PDA

View Full Version : What Colours should I use?

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Going to be creating a double loop system soon. Project name Twilight.

TJ07 Interior exterior all black, with small white leds scattered around the place, Though if this looks :down: I'll be ripping em out ;).

The window is either going to be clear or a tinted window, so you can't see into it unless the white leds are on :cool:.

My question is what colours do you think the two loops should be?

I'm posing this question as I've never seen the dyes in real life so have no clue what would compliment my idea. :shrug:

I'm thinking
1.) Both Black
2.) Both Blue
3.) Both Red
4.) Black / Blue
5.) Black / Red
6.) Blue / Red

Any other opinions?

Thanks

whatever
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Post some pictures of your mobo, graphics card, ram. Then we will choose the color.

Big_Daddy
07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Just an FYI, most of the people around here have stopped using Dye's all together. Just straight distilled water, with a biocide. (like PT Nuke)

If you want the bling factor. Use UV tubes. Same affect, no cleaning the dye puke off your blocks.

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
@whatever

Great advice but this is going to be a totally new build, so I haven't got the parts in.

Motherboard I'm thinking of using is GA-X48-DS4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336)

Graphics card HD 4870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103061)

Ram OCZ Reaper (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267)

all subject to change, and would always take recommendations. Could I change the colour of these items?

@Big_Daddy

Thanks for the information however as you can tell by my spelling of colour, I live in the UK where items are limited. I'm planning on using 7/16ID 5/8OD tubing.
I havent seen coloured tubing of this size.

Big_Daddy
07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
It's coming... XSPC (http://www.xspc.biz/tubing2.php)

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Looks good :up:

Thanks, though colour question still stands I guess :)

Shame that Distilled water is a rarity here. Its only a little bit cheaper then feser one coolant at the moment, that's without the water additives :mad:

I can always switch to the uv tubing when it becomes more available :)

whatever
07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Too many colors for my tastes. I have an obsessive disorder regarding colors and alignment.
With those OCZ Reaper i would suggest DFI X48, but the 4870 is red.. You could wait for the 4870x2 :D

zipdogso
07-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Shame that Distilled water is a rarity here.

Where are you looking for it? try garages and car parts shops -not halfords !!

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry what DFI X48 is that?

also with the dark tinted window I figured it would be too hard to make out the colouring on the components?

Yea the 4870x2 is a great tease :)

whatever
07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Well, not all dark.

You could easily "break" the blackness with some bright, exotic color, like, yellow, orange, even red.

LE:

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Picture/LT%20X48_T2R_front(b).jpg

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
@zipdogso

I've tried chemists, supermarkets and some car part shops.

The only place I've found it is special order with a local pharmacy you have to order it in as he claims "Distilled water has an incredibly short shelf life."

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
@whatever

Nice motherboard got a link so I can look at the specs?
Edit: Never mind I found it thanks :)

Would you recommend both loops the same colour then?

lowfat
07-28-2008, 02:30 PM
@zipdogso

I've tried chemists, supermarkets and some car part shops.

The only place I've found it is special order with a local pharmacy you have to order it in as he claims "Distilled water has an incredibly short shelf life."

Why not use reverse osmosis water? It isn't any less 'pure' than distilled.

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
That is not something I've heard of, so maybe even more rare then distilled water here :confused:

Ghost326267
07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
That is not something I've heard of, so maybe even more rare then distilled water here :confused:

I'm UK mate and I had the same trouble getting 'distilled' water. Try looking for deionised water I bet you find it everywhere :up: its practically the same.

Oh on the colour if you are going for the real dark black stuff try looking at that black tygon stuff.

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Ghost,

Though now I've found a place that will order in distilled water I can just use that. I also thought deionised water would attack copper waterblocks to get its ions back?

I know there are corrosion inhibiters but i believe they only relate to galvanic corrosion and not sure if it would prevent this type of corrosion as well?

lowfat
07-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Can you guys in the UK not go to a grocery store and buy a bottle of Culligan? Or why not just buy a 2L of Dasani drinking water. They use reverse osmosis as well.

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
@lowfat

never seen those brands in the stores

Okay This thread more seems a discussion on types of water rather then colour as I'd like.

So in an attempt to talk about colour, anyone else know of a black motherboard with good overclocking potential? would prefer an x38 or x48 chipset.

Thanks

Quatrix
07-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Okay after researching it seems that whatever has recommended a great motherboard and I'll be going with that thanks whatever :)

Ram will still be the black ocz reaper. and I'll wait for the black 4870x2.

Now will you guys recommend me some colour :p:

twwen2
07-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Colour is a purely personal decision, everyone will have different tastes. Blue is popular, as is black. It's up to you mate.

However i'll echo the sentiments of others here in that it's generally not reccommended to use UV coolants, they will eventually break down and sometimes cause clogging in the waterblocks. But if ur willing to take the risk, then good luck! :up:

MrMojoZ
07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Black tubing. In every project ever.

disruptfam
07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
black on black sounds good

ShadeOfGrey
07-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I say both red

Quatrix
07-29-2008, 02:45 AM
@twwen2

Yea colour is a personal taste, and I'll eventually get round to trying each colour just after views so I won't make my first loop and think it looks hideous lol
Good thing about dyes is that I can easily change the colour if I get bored, Though once I find the killer colours for me I'll def be going for some tubing :)

Does anyone use any sort of antifreeze to help keep temperatures down?

@MrMojoz & Disruptfam & Shade

Thanks for your input

RLM
07-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Maybe there's some decent Red out there and it's just my mistake, but warning from mine and other's experience when Red is put into your loop it becomes Pretty Barbie Pink.lol. It also stains pretty much permanently.

RLM

twwen2
07-29-2008, 04:54 AM
Does anyone use any sort of antifreeze to help keep temperatures down?

I don't think antifreeze will do anything to help your temps, it doesn't work like that. If anything it'll probably make things worse.

Quatrix
07-29-2008, 04:55 AM
@RLM
Is this under UV? As I don't plan on having a uv light. The new feser one appears to look great under white light.

@twenn2

Okay thanks, just wondered if anyone was using :P

RLM
07-29-2008, 05:03 AM
@RLM
Is this under UV? As I don't plan on having a uv light. The new feser one appears to look great under white light.

I guess the best thing would be to test it first. stick it diluted into a bit of tubing, before sticking it in your loop and through your rads etc.

RLM

Quatrix
07-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Good idea, I'll try that with whatever I decide on thanks

whatever
08-02-2008, 01:37 AM
News mate ?