PDA

View Full Version : what do you use on your motherboard standoffs?

SeanB
07-26-2008, 12:01 AM
eh, odd question, but whats the best thing i use on my standsoffs and screws through my motherboard? right now the screws have little paperlike washers, but is there anything better?? or what do other people use?

ExodusC
07-26-2008, 12:15 AM
You mean the risers?

I simply put the risers in and screw in the screws; no washer or anything of the sort. Never had any problems arise because of it.

Polizei
07-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Same... I've never used any washers before. The metal on the motherboard that surrounds the screw holes are grounded to your motherboard just like the standoffs/case are grounded with your power supply.

xytrius
07-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Me too, brass standoffs with no washers all the way. Apart from the grounding that they provide (as Polizei pointed out), they provide for sturdier mounting. I tend to favor large heavy aircooling, so I do not use plastic "snap-in" standoffs.

Scubar
07-26-2008, 07:02 AM
You dont need to use the paper washers.

SeanB
07-26-2008, 09:58 AM
really? hmm, i do see the metal around each screwhole..
alright thanks, i just always thought there was some caution there.

RADCOM
07-26-2008, 10:04 AM
you wonder why they still put them in the package.......101 things to do with brown paper washers?

WhiteFireDragon
07-26-2008, 10:08 AM
how does an acrylic case ground? the standoffs are not touching anything metal on the case

twilyth
07-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I always thought that the little solder spots around the mounting holes were connected to a ground trace on the m/b. If that's true, wouldn't using washers compromise that? But even if there is not ground connection at the mounting holes, I can't see why they even bother giving you washers. The only thing that might make sense if you got a short going through the case. Then washers might give you some insulation, but I would suspect that you'd be screwed regardless unless it was very low voltage.

how does an acrylic case ground? the standoffs are not touching anything metal on the case

I would guess through the ground plug on the power supply and ground wires on PSU/m-b connector.