PDA

View Full Version : I have a multimeter at last!

st0nedpenguin
09-24-2003, 04:42 AM
But now I need assistance on how to use the bloody thing. :D

Right, I think I have the basics pinned down, setting it up and stuff, pretty simple, it was an el-cheapo £5 model.

I reckon it's working OK as I had a shot at checking the voltages from the PSU molex, and with a bit of tinkering it is giving me sensible readings for the +/- 5/12 voltages, just by prodding it into different pins on the molex.

The thing I didn't attempt though was getting a reading for the CPU/NB/RAM voltages, I was a wee bit worried about frying something by prodding at it like a loon with the multimeter.

So, to get on topic, could anyone point me in the right direction for measuring the CPU/NB/RAM/ voltages on the NF7-S Rev 2.0?

And also, could someone let me know what components I need to carry out a full compliment of mods on the board, I feel another trip to Maplins coming on. :D

Teus
09-24-2003, 04:53 AM
check the voltmods, they usually tell where you can measure the voltage. watch out you don't slip out or shortcircuit any stuff!

st0nedpenguin
09-24-2003, 06:34 AM
Yeah, that's what I was worried about, prodding a molex I can handle, but prodding at my motherboard, perhaps not. :D

kromosto
09-24-2003, 06:39 AM
last night while doing my vdimm mod i nearly did every faults like dropping a huge amount of hot solderin iron at the middle of mono and lots of other thing lol :D but nothing happend mobos are stronger than i tougth

st0nedpenguin
09-24-2003, 07:33 AM
eeep!

That story isn't not helping d00d, it's increasing the fear. :D

Sorry for this post, somehow in months of visiting this forum, I never actually noticed the specific mod section, DOH!

st0nedpenguin
09-24-2003, 07:37 AM
What the buggery did I do with this post???

:D

Zeus
09-24-2003, 07:43 AM
This is where you measure your Vdimm.
Put the black probe to ground.
Sorry Xigfrid, for stealing your pic. ;)

Zeus
09-24-2003, 07:54 AM
This is where you measure Vdd.
Again, with the black probe to ground.

For Vmods, have a look at this site:

http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?15.255

To be on the safe side, put a piece thin tube (wire insulation) over the pin of the red probe leaving the very tip bare, this way you won't short anything easy.

GL ;)

st0nedpenguin
09-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Thanks matey, just what I was looking for. :D

Just to clarify, vdd is the NB voltage and vdimm is the RAM? How about checking the CPU voltage?

Sorry for the retardedness, as you may have guessed, electronics were never my thing. :D

texuspete00
09-24-2003, 09:02 AM
I have a 1.2 and in the vmod tutorials they use two spots... one right off a mosfet, the other is a solder spot. My board still works but it did temporarily zap the board when I tried the mosfet. Use the other spot, its big, nothing nearby. It's towards the end off the AGP slot. It's the one to the right here(vdd mod guide) :):

http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?13.255

Tingle
09-24-2003, 11:00 AM
to save shorting out anything bad put the ground into a molex connector, then cover the positive contact in electrical tape all bar the very end, that way if you slip it hits the tape rather than the metal to short things

tingle

st0nedpenguin
09-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Righty, I finish work in ten minutes, so it's off to prod stuff!

I just had my team leader at work sneaking over to the printer to collect the printouts for me, as we're not allowed to use them for "personal" printing, it was like a commando raid, I'm trying to persuade her to camo up now and go kill somebody with a stapler, no luck so far.

:D

IFMU
09-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Multi posting, threads merged.