PDA

View Full Version : Samsung LCD going bad

nfm
07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi all,
Something is not good with my LCD, I have almost the whole bottom taskbar image burned into LCD. E.g., when I move the tasbar to the top, set wallpaper to blue, I see with my bare eyes the "Start" button along with GNOME desktop icon and Fluxbox desktop manager bar. It's really hard to take a picture of it. I took a picture just right to that (bottom, center), there are burned in horizontal lines. I first thought it was graphics card artifacting but the lines do not show up on different LCD.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2993/badsammyvf0.jpg

Anybody ran into similar problem? I'm looking into the warranty, Samsung SyncMaster 915N.

Serpentarius
07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
ghosting?
i've checked your model ... it's 8ms types .... i would assume .. that's predictable ... 8ms is strictly for office works (non-gaming), therefore fast refresh rate is not an option

get those 2ms LCS for gamings ... there's nothing wrong .. just checkout some forums on LCDs before purchasing

Sparky
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Some LCDs develop a "memory" of sorts if you leave the same image up for a long time. But it isn't burned in like old CRTs used to do. Google it, there are ways to correct this.

BTW, OT, but I have an 8ms LCD and game on it just fine. It barely has any motion blur to it. 2 years old now.

Serpentarius
07-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Some LCDs develop a "memory" of sorts if you leave the same image up for a long time. But it isn't burned in like old CRTs used to do. Google it, there are ways to correct this.

BTW, OT, but I have an 8ms LCD and game on it just fine. It barely has any motion blur to it. 2 years old now.

I thought that's ghosting?
I got a samsung 8ms .. lousy office LCDs ..
bad at gaming ... often develop motion blurs ..

nfm
07-20-2008, 08:21 PM
@Serpentarius, this is in 2D mode, but if it 3D it would be ghosting I suppose. I experience no problems in 3D.

@SparkyJJO, I think you know what you're talking about. I 'll google it ;). Monitor was off for some time and I don't see any lines, "start" letters anymore. But they reappear after some time. But how can we explain the GNOME icon coming back when don't even boot into GNOME environment :confused: (e.g. Lower left icon is the one I'm talking about" (http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tr/contentPics/techrepublic_gnome_default_desktop.jpg)). The only changes that I made to my monitor few months ago is that I changed the gamma mode and adjusted the colors so more green and blue get's displayed, from 50% to 60%.

Another thing it may be it's a dying video card, it's exactly how Qimonda memory chips die on my 8800GT. The artifacts were getting worse and worse, I hope my mobo is not killing video cards or something bad is going on with PCIe slot.

Edit: It's 3 years and 3 months old, holy crap I'm getting old :eek:.
Forget about warranty.

darkorb
07-20-2008, 09:43 PM
You cant get burn in on a LCD.