PDA

View Full Version : vacuum pump oil

Weapon
09-23-2003, 04:40 PM
is there a viable substitute for vacuum pump oil that will work in a pinch?

I just missed the guyz at the local hvac shop and no one else in town seems to carry the stuff. :(

Weapon
09-23-2003, 06:51 PM
hmmmm..... PAG oil is the same viscosity...

lol.

anyone wanna at least lay some odds on whether the vacuum pump will survive this?

if it blows up, I'll post some pics later. :)

Gary Lloyd
09-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Use vacuum pump oil.

Weapon
09-23-2003, 10:21 PM
someone needs to start a chain of 24/7 hvac supply stores.

I found 3 stores that sell the vacuum pumps (auto stores of course) but not a single one of them carries the oil to go with the pumps they sell. :slapass:

so, I suppose I will resist the urge to play oil creation chemist (even though it sounds amazingly fun) and run to the hvac store in the morning.

while considering the possiblities of home-brewed vacuum oils, I pulled the suction line insulation off of the vapochill, wrapped it with a single, semi-tight layer of cork tape and then put the original insulation back over it -- that seems to have gotten it a few degrees colder. after looking at the one in the garage, the vapo compressor looks tiny in comparison...

bowman1964
09-24-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Weapon
hmmmm..... PAG oil is the same viscosity...

lol.

anyone wanna at least lay some odds on whether the vacuum pump will survive this?

if it blows up, I'll post some pics later. :)

well i am not sure if this has been posted before,but there are differant viscosity oils for PAG as i have 100 and 150 here at work.they are not all the same as some may believe.

Weapon
09-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by bowman1964
well i am not sure if this has been posted before,but there are differant viscosity oils for PAG as i have 100 and 150 here at work.they are not all the same as some may believe.

yeah - I double checked the viscosity on the PAG oil I had and the viscosity of the oil recommended by the pump manufacturer. 150 and 150. then, I concluded I would be better off to go bed if such ideas were starting to seem rational. :D So, I went to the hvac store and bought a nice supply of pump oil this morning...and some new high speed brazing rods to try out.

no need to risk torching a good 5cfm vacuum pump. well other than I have been eyeing a robinair pump in the 6-10 cfm range and I need a good excuse to buy one... . :slobber:

Gary Lloyd
09-24-2003, 12:47 PM
If you are pulling vacuum through 1/4" hoses and/or schrader valves, there is no good excuse. In fact, a good 1 CFM pump would do just as well. If you have too much money, send it to me. :D