PDA

View Full Version : radiator question.

Squ33k
07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been thinkin for a while now about putting a watercooling system for my setup .. (it will be in a new case and i haven't decided what case yet)
im only gonna cool my CPU wich is a QX6850, and i have a few questions.
I would NOT want to modify my case.

1. how big differense is there between a 1*120 and a 2*120 in cooling.

2. is it a good choise to put 2st 1*120 at different places in the case if there isn't any room for a 2*120

Martinm210
07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I've been thinkin for a while now about putting a watercooling system for my setup .. (it will be in a new case and i haven't decided what case yet)
im only gonna cool my CPU wich is a QX6850, and i have a few questions.
I would NOT want to modify my case.

1. how big differense is there between a 1*120 and a 2*120 in cooling.

2. is it a good choise to put 2st 1*120 at different places in the case if there isn't any room for a 2*120

1. About twice the heat dissipation, or about half of the water temperature. I think most people will suggest starting with a 240 for just about anything. You can dissipate in the 160-190Watt range with a 120 using good strong fans at a 10C water delta. So it'll do ok on a dual core or lower wattage CPU, but getting into quads can already put you over 200 watts and a 10C delta isn't anything extreme in performance, only average. Anyhow, I'd also always suggest starting with at least a 240 but it all really depends on the fans used. You can literally get as much as 5X the performance using really strong fans vs. something silent, so fan performance is HUGE.

2. Sure, putting two 120's in series is fine. Restriction on most radiators is very low compared to CPU blocks, if it works for your setup, go for it. Just make sure you're pulling cool outside air into and through the radiator and not sending hot case air or recirculated air from something else. PLACEMENT and ensuring cold air enters the radiator is also extremely important.:up:

Squ33k
07-16-2008, 06:44 AM
thanks for the nice answer :) ...
have 1 question left though .... i know its hard as hell to answer... but is there any posibility anyone can guess on a hinch or something what the temp will be if i use a 1*120 or a 2*120 ? (i dont know anyone that has watercooling ... and i cant find anyone that posts the temp with a QX6850 .. only results on the clock)

Nickel020
07-16-2008, 07:17 AM
The temp difference between a dual and a single rad would probably be something like 5-10°C
I would not go with watercooling if you only use a single rad as the performance difference to a very good air cooler will be very small but the price will be considerably higher.

If you get this you can easily mount a dual radiator at the back of your case:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcrre2raho.html

Squ33k
07-16-2008, 08:48 AM
ok.... but is there any guess on what temp the qx6850 will be NON-clocked and with a fresh wc system ? ..

im thinkin' about going with a

Apogee GTX for the CPU.
Laing DDC - 1Plus (18W) - PRO as the pump.
Swiftech MCRES-Micro AGB as the reservoir.

probably Noctua NF-S12-1200, 120mm Fläkt, 1200RPM, 17 dB(A) as fans, both for the case and the rad ... (wich im still thinkin' about wich one to choose)

The Shooter
07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I will post in here, what do you think is this rad good?
https://www.cool-pc.org/productdetail.php?prodid=1089
its from copper and brass, weight 1200g