PDA

View Full Version : Taking Pictures of Shiny Surfaces -- Help!

ferrari_freak
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a crappy 4.1MP Sony DSCP73 camera. I have a little problem in that I get really blurry results if I take pictures of shiny surfaces, like coins. Any of you guys know what might be the problem (and how to solve it)? Thanks in advance :)

Nate P.
07-15-2008, 08:15 PM
The camera may be focusing on the reflection, rather than the actual object... I guess the only way to remedy this is manual focusing on the object (your camera can manual focus right?).

Soulburner
07-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Sounds like the camera can't focus. Angle yourself so light isn't reflecting off the object. Or, focus on something at the same distance, such as the table or surface its on.

hixie
07-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Try a polarizer, might do the trick.

MikeB12
07-16-2008, 03:37 AM
my little point and shoot canon powershot screws up shiny surface pics with the flash on... I usually turn the flash off and provide an external light source or shoot it outside in the sun..
but I'm a photo noob, and it is a point and shoot powershot on auto...

hixie
07-16-2008, 03:51 AM
my little point and shoot canon powershot screws up shiny surface pics with the flash on... I usually turn the flash off and provide an external light source or shoot it outside in the sun..
but I'm a photo noob, and it is a point and shoot powershot on auto...

Common problem? My Canon Powershot S5 does that as well. I take forever slowly trying every setting and holding a polarizer in front of the lens to get some good images.
I use the flash all the time, but place a sheet of A4 paper in front of the flash works wonders :up:

W1zzard
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
use manual focus,

or focus on something that is not reflective but the same distance, then move the camera with the button half pressed to point at the shiny surface.