PDA

View Full Version : how do you power a Meanwell S-320-12?

Kunaak
09-22-2003, 02:26 PM
how do you power a Meanwell S-320-12?

I just got one used, and this is my first real TEC PSU, and I don't see any way of powering it up, no plug in or anything...

mdzcpa
09-22-2003, 02:37 PM
What you need to do is wire in the PSU using an AC cord. You'll need to connect the white, black, and green AC wires to the back of the meanwell.

Here's a photo from an article a wrote a while back about adding TECs to a Swifty Quiet Power system:

http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/reviewphotos/TECupgrade/Picture_055.jpg

I also highly recommend that you use a relay to power the PSU on and off with the system power. If you don't do this, there is a chance that the system could power off, along with the water pump, and you have a pretty nasty thermal meltdown.

Here's a photo of the PSU relay (and pump relay):
http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/reviewphotos/TECupgrade/Picture_087.jpg

One relay is for the TEC PSU and the other for the water pump so both turn on and off with the entire system.

BTW, I didn't use a relay at first, and this was the result when I had an unexpected system shutdown while the TEC kept running
:eek:
http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/ForumPics/BadTEC/burn2.jpg

Have fun and be smart and safe:)

rabeb25
09-22-2003, 03:16 PM
yay I had a mcw50-t that looked just like that only it had a r9700p core soldered to it wooot!!

yup wiring is easy v+ is red (positive), and v- is well of course the black (ground). hook up like 110v wires just as he said and bam your in business.
Bryan

edit. O yea definitly be safe, take care and remember to shut it all off or use a relay. I came home to a room full of smoke,the worst semilling smoke ever at that, and all my hoses and pump, and mcw50-t were melted and messed up, not to mention my awesome 9700 pro :mad:

saaya
09-22-2003, 03:16 PM
hoooollyyyyyy crap

KnightElite
09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Heh, mdzcpa, I did the same thing and learned my lesson as well ;).

mdzcpa
09-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Hehe....I'm glad I'm not alone in accomplishing such a bonehead move:D

afireinside
09-22-2003, 07:00 PM
So the water got so damn hot and the pressure poped the block?

Kunaak
09-22-2003, 08:18 PM
mdzcpa, excellent advice there, but I don't use TEC's on a daily basis. I use them in benchmarking sessions with dry ice, on the northbridge or videocard.
at the moment, I have it jimmy rigged to power my vapochill, it's bowmans old R404 vapochill, and this meanwell powers it very very well, its now sitting there at -43C :)

I got a MCX462+T to play with the new Meanwell PSU, and it works suprisingly well, the heatsink itself is over 130F and burns to the touch with the 226 pelt on, but the cold side is a chilly 29F.
not bad for air cooling ;)
but no AMD CPU to play with at the moment, bowman has my last Xp1700, and he's been doing so damn well with it, that I just don't have the heart to take it back yet.

as for powering it, I took a look at the first pic, and rememberd that my Oven came with a wire exactly like that, Green White and Black wire, so I hooked that wire up and it appears to work perfect.
with my multimeter, the voltages available look to be 9 volts to 13.7.

not bad for $40 dollars :)
thanks for the help guys.

rabeb25
09-22-2003, 08:39 PM
cool yup the meanwell works great for a psu, I use mine for my prommie. I have it rigged so i hit a switch and the prommie starts up with the meanwell, and gets super cold fast with no load. I also use the voltage knob to control my fan speeds on the prommie, I have 3 ys (i think) 120's on there and can get loud. When gaming or benchmarking just crank them up with that knob. Works awesome.
Bryan

krag
09-25-2003, 06:39 PM
mdzpa...are the 2 relays spliced together or are they on 2 seperate power cicuits? i have a waterpump and a TEC in my Vapo with the pump on a seperate relay. My Mean Well is waiting for installation at the moment.

mdzcpa
09-26-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by krag
mdzpa...are the 2 relays spliced together or are they on 2 seperate power cicuits? i have a waterpump and a TEC in my Vapo with the pump on a seperate relay. My Mean Well is waiting for installation at the moment.

Yes, they are on seperate circuits:) I did this so that the system could be powered up without the TEC PSU coming on if I change back to my non tec blocks (for testing and stuff). I just pull the cord from the TEC PSU relay and that's it.

Bra!nFreeZe^
09-30-2003, 09:03 AM
DAMN that looks nice (the wiring) but the meltdowns looks nasty and it sure means smoken $$

Jabo
09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
I just love to see 'Extreme Cooling Gone Badly Wrong' piccies :slobber:
It's equivalent of p0Rn in ocing world, he he he ;)

I got my system rigged in such a way the there is no possibility of any thermal meltdown and I am no tusing any relays at all, just a bit of ingenuity :rolleyes:

I bought a power extension with four sockets and normal light switch (externaly mountable version).
I plugged my pump, my TEC's PSU and MY main PC power lead into it and wired the switch between the extension and wall power socket. Whenever I want to switch my machine on I have to hit this switch which powers at that moment pump and my TECs. Only then, with pump and TECs running I can press case power buttom and switch my machine on.
Cost? One 4 way power extension and light switch. Realiability? 100%
It is simply not possible to switch mu PC on without pump and TECs running.
How complicated the installations is?
N00b level.

Have fun :)

KnightElite
09-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Ah, but you have a problem still... you could do what I did. I turned the PC off, and left the TEC on. That's when things started melting ;).

mdzcpa
09-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by KnightElite
Ah, but you have a problem still... you could do what I did. I turned the PC off, and left the TEC on. That's when things started melting ;).

Yep....that's how my meltdown occured...kinda.

Actually what happened for me is that I had Motherboard Monitor CPU temp alarm set too low. I had just installed everything and forget to shut the MBM auto shutdown off. My temps hit higher than anticipated levels (while Folding when I was asleep) and MBM shutdown the system. Unfortunately the TEC, which happened to be powered on a power strip too :), did not power down. The rest is history.

You'll never convince me otherwise. The system, pump, and TEC PSU must power on, and off, togther at all times for max safety:)

KnightElite
09-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Agreed. And power strips with built in relays are uber easy to make ;). Took about 15 minutes, and we had never done it before ;).

Jabo
10-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by KnightElite

No I don't . ;)
When I shut my PC down pelts, pump AND fans are still on. The only effect is temps dropping very quickly :)

KnightElite
10-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Ah, okay. Well, I would still be more comfortable with a relay ;).

Jabo
10-01-2003, 01:51 PM
There's one BIG advantage with my setup, you can pre-cool your silicone BEFORE turning system on.
Extreme voltages (at such temps, vapo can get much higher vcores) wouldn't even POST without precooling, imho :)

mdzcpa
10-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Mine won't post either without some pre cooling. But, the system doesn't need to post to power up the pump and TEC. So, I hit the button, wait on the dead screen for about a minute or 2 , then hit reset and it posts right up:)

Jabo
10-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by mdzcpa
Mine won't post either without some pre cooling. But, the system doesn't need to post to power up the pump and TEC. So, I hit the button, wait on the dead screen for about a minute or 2 , then hit reset and it posts right up:)
Doesn't it excessively heat load your chip?
Ya know, massive volts with no cooling...
I don't konw, does it trip overheating protection or what? (so it refuses to post)

mdzcpa
10-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Jabo
Doesn't it excessively heat load your chip?
Ya know, massive volts with no cooling...
I don't konw, does it trip overheating protection or what? (so it refuses to post)

That's actually a damn fine question:)

There are two mitigating factors to thermal meltdown on boot up.

First, a pelt cools waaaay faster than phase change. So cooling begins real quick on power up. My pelts can begin frosting up in about 20 seconds.

Second, my daily overclock is not such that the CPU will get too hot and damage itself during cool down. It's only to the point where it has trouble posting and loading all the way into windows sometimes. That's when I need to hit the reset.

When I am extreme benching and really pumping the voltage, I just use the jumpers on the relays and have them powered up for a cool down before posting.

Sometimes it's hard to get all of the details into every post:)