PDA

View Full Version : Dead mars?

Drizzit
07-19-2008, 07:15 AM
OK.. i took out my mb to change cpu and cooler to a e8400 and a TRUE and it felt like everything went fine But when I try to power on the system again I get continious short beeping and nothing happens. After trying to clear cmos I have tried starting with my old cpu, another psu, another graphic card, new memory and with or without a HDD connected. And finally I have tried starting it out of the chassis to make sure nothing was shorted with that.

Once it got a little further with no beeping but never got any picture, and when i restarted it again it was back to the beeping.

So is my MB totaly dead or does anyone have any ideas on something I might have missed?

Original settings was:
x3210 with a tuniq120
Silverstone op650
Titanium Alpha VX2 DDR2 PC8000/1000MHz CL4 2x1GB
powercolor x1950xt
a 36Gb raptor and 2 storage disks.

And I changed to a e8400 and a TRUE cooler.

Kinshou Kuma
07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
4id you try booting with just 1 stick of ram in the slot closet to the cpu ? this happens to me alot as am constantly changing parts on my mars.

Drizzit
07-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes i tried that... even tried with no ram at all hoping I might get another error beep atleast but still same thing :(

HDCHOPPER
07-19-2008, 01:24 PM
use jumper for cmos take out batt unplug and leave it that way a few hours ( sounds silly eye know but had to do that once myself)

sometimes a seemingly failed overclock (by the way board acts & reboots ) really isnt sometimes just takes another reboot and same settings work fine it is a finicky board but a lot of fun !

grungero
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Can you enter the bios?

Drizzit
07-20-2008, 12:35 AM
I took out the battery for about 10 min but I'll try leave it out for longer today and see if it helps. And no I dont get into bios I dont even get a picture it just spins up fans then start beeping right away a never ending string of short beeps to fast to count (found a list of beepcodes so thought I'd try count them but they are to fast and as far as I can tell dont end till I turn it of forcefully).

grungero
07-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Do the video card of yours need a power connector? 4/6 pin?

Hmmmm, maybe a bad mobo. Let's wait a reply from this thread mods. :D

Drizzit
07-20-2008, 01:17 PM
yes it needs a 6pin connector but I tried with an older card that dont need one

philbrown23
07-20-2008, 01:22 PM
sounds like a dead board to me

HDCHOPPER
07-20-2008, 02:25 PM
beeps like that have been memory problums for me
and thier have been times when eye just new that my board was dead but it wasn't many many times

have pulled batt unpluged psu and held down the ON button to completly drain everything on the board and left it thier for hours
sometimes 10 times in a row !before it would finally post ... but the board allways came back ;)

adamsleath
07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
shock paddles :D

grungero
07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Still no reply from saaya and others. Maybe they're busy.

Did you try alternating your rams? As HDCHOPPER said.

Drizzit
07-20-2008, 04:40 PM
yes i tried alter 1 stick in all 4 slots as well as 2 sticks in both color slots as well as try with other memory.

Had the battery out all day today and still same thing so I'm starting to give up :/

HDCHOPPER
07-20-2008, 04:54 PM
which bios did all this happen with ?
and are you using both powerconnectors on the bord.. ya know the 6 pin and the 4 pin molex
and try to borrow some other make and speed ram and try again

saaya
07-21-2008, 01:27 AM
havent been online on the weekend, some coworkers took me on a surfing trip :surf: :woot:

could the heatsink be bolted down too tight?
maybe you cracked the pcb when you mounted the TRUE the first time or maybe it shorted the board somehow...
No idea how else the board could just die like that... hmmm
If unplugging the psu and removing the bios battery for a long time didnt help, then yeah, the board is probabaly dead... :(

grungero
07-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Can you post a picture of your mobo with mounted TRUE?

Drizzit
07-21-2008, 04:50 AM
its with p11 bios. first thing I thought of was it didnt like my new cpu and cooler so i changed back to my old cpu and cooler but same thing. And i doubt its was bolted to tight as it could even wiggle around on the cpu like people have posted.. my old cooler did not do that. Right now I got it mounted with the stock cooler I got with the cpu just to test so it wasnt the cooler shorting something out but yea well.. same thing.

Oh and yes I got all power connectors in.

Only been able to borrow mem of same speed tho but shouldnt it atleast give me another beep signal if I remove the mem completely? right now it does same thing no matter what i do.

I'm guessing i must have managed to short something out but no idea how. Do I need some plastic washers for mounting the TRUE? and if so why the hell dont they ship it with those....

HDCHOPPER
07-21-2008, 06:34 AM
man eye hate to think a Mars can die after all the sh*t eye put mine through ( and thats a lot of rough treatment )
eyema harley man not very dainty kinda rough with things lol !

ya sounds like you should of changed your bios before removing you last cpu

eye like the g26 & g 29 bios

give it a heck of a go with your old cpu and give it he11

grungero
07-21-2008, 06:34 AM
How bout making your board horizontally? Just in case TRUE maybe a little heavy? I'm kinda weird. :D

Drizzit
07-21-2008, 09:41 AM
its been horizontal all the time I havent raised it since I put the new stuff in heh...

and yea I know I should probably have changed bios before but it should atleast start with my old cpu then right..

HDCHOPPER
07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
ya eye would think so

after a scare or two eye started leaving the overclock recovery option on all my saves and slect it even when eye use load fail safe defaults (for reloading windows stuff and the like )

pretty shure that what's been saveing my butt ;)

blindfitter
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Now I had a similar problem the weekend with my Mars board, changed cpu from qx9650 to a 8500 and changed graphics’ card to 9800gx2. Started up no boot, fans are spinning but not the rewarding pip.

Started to strip things out, cmos etc everything I could think of, checked all the power leads, nothing I did would bring this baby back to life.

Then I pulled out PWR3 that’s the Molex by the graphic slot, and I got the pip, it booted.

I put the cable back in, fear of it being required, warm boot fine.

Switched off, switched from cold boot nothing, fans spinning, and took out the cable pwr3 whilst the fans were spinning, pip and its booting.

I have found this to be the case now,

So try this before throwing the board.

Also could some advise, why, and do you need the Molex when gx2 has 6pin and 8pin cables.
Psu Corsair 1000Hw

Drizzit
07-21-2008, 12:17 PM
you mean try boot it without the molex cable inserted? mine does a constant short beeping tho its not completely silent like yours seemed to be.

and for HDCHOPPER I dont get far enough to get into bios but the overclock recovery option was on when i changed cpu first time (had everything back to standard auto setting beside mem volt tho)

saaya
07-21-2008, 06:42 PM
lots of short beeps hmmmmm
could be memory... have you tried another stick or set of memory and tried another slot?

blindfitter hmmm weird... so with that videocard the molex plug on the board causes problems?
only with that card right?

HDCHOPPER
07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
good info to know blindfitter

Drizzit been racking my brain for ya ... not to insult ya but have ya tried something simple like another psu ?
( sometimes the little things slip right past me too)

saaya
07-21-2008, 09:27 PM
hmmm but the exact same system worked before, and now it doesnt, right?
so then it sounds like something is def damaged... and you tried all other boards besides the board and switched them for known to work parts right?
so then the board must be damaged.. but how? dont ask me... i have no clue... i can only suspect that since you said there wasnt much pressure from the heatsink it must have shorted the board somehow... or maybe you kicked off one or a few smd parts from the pcb somehow?

blindfitter
07-21-2008, 10:25 PM
lots of short beeps hmmmmm
could be memory... have you tried another stick or set of memory and tried another slot?

blindfitter hmmm weird... so with that videocard the molex plug on the board causes problems?
only with that card right?

Will do some more testing and let you know saaya:up:

saaya
07-21-2008, 10:48 PM
that would be great, if its def a bug of the 9800gx2 with the mars board then i can add this to the FAQ thread, and i can tell our engineers to make sure we wont run into such a bug again in future, provided it is a bug on our side... :)

Drizzit
07-22-2008, 01:59 AM
good info to know blindfitter

Drizzit been racking my brain for ya ... not to insult ya but have ya tried something simple like another psu ?
( sometimes the little things slip right past me too)

Yes I tried with another PSU its in my first post "After trying to clear cmos I have tried starting with my old cpu, another psu, another graphic card, new memory and with or without a HDD connected." ;)

hmmm but the exact same system worked before, and now it doesnt, right?
so then it sounds like something is def damaged... and you tried all other boards besides the board and switched them for known to work parts right?
so then the board must be damaged.. but how? dont ask me... i have no clue... i can only suspect that since you said there wasnt much pressure from the heatsink it must have shorted the board somehow... or maybe you kicked off one or a few smd parts from the pcb somehow?

It all worked fine till I decided to change cpu and cooler... after that it havent started again. I'w tried all my other parts in another system and nothing else seem to be damaged as far as I can find so I more or less gave up and declared it dead.

I still dont know how tho and thats whats bother me most as I might do it again without knowing lol. Would be good to know if I somehow broke it with the clooler or if I cracked it or w/e happened. As I said the heatsink kinda wiggled like people have posted before about the TRUE so I really doubt it was bolted on too tight but you never know... would be nice to know if the cooler shorted it out somehow cause then i dont know if i dare put it in again on next mobo :rolleyes:

Oh and for the record starting without that molex like Blindfitter said didnt help me sadly still same never ending short beeps right after fans spin up.

saaya
07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
one of our bios engineers uses the TRUE on one of his boards without any issues, and he only uses two bolts to hold it down, not all four... and it sits on the board really tight... so maybe mounting it with all 4 bolts and clamping them tight was really too much and cracked the pcb... :/

and yeah, i know that feeling when you killed or damaged some hardware but dont know how it happened, its really annoying and hard to move on :D

OMFGROFLMAO
01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey, i'm having the same problem, lots of short beeps and fans going/nothing on screen etc. but when i went to change the ram around and i turned it back on it wouldnt turn on at all? just the blue led turned on and nothing else??? does this mean my Mars is truely dead??

Thx.

Thenura
01-31-2009, 03:57 AM
offtopic - hey when i pushed the power button on MY pc casing all the fans starts spining and then it stops , then after 1 sec it started the fans again and booting :D Why is that ?

ontopic :P - beep came to me coz of the ram probs :D

kimohw
02-04-2009, 01:33 AM
offtopic - hey when i pushed the power button on MY pc casing all the fans starts spining and then it stops , then after 1 sec it started the fans again and booting :D Why is that ?

ontopic :P - beep came to me coz of the ram probs :D

it is normal, mine does same

HDCHOPPER
02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Hey, i'm having the same problem, lots of short beeps and fans going/nothing on screen etc. but when i went to change the ram around and i turned it back on it wouldnt turn on at all? just the blue led turned on and nothing else??? does this mean my Mars is truely dead??

Thx.

check with some different ram 1 stick at a time