PDA

View Full Version : PC cutting off after 3-4 seconds...

Mr. HT
07-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Ok. So I just installed some new fans and an IFX-14 heatsink. I hooked everything up and turned it on and everything looked fine. After about 3-4 seconds, everything shut down. It then waits around 2-3 seconds and trys again and shuts down again, in a cycle. There is no post on the monitor.

Everything worked fine before the upgrades...

I have no clue what is wrong...

Any ideas?

Andy_007
07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Make sure that you have a fan plugged into the CPU fan connector on the motherboard, if you unplugged the 4/8 pin motherboard power plug check that you plugged it back in.

Mr. HT
07-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I do have both of these. The CPU fan is a Scythe Ultra Kaze so it is only a 3 pin. I don't see how this would affect it. I will go double check these connections.

Anything else?

Mr. HT
07-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah those connections are confirmed. Same result...

Keep the opinions coming, I really want to get this fixed...

Andy_007
07-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Maybe try re-installing your ram, its worked for me before, if that doesnt work try re-installing your video card.

Mr. HT
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah will do. I thought it may be a RAM thing but I never uninstalled it for the upgrades and it worked before. This makes me think that it is not the problem... but it could be. The video card could still be the issue... I really hope that if it is it is just a seating issue and not a graphics card malfunction thing...

Mr. HT
07-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I reset the RAM and the graphics card. Same problem. I'm lost...

Any ideas?

Andy_007
07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Im lost aswell, maybe take off the cooler and reset the CPU and just put the stock cooler on to test .

i found nemo
07-12-2008, 10:01 PM
too much pressure? ... is it lidless? maybe cap on the cpu board is getting touched.. ?

Mr. HT
07-12-2008, 10:06 PM
What do you mean by this?

Are you talking about the heatsink?

I tightened it down as much as the spring screws would allow but this is what the Thermalright instructions said to do...

What do you mean by a cap? (...I assume a capacitor...)
If this is what you mean, this is also possible. The mounting bracket for the backplate of the IFX-14 goes right over a set of capacitors. It could be resting against them but I don't know how to fix this?

What do you recommend?

Jamesrt2004
07-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Backplate, if its on the cap, would probably be shorting them i guess :/

Mr. HT
07-13-2008, 01:48 PM
The backplate has these little gel-like buffers on it. I don't know much about this so I'm kind of lost here...

What do I need to do to fix it? Before I dismantel everything, I'm going to do a bare boot and see if this solves anything...

Entity_Razer
07-13-2008, 02:02 PM
The mounting bracket for the backplate of the IFX-14 goes right over a set of capacitors. It could be resting against them but I don't know how to fix this?

What do you recommend?

Rubber washers around everything, the gell thing might also be against it, you can also just like get a piece of rubber or silicon and wedge in between the heatspreader and the mobo

Mr. HT
07-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Problem solved. I had plugged my memory card reader mobo connection into the wrong spot...not sure why I did that.

New thing, Vista is not showing up...

It wants me to reinstall it but I figured that since it should already be on the hard drive that this would not be neccessary...

Should I reinstall it or does this mean that I don't have the Velociraptor hooked up right?

For a little preview, I entered the BIOS and let it sit for about 20 min. and the CPU fluctuated between 15-16 C. Before the upgrades, after 20 min. in the BIOS, the CPU was sitting at 39 C. I take this as a pretty good improvement...

Thanks for all the help so far, it's just like me to make a stupid, minor mistake and make everyone here think so hard...

Anyway, after I get this Vista thing sorted out I will be ready to upload some pics of the upgrades, rebuild, and new and improved PC, but, you will have to wait a week, because I will be out of town...

Thanks for the help and I would love to hear some opinions on the VISTA issue ASAP because I will be able to fix that before I go...

Thanks,

HT

i found nemo
07-13-2008, 03:27 PM
maybe it got corrupted when you plugged ur card reader in the wrong spot ( wild guess, very wild ) ummmm. ... all your ram settings i'm assuming are the same .... i would advise to repair the install. don't re-install, put the disc in, let it load up 'n all that. and you should come to an option of repairing the install or completely re-installing.

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2008, 12:50 AM
do u have a younger brother?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194762

:rofl:

Mk
07-14-2008, 08:22 PM
looks like your PSU cant handle all that what kinda of PSU you using?

strange|ife
07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
you said you installed new fans? are they panaflo/rexus? are the fans higher Amperage then the older ones. Did you plug a high flow into the mobo header for cpu? you might want to try running it to a 4-pin molex instead.

what psu do you have? From you sig since you did not list the psu we must assume it is the "case" psu of questionable quality.

try remounting the heatsink.

Mr. HT
07-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Everything is good. Everything is running well now that the card reader is set up right. The problem with Vista was that the Velociraptor drive was not plugged into the #1 SATA slot so it wasn't booting first. I rearranged the cords and Vista booted right up. I'll run some tests and post results and pictures tonight.

Mr. HT
07-19-2008, 08:52 AM
It's a Coolermaster 650W PSU, by the way.