PDA

View Full Version : Cant access files from another winxp installation.

demonized
09-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Cant access files from another winxp installation.
I've recently switched to an intel system. Before i replaced the cpu and motherboard I partitioned my hard drive into 2. I did this so i could install a new winxp installation and also so i wont have to loose the files i currently have on my hard drive. my problem is i cant access the my documents folder on the old xp installation. I keep getting access denied. any solutions to this?

TheDude
09-23-2003, 12:11 AM
So you have 2 bootable instances of XP on one drive? If so can you boot to the one that contains the My Doc folder you need to access? When you did the new install of XP, did you create the same logon and password as the other partition? If not, you could try creating that user in computer management, log on with it and see if you have access. Maybe try copying it across the partitions first and then see if you can access it? Were both partitions created with the same file system, like NTFS? If not convert one to match the other and try to access it. Just some thoughts.

demonized
09-23-2003, 12:20 AM
both were formatted using ntfs file system. I tried creating the same account on the new installation but didtn work. I can boot the old windows up but when it gets to the logon screen my mouse and keyboard doesnt work.

TheDude
09-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Is it a USB mouse and keyboard? If it is, plug a regular one in and try it. Did you try copying it over to the new partition and then try to open it?

demonized
09-23-2003, 12:40 AM
didn't work. i'll try plugging in an old keyboard.