PDA

View Full Version : Liquid cooled fan controllers

Eddie3dfx
07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm curious to what you guys use to adjust your fans based on the cpu/graphics temps.
I was looking at the innovatek fan o-matic (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1006/bus-62/Innovatek_Fan-O-Matic_Micro_Fan_Controller_500855.html?tl=g36c17)
but it looks like it only can use one thermal sensor. The pc software and reviews look nice, but with 3 loops, thats 3x the cost.

The second one is the T-balancer sensor, which I am not sure adjusts fan temperature based on gpu/cpu temps http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48&products_id=21634

Curious to what you guys use.

KVL
07-15-2008, 09:27 PM
https://www.crystalfontz.com/index.html/ Matrix Orbital

shachar2
07-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Try to look at those sites: mCubed (http://www.t-balancer.com/english/index.htm), Aqua-computers (http://www.aqua-computer.de/e_index.htm)

Logos
07-16-2008, 02:46 AM
the title of this thread is a bit misleading ;) , unless you do intend to watercool the controller itself :confused::D

jonny_ftm
07-16-2008, 02:50 AM
There are many threads recently discussing the controllers, if you search or read recent topics, but I'll take to sum it as it's still a hot topic for me :)

Your info seems wrong, you missed reading the products specifications :confused:

1- The Fan-O-Matic Pro looks to be a great product. I don't know where you saw one sensor? It has 8 sensors you can extend up to 16 and handle a total load of 48W.
The Fan-O-Matic Pro can select output to analog or PWM. That's a thing to consider if you plan using a m-cubed FanAmp to control a 18W laing pump. The PWM output should make it easier to setup.
They seem to have a bad software though, and didn't see much feedback as it costs really too much

2- The T-balancer sensor if you read well, is "Only to be used with the T-Balancer classic/bigNG". There are enough topics here discussing the T-Balancer, just make a search. It is a great product that's also compatible with the FanAmp to control many pumps. It has a 20W per channel rating, so the only one I know about that will AUTO control a laing pump without any modding via one channel or more pumps via the FanAmp

3- There's the Aquaero, less expensive than the Fan-O-Matic, less powerfull in Watts and number of channels, but definately one of the best products with a software suite always updated and maintained + firmwares. It won't allow Auto-control of pumps even using the Poweradjust addon. It doesn't output PWM, so using the FanAmp sounds too tricky

4- The Sunbeam Extreme: if you want to control fans and pumps manually, no auto control, than it is the way to go

5- Motherboard sensors coupled with some fanamps and speedfan: the cheapest yet very effective solution

You have it all summed up. There are so many other controllers, but those are the best

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 04:34 AM
You know, I should of explain what I wanted a little more clearly.
Yes, I want something around $50, thats just an external circuit that I can mount in some corner of the case, like a fan-o-matic or t-balancer.
Something that will automatically adjust the fans along with the software for around $50 (Minus sensors of course) So far the Innovatek Fan-O-Matic Micro Fan Controller and T-Balancer seem to be what I need, moreso the Tbalancer as it gives you the option of more sensors. Aquero and fan-omatic pro are beautiful, but they are lcd bayed devices that cost $199-289.

I like the idea of my fans being more quiet at idle or near idle. I also like the heat-temp cutoff to shutoff the computer through the card.

Lloyd
07-16-2008, 04:47 AM
I've been very impressed with my T-Balancer BigNG, so that's what i would recommend. PLus you can mount it anywhere, 3.5" bay, spare PCI slot or just in the corner of your case. BigNG FTW

Nickel020
07-16-2008, 05:05 AM
I'm using the Aquaero and am very happy with it. The software is great and you can easily control your fans based on water temperature. It can also take a flow meter, which the mCubed T-balancer cannot, it needs the sensor hub for that.

Btw, you can also buy the Aquaero in the "LT" version, which is bascially only the cicuit board without the display. You can even upgrade an "LT" version later on to the regular version with display as the display is available seperately.

Here's a link to the "LT" version:
http://sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaqltmufu.html

Also, for 50$ you won't get a software configurable fan controle, the Aquaero LT is the cheapest at $89 and th T-Balancer bigNG is slightly more expensive

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 05:11 AM
I'm using the Aquaero and am very happy with it. The software is great and you can easily control your fans based on water temperature. It can also take a flow meter, which the mCubed T-balancer cannot, it needs the sensor hub for that.

Btw, you can also buy the Aquaero in the "LT" version, which is bascially only the cicuit board without the display. You can even upgrade an "LT" version later on to the regular version with display as the display is available seperately.

Here's a link to the "LT" version:
http://sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaqltmufu.html

Also, for 50$ you won't get a software configurable fan controle, the Aquaero LT is the cheapest at $89 and th T-Balancer bigNG is slightly more expensive

Oh thanks for posting that. I will look at that one as well.
Mcubed came out with the new T-Balancer miniNG which is about $50.

http://www.t-balancer.com/generell/mng-install.jpg

Nickel020
07-16-2008, 05:16 AM
I know the miniNG, I considered it but bought the Aquaero instead as you cannot control the miniNG by software unless you have a bigNG. You can only adjust it using the potentiometers and you need two temp sensors if you want to use both fan channels.

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 05:23 AM
I know the miniNG, I considered it but bought the Aquaero instead as you cannot control the miniNG by software unless you have a bigNG. You can only adjust it using the potentiometers and you need two temp sensors if you want to use both fan channels.

With the aquero, can it manage fans that don't have the rpm sensor? (volt adjustment)
I read something that bothers me with the M-Cube, considering my fans are old panaflos that only have red/black.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=2&artpage=1884&articID=452

The miniNG can power any fan, it has enough voltage and amperage, multiple Vantec Tornado/Delta fan’s are no problem, the only requirement is that the fan you are using has a 3-pin connector with RPM signal; if you try to use a fan without RPM signal (or you try to reroute the RPM signal to the motherboard) the miniNG turns into a dumb device letting the fan spin at 100% at all times no matter how you configured it. Luckily about 99% of all fans made for home computers have the required RPM signal, after plugging them into the miniNG the unit will be able to control them flawlessly.

Alright, forget the mini-g, thats out

WoZZeR999
07-16-2008, 05:38 AM
The BigNG doesn't have the problem that they stated. I have a old crappy fan that only has power (red/black) and it adjusts the fan fine. I really like my BigNG, and I have the fans controlled based on water temp. This prevents the fan from randomly speeding up once there is full load on a hot day.

I recommend a BigNG, even though it costs a few extra dollars. There haven't been any updates, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. I will be using it in the future on a tri-loop build to control all 3 sets of fans based on their respective water temps.

RickCain
07-16-2008, 05:59 AM
Oh thanks for posting that. I will look at that one as well.
Mcubed came out with the new T-Balancer miniNG which is about $50.

http://www.t-balancer.com/generell/mng-install.jpg

Only problem is you need two of these to get four fan outputs so that actually makes it more money than an Aquaero LT.

Both have their pluses and minus's. The Aquaero is still getting constant updates which means a lot to me.

Bojamijams
07-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Damn.. the 655 / D5 has no RPM sensor built in :(

jonny_ftm
07-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Damn.. the 655 / D5 has no RPM sensor built in :(

Yes, it has. It is the blue cable you cut off thinking it is useless :rofl:

Just joking, but yes, it has the blue cable

WoZZeR999
07-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Only the 655-B (non-variable) has the RPM sensor I believe. The original 655 did not have an rpm sensor.

Bojamijams
07-16-2008, 08:43 AM
I don't have the 655 yet. Have it ordered but.. will be rather dissapointed if I can't read its RPM value like you can on the DDC.

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I have 2 D5's. The laing d5 variable which does not have the yellow/blue rpm wire.
I also have the swiftech d5-B which is not variable, but does have the yellow/blue wire :( (it's also much slower)
It makes no sense that the faster one doesn't have it, which sucks.

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM

Can the aqueaero lt use fans that don't have the rpm sensor?

Bojamijams
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I have 2 D5's. The laing d5 variable which does not have the yellow/blue rpm wire.
I also have the swiftech d5-B which is not variable, but does have the yellow/blue wire :( (it's also much slower)
It makes no sense that the faster one doesn't have it, which sucks.

Wow.. that sucks. Now I need to buy a flow sensor to be able to set up a failsafe if a pump dies.

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 10:20 AM
I personally would not waste your money on a flow sensor, as it does nothing but impede flow.
You are better off having your computer on shutdown mode at a certain temp.
the $49 fanomatic will shutoff your computer at a certain temp, because it lets you hook the power cable straight to it. I believe you can do it in the bios with a cpu, but if it's a gpu or anything else, speedfan I believe would work.
I want one fan controller that will adjust with 2-3 loops and be a failsafe in case the temps go above a certain degree, in case the pump fails.

WoZZeR999
07-16-2008, 10:39 AM
BigNG has the options, but you will have to spend a little extra.

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
BigNG has the options, but you will have to spend a little extra.

I think it's the size that I don't have room for.
Aquero is out as it has a very weak fan controller.

Fan Connections: 4 outputs with speedometer signal, max. 5W/channel, 0.4A.

WoZZeR999
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
The BigNG has a RPM passthrough. 4 fan connectors at 20W Per. It's not as big as the pictures make it out to be. What case are you getting?

Eddie3dfx
07-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I have a tagan black pearl (v2000 oem)
The problem is I have 4 radiators, 3 loops, 3 pumps, 8 blocks, and a patridge in a pear tree :)

RickCain
07-16-2008, 10:57 AM

That is on old V3 hardware..... V4 supports 10W per channel. That means you can run upwards of 10 fans on the unit without problems. :up:

majestik
07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
That is on old V3 hardware..... V4 supports 10W per channel. That means you can run upwards of 10 fans on the unit without problems. :up:

Sanyo Denkis are 6W each. So you could run a whooping 4 of them.

jonny_ftm
07-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Just to confirm all Aquaeros since 2005 are 10W/channel and 30W total