PDA

View Full Version : CS3 vs Elements 6

ferrari_freak
07-13-2008, 03:59 PM
This question has probably been asked hundreds of times before (and search didn't help so...), but what are the main differences between PSE6 and PS CS3? I want to get into photo editing but since I'm a total beginner I was thinking that I should get PSE6 for now seeing as it's so much cheaper than CS3. If at some point I feel like Elements isn't getting the job done, I can consider going with CS3.

P.S. I don't like piracy, thanks :p:

Dave_Sz
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
wow, this is one case where piracy is ur friend. Download both see which u like better, and buy it.

MomijiTMO
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
It depends what you want to do. If you are talking about doing minor work then Elements is for you. However if you want control over your brush and want to create [my favourite thing in the world] layer masks then you need CS3. You have a lot more options, especially in colour control in CS3. Apparently you have less control over the layer options too.

I found this chart (http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/article.php?id=288) comparing CS2 to Elements 6.

faster3200
08-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi guys I am new here (been lurking the water and news boards) but I have a fair amount of photoshop experience.

Momiji, is correct. Basically Elements retains most of the same functionality as the full version but it is missing a lot of tweaking options that advanced users use. I haven't used Elements since version 2.0 though but I remember that it didn't handle everything in the same way that the normal version does. For example, if you merged something with layer styles the layer styles would no longer be editable as they are in CS3. I also remember the layer style choices being very bad compared to PS 7 (the current at the time).

Assuming cost is an issue, CS3 is a good choice if you really want to get into graphic or web design. If you just want to retouch some photos or play around a bit PSE is a good choice until you out grow it (a new PS version will probably be out by then).

Either way I would recommend you download a trial of CS3 first.