PDA

View Full Version : AIM Alternatives

carmike692000
07-23-2008, 08:32 AM
I've finally decided I need to try out something new as for a 3rd party AIM client. I've been using GAIM (now Pidgin) for quite some time, but I'm tired of putting up with its glitches and having to open another screen name through AIM every time I need to do a file transfer.

I've used AIM a few times, and I really have no issues with its layout or the way it works. It would suit me just fine...EXCEPT! Except for the fact that I use about three different screen names regularly, and I HATE the way AIM sections off the buddy list for each screen name separately. The way Pidgin lumps your buddies from every screen name into one buddy list, just separated by your dictated groups, is FAR superior, at least for me.

So, is there another alternative here that's a bit more solid and capable like AIM and handles your buddy list like Pidgin does?

Thanks!

WoZZeR999
07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Try trillian, I used it for a while and really liked it. I'm using pidgin now though.

carmike692000
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the input.

I installed the newer version of Pidgin, but it had the same problems. So then I tried out trillian. And it's awesome! Thanks a million!

carmike692000
07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Ok, so I'm LOVING Trillian so far. However, there is one MAJOR drawback I'm dealing with right now. So far, whenever I start a new IM, it opens that dialog in a NEW box. I don't want that. I want it to be a new TAB in my EXISTING box. If I'm talking to someone through AIM and someone else on AIM IM's me, it's a new tab in that box. Awesome. If I initiate a new IM with someone on AIM, it's a new box. Not good. If I initiate a new IM with someone on MSN or Yahoo!, it's a new box. Not good.

I did figure out (somehow) to put them all in one box after they're opened. But I don't want to have to do that every time. Is there a way to make Trillian just put them all as tabs in one window?

I unchecked the option to "group message windows together according to contact list groups", and even restarted the program after that, but it seemed to do no good.

EniGmA1987
07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
I havent used trillian in like 6 months or so, but last I heard they were adding that feature to newer versions. I think it was Trillian Astra or something. It was in Beta last I checked and not available to the public. So you mihgt just have to suck it up for a while until a newer version is released

WoZZeR999
07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
There may be an option like, put chats into one container or something. It's been a while, but I think there is an option.

carmike692000
07-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. Appreciate it!

Quest_7F
07-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Pidgin. I love it, its so simple.

pheonix991
07-27-2008, 03:02 AM
I've been using digsby for a while now. It is okay, I think I'm going to switch back to trillian 3, and ride that till astra comes out.

Kashii
07-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Have u tried Miranda IM? I've used it for a while, and it's an AIO with support for many protocols. Can be skinned to your own likings, and there are enough configs out there to make it look even better (like this (http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3967/authentictwitterrificskia8.png)). I've went from Pidgin to Miranda IM for probably the same reasons (and the fact it auto closes conversations out of nowhere, or the horrible transfer speeds over gbit network).

Haven't really had the pleasure to work with Trillian, but u should give Miranda IM a try. Just be aware that some components might conflict with each other, so it's always wise to properly test it.

l33t p1mp
07-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Pidgin is the best of all the stuff I have ever used.

carmike692000
07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Do file transfers not work with the free version of Trillian? I sent a picture and received one just fine, but then a friend tried to send me a song and it would act like it was going to work (box would ask me to accept, but when I did) then it just disappeared. I know the plug-ins don't work unless you buy it *sigh*...

EnJoY
07-29-2008, 11:29 AM

Seconded. :up:

ExodusC
07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Thirded.

TheGoat Eater
07-29-2008, 12:48 PM

fourthed :rolleyes::D

carmike692000
07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow, I'm shocked to see it has such a following. Does nobody else have lagging/slow performance issues with pidgin?