PDA

View Full Version : Help me setup a ram waterblock test

Eddie3dfx
07-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't have much time this week, since my schooling is ending, but I want to setup a ram-cooling test by thursday.

Here is what I have..
2 1gb corsair 1066 crucial ballistix sticks
corsair dominator fan
basic stock corsair heatspreader
Aqua computer ramplex (with ramplex pads)
Alphacool flat temp sensor

First, I want to run the ram naked (I'll tape the temp sensor on one of the chips) Run it at idle, load, overclocked, etc.

Second, Run it with stock heatspreader (tape sensor inside, same series of tests.

Third, Run it with the corsair dominator fan (tape sensor inside, same series of tests)

Forth, Run it with the aqua computer aluminum block (no water)

Fifth, Run it with aqua computer aluminum block with water.

Any other ideas? :rolleyes:

philbrown23
07-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Here is what I have..
2 1gb corsair 1066 crucial ballistix sticks
corsair dominator fan
basic stock corsair heatspreader
Aqua computer ramplex (with ramplex pads)
Alphacool flat temp sensor

so are they corsair sticks or grucial sticks? :rofl:

leo_bsb
07-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh, good ideas so far.
I would try to measure the benefit from watercooling the RAM. Try to achieve a higher FSB or tight timings for example.

Eddie3dfx
07-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh, good ideas so far.
I would try to measure the benefit from watercooling the RAM. Try to achieve a higher FSB or tight timings for example.

I'll have to wait until the 780i comes in next week then.
Alright, project delayed.

Eddie3dfx
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Found this review. The drop is pretty big.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?tt=url&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fyoung-modders.de%2Fhome%2Fcontent%2Fview%2F30%2F55%2Flan g%2Cde%2F&lp=de_en&.intl=us&fr=yfp-t-501

http://young-modders.de/Reviews/Heranke/Ramplex/vergleich.png

A drop of 10c with water flowing vs 10c higher without water flowing. I'll see if mine has the same results.

philbrown23
07-20-2008, 03:51 PM
you could try out the new and old coolance waterblocks for ram, their newer versions look pretty goo, I have the older version nd they work well but you have to use 1/4 id tubing :(

leo_bsb
07-20-2008, 07:14 PM
I think you should take care of the measuring contact point.
I think it is difficult to take a good measure since you will have all mem chips on contact to the heatspreader.
Other than that, I always ask about performance since I didn't see any full cover VGA blocks claiming better memory clocks than VGA ram sinks like iandh's.

Martinm210
07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Awesome, looking forward to your results, especially with the comparison to the dominator fan, etc.

Thanks for testing!!

Xphobe
07-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I suppose this thread is appropriate enough to ask......does DDR3 get hot enough to actually need active cooling, or even more so, liquid cooling to make any difference? I am just wondering because for my next build I wanted to use passive (case fans) with the new Gskill HS. But, if active cooling makes a difference in performance I will plan differently.