PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning dye stained tygon

extremis
07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I mistakenly spilled drops of red Feser dye on the outside of my new tygon tubing. I guess I didn't notice it, because it stained.

I've realized that if you catch a dye spill quick, you can clean it with alcohol. However, this won't come out. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning stained Tygon tubing? This red dye is especially noticeable.

IanY
07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Doesn't alcohol work ? Acetone (nail polish remover) ? Diluted household bleach ?

Just make sure you clean it real well afterwards.

extremis
07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Doesn't alcohol work ? Acetone (nail polish remover) ? Diluted household bleach ?

Just make sure you clean it real well afterwards.

99% alcohol, no.

I haven't tried acetone or bleach. I was hoping that someone knew exactly what would clean dye from the tygon before I experimented.

Zaskar
07-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmm, I wonder if it might of soaked a bit into the tubing., you might not be able to clean it off.

Lloyd
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
won't acetone cloud/react with the tube?

Skauneboy
07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, acetone sounds like a big no-no to me. I mean, is there any plastic or rubber that acetone doesn't attack?

C'DaleRider
07-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, acetone sounds like a big no-no to me. I mean, is there any plastic or rubber that acetone doesn't attack?

Here's a link to Saint-Gobain's complete inventory broken up by resistance to acetone:

http://www.tygon.com/data/chemicalresistance/ChemicalResistance.asp?ID=4

Here's a link to all chemicals Saint-Gobain's tubing has been tested against....and what is good, excellent, fair, etc. Click the chemical name to see the list, like the acetone list above.

http://www.tygon.com/data/chemicalresistance/ChemicalList.asp?ALL=True

NaeKuh
07-15-2008, 05:11 PM
won't acetone cloud/react with the tube?

acetone will EAT your tubing. :rofl:

You need to replace the tubing.

Or you can try scrubbing bubbles.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod3879178&CATID=100783&skuid=sku3878027&V=G&ec=frgl_543515&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3878027

That works really good on tubing, and its 1/2ID Friendly!!

@CD, nah CD i tried acetone. It makes the tubing go white, cuz it eats the interior. Its really nasty stuff on plastic rubber, and vinyl.

Scrubbing bubbles is your best shot. Besides replacing the tubing.

John Planet
07-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Hmm, I wonder if it might of soaked a bit into the tubing., you might not be able to clean it off.

Exactly right. If the tubing is stained, it's stained into the tubing wall.

NaeKuh
07-15-2008, 07:21 PM
im telling you, try scrubbing bubbles. You have nothing else to lose.

First remove the green nozzle, then just connect your tube to it, and then let the thing rip. The bubbles will go all the way out to the other end, and you let it sit there for a bit.

Then you rince with water and then distilled, and its good to go.

If scrubbing bubbles cant take it out, then yes you have no choice but to replace tubing. But you'll be suprised at how well it works.

And no its not recomended inside your radiator.

xtclocker
07-15-2008, 07:36 PM
acetone will EAT your tubing. :rofl:

You need to replace the tubing.

Or you can try scrubbing bubbles.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod3879178&CATID=100783&skuid=sku3878027&V=G&ec=frgl_543515&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3878027

That works really good on tubing, and its 1/2ID Friendly!!

@CD, nah CD i tried acetone. It makes the tubing go white, cuz it eats the interior. Its really nasty stuff on plastic rubber, and vinyl.

Scrubbing bubbles is your best shot. Besides replacing the tubing.

I love those so much! They cleaned my tubes shine like new!:up:

Waterlogged
07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
And no its not recomended inside your radiator.

...or acrylic anything.

Nephilim
10-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Bleach is fine in most tygon derivatives, and works very quickly on plasticiser stained tubing (as well as killing ANY living organisms trapped in there). Most of my tubes glistened after about 5 mins, the rest getting a soak overnight (not cos they needed it but because it was bedtime for me) :)

BlueAqua
10-01-2008, 04:46 AM
http://www.annotatedmst.com/episodes/dangerdiabolik/scrubbing2.jpg:rofl:

Use it. :)

Nephilim
10-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Is that a logo for scrubbing bubbles? The stuff isn't readily available in AU, hence my recommending a viable solution that most people have in their laundry.

CyberDruid
10-01-2008, 05:33 AM
I thought the stain was on the outside...have you tried a paper towel saturated with vinegar?

But now I know about scrubbing bubbles...:D

NaeKuh
10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Bleach is fine in most tygon derivatives, and works very quickly on plasticiser stained tubing (as well as killing ANY living organisms trapped in there). Most of my tubes glistened after about 5 mins, the rest getting a soak overnight (not cos they needed it but because it was bedtime for me) :)

yeah but it also stains your tubing yellow.

:rofl:

nice way to resurrect the tread also. :rofl: