest cache benchmark are good to make small timing changes and see whether they are better or worse. Write/Activate timings tend to affect L2 cache speeds more, where as Precharge affect RAM/L1, Read affects RAM mostly, and refresh will smooth all of them out. Also just pay close attention to small things, ie bios boot times, speed that windows boots up and loads applications, copy times, etc. These minor details if you can differentiate between good and bad will help you spot out memory timing problems way before testing will pick them up. Thats in my experience, it's kinda like being one with your environment.

Link for bootable iso/floppy creator for MS Windows Mem Diag.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe

BababooeyHTJ
07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was running ocz reaper 1066 @ 850 for a1:1 ratio with the fsb. I set my timings at 4-4-4-12-2t which ran smooth. I just set my timings to 4-4-4-12-1t and it ran a prime blend for 2 and a half hours with no problems and I am running memtest86+ now. No errors so far. When I switched my timings to 1t I got much better latency in everest but now that you mention it windows and some apps were loading a little slow. I am going to keep it at 4-4-4-12-2t. Should I try to run my ram at 2.2v it is made to run at 2.1 and I do have a fan blowing very close to the ram.