PDA

View Full Version : Qx9650+790iUltra/x48+GTX280 SLI/R700 Xfire single loop quest

tekjunkie
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
This is my very first try @ going liquid(have been doing a lot of research) and was wondering whether I could get away with a single loop. I plan to buy a TJ07BW for this project.The components that I plan to use are

Pump: Dual DDC 3.2 with XSPC res top and another XSPC top
or
Dual MCP655 vario with the new EK top and EK res

CPU block: EK supreme with the plexi top

NB Block: EK NB-SMax or any compatible block

GFX: EK FC blocks for two 280 GTX or two HD4870x2

Radiator:The new TFC 480ER quad rad

Tubing: Tygon R3603 1/2in. ID 3/4in OD

Fittings : Bitspower compression fittings for 1/2in. ID 3/4in OD(G1/4'')

This is my planned loop order

Res->pump->t-line(for easy draining)->rad(Bottom chamber of TJ07BW)-> CPU->NB->GFX->res

Is this even possible.??If not I am thinking of adding a TFC-240 up top on the TJ07 and the loop will be like this

Res->pump->t-line(for easy draining)->rad(Bottom chamber of TJ07BW)-> CPU->NB->rad(top)->GFX->res

What do you guys think??

I have a lot more questions to ask but am afraid that the post is already long enough to bore you guys. So if you guys think it's feasible I will ask the rest of my questions as I am such a noob @ WC.

MomijiTMO
07-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Probably not if you want your fans in the quiet range. If you added the 240 rad in the roof your your TJ07 then things would be happy as larry.

Might as well have 2 loops. It's only going to cost a pump and res to get better results.

0xdeadbeef
07-14-2008, 02:54 AM
Are you sure you can mount a TFC 480 inside the TJ07? It will be a very, very tight fit. The Black Ice 480 GTX is a few cm shorter and will mount without problem. Do a search here and you will find more info. Here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166483) is an example.

You will not fit the TFC 240 inside the case on the top. You must use a slimmer rad like Black Ice Pro 240. There are a lot of worklogs how to mount a rad in the top, just do a search. Here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145943) is more info.

Hijack
07-14-2008, 05:05 AM
The TJ07 is 565mm deep, with approximately 540mm being usable given the curve up from the bottom to the front face of the case. The TFC 480 is (only) 523mm long. It will fit no problem at all.

IanY
07-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Good luck adding a TFC240 at the top of a TJ-07. I don't think that's possible. Only slim rads like the MCR220 or the BI Stealth will fit there. Otherwise, it'll interefe severely with your SLI/Crossfire video cards.

You probably can add a TFC240 at the bottom, along with a TFC480, provided that you use a relatively short PSU (like the Corsair, definitely not Enermax Galaxy or PCP&C 1kW).

You'll need all the radiator help you can get. I would personally choose a bigger case, but that's just me. I have a TJ-07 myself (old one), but its not used for water cooling.

tekjunkie
07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
First and foremost I want to thank everybody who responded and very much appreciate it. As always XS members rock. I feel obligated to explain my choice of parts and going for a single loop.The reasons are:

Case
I am very very clumsy when it comes to doing any kind of stuff like case modding and I live in an apartment. So my choice of case was clear. I have been reading about the best case for dual rads internally and I saw a lot of people use TJ07 with no/minimal modding(like taking out the HDD cages and mounting them on the 51/4'' drive bays).

CPU Block
I was debating between fuzion V2 or the EK supreme and also so want to go with the compression fittings(they look so sexy).So I chose EK. I would have to also look at the new swiftech GTZ or maybe even the XSPC edge(Acrylic top+me=disaster).If I go GTZ or the edge that would change a lot of things.

Pumps
I read that the supreme is a lot restrictive and even if I go with two loops(1 for the gfx cards and one for the CPU+NB), I would have to give it all the helps that the block could get, so I would have to go with dual DDC 3.2. SInce I am going with dual DDC 3.2s, I might as well put everything in one loop. But if I put so much of pressure points in the loop, it would still be restrictive no matter how many pumps I put serially.So I might as well go with two loops with 3 pumps :eek:, two for the CPU +NB loop and 1 for the gfx card. I am still debating it.

Rads
This is where things got really interesting. I was thinking of going something like dual PA 120.3 for two loops first, but after reading and searching for it(Google), came to know that TJ07 can't fit 2x120.3s internally without mods.I also read here @ XS that a lot people say that 480ER fits in the bottom. This also made me go toward having a single loop as if I go a 480ER and a dualy like TFC-240 or a PA 120.2 in two loops, I might not get good performance.Hence the chocie of 480ER and TFC-240/PA120.2 in a single loop.

Hope all these makes sense. Thanks again guys.

JINU
07-14-2008, 05:15 PM
yes the gtx480 fits in the TJ07 have one aswell and a gtx240....got the gtx series cause of the push/pull setup on em are better i hear but not so sure so trying it out myself. to be honest im actually doing almost the same thing your doing lol....

NaeKuh
07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Okey no one can tell you what to get when you yourself havent decided on what you want.

im sorry but nvidia boards and intel boards are completely different.

The cooling layout is also funky on the nvidia, so anyone recomending you parts besides the radiator without you finalizing your parts is funny.

Oh and i own a X38 with Xfire, and 780i with SLI. So i know what im talking about.

Justintoxicated
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I would hope its possible :) I'm planning all that minus 1 card with PA 120.3....

HaCKs
07-14-2008, 09:09 PM
If you're planning on cooling that all with one loop, the X38 would be a better way to go because the 790i NB gets BOILING hot, while the x48 stays nice and cool. I know, I have both. (well 780i not 790i)

tekjunkie
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Okey no one can tell you what to get when you yourself havent decided on what you want.

im sorry but nvidia boards and intel boards are completely different.

The cooling layout is also funky on the nvidia, so anyone recomending you parts besides the radiator without you finalizing your parts is funny.

Oh and i own a X38 with Xfire, and 780i with SLI. So i know what im talking about.

First of all thanks for comming in and chimming in. I am leaning toward the 4870x2(now that the numbers are out and even for a pre-release product it looks good) and a good x48 motherboard to go with it(Blackops or the P5E3 premium). The only downside to going AMD/ATI and Intel is that I really want a board with 3 x16PCI-E slots or atleast 2 of x16 and an x8 slot so that I can slap a Areca raid controller for the OCZ core series SSD with crossfire. But I guess I can live with a x8 controller going in x4 mode:shrug:. I really repect your opinion(AT WC forum admin:up:), but will all due repects I don't know how my choice of the platform would affect the loop order. I understand that it does affect the tube routing and the heat dissipation of the gfx card, but other than that I don't what else it would affect. It would be great if you get shed some light on it.

tekjunkie
07-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Ok I did some more research and it looks like I should be OK with TFC-480 and an TFC-240 in the bottom chamber and I could probably mount them with industrial strength Velcro(Thanks to CD) without having to do touch the dremel. Here are the dimensions(LxHxW)

289.0mm x 62mm x 123mm -TFC-240
or
300.7mm x 64mm x 126mm -PA 120.2

200.0mm x 86mm x 160mm - TT 1200W PSU

523.0mm x 60mm x 126mm - TFC 480

TJ07 Dimensions (LxWxH)

563.88 mm x 220.98 mm x 558.8 mm

Remember that the Width becomes the height and the height becomes the width for the PSU and the rad, hence the diferrent notations of LxHxW and LxWxH.

I am still debating between single and dual loops. What I was thinking was put the CPU and the dualy in a single loop and the NB and GFX in the other loop with the quad. But the problem is that if I go the nvidia route, I might go with the third 280GTX when the prices come down. Still have a lot of decision to make but have some time since RV700 release is atleast 3 weeks away.

tekjunkie
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
No more inputs :(. I am leaning more and more towards Rampage extreme and 4870x2 in crossfire X and ditch the RAID controller. Any more input will be much appreciated.

Trigger5521
07-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Tekjunkie,

Note the bitspower 1/2 compression fittings for tygon tubing are crazy huge, they do fit on EK NB s-max, NB-SB Asus 1 or a D-TEK fusion. Just went through it last night.

Look here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82357&stc=1&d=1216696641

tekjunkie
07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Tekjunkie,

Note the bitspower 1/2 compression fittings for tygon tubing are crazy huge, they do fit on EK NB s-max, NB-SB Asus 1 or a D-TEK fusion. Just went through it last night.

Look here

Thanks a lot Trigger, I am going EK supreme for the CPU block. For the NB block, I would have to do some more reasearch which ones would fit the BP compression fittings. If not, I guess I could live with the Fat boys on em.