PDA

View Full Version : Foxconn BlackOps Shared BIOS settings

jonbass
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, if it is not then please remove this thread.

I have read a couple of threads about users that are having a hard time finding the right settings for memory’s and CPU etc on the Black Ops, so I have decided to share some of the settings that have worked for me and hopefully that can help someone else to get started. Also, do you have any other suggestions than mine for setting up the Black ops, or mayby settings for other hardware than used here, then please post.

This Monday I received my new pair of Cellshock 1866 Blue DDR3 memory’s that I have bought for a comparison that I am doing, when they arrived I started pretty much right away to test them, so this week I have spended many hours in front of the computer trying to learn how these stick and motherboard works together. That means that I have also tried many different setting, timings etc on the Black Ops. And it can be a bit tricky to set up at first, but when you have found the right settings Black Ops rocks. Also, I must say that the memory’s I have used also rock quite a bit.

First I want to write what many other have written, there are no universal settings to get 550 Mhz FSB with dual cores or 450Mhz FSB with quad, or get the memory’s to run at 1800Mhz. Every user has to do their share of tweaking to get the best out of their hardware. Also, if we use the exact same hardware it quite possible that we need different settings to get it to work, and the results may also vary. So Instead of writing down the best possible settings that I have been able to use, I will share settings that are more relaxed and then you can use them as a reference to get started.

This is the system I have used for this:

CPU Quad: ............Intel QX9650 Extreme
CPU Dual: .............Intel E8400
Memory kit 1: .......2GB CellShock DDR3 Micron PC3-15000 D9JNL
Memory kit 2: .......Super Talent ProjectX 1800 D9GTR
Motherboard:....... Foxconn Black Ops // BIOS G27 - G28

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/Jonbass_121/IMG_8912.jpg

SETTINGS:

EDIT: I want to point out that the settings that i suggest isnt going to get you straight to 550Mhz FSB or 1000Mhz ram speeds, this is just settings i have found worked good on the hardware i used. The settings i suggest hopefully will get you started, and mayby can help users that just have bought this board and need some reference. Also, there are plenty of room left for tweaking.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/Jonbass_121/quantum-bios.png

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/Jonbass_121/voltage-all.png

I havent tested the memory timings finished yet, there are some work left to do, when i have tried some more i will update settings. Also, on the D9GTR memorys i havent done the serious testing that have been done on my D9JNL. But i will hopefully do that in the begining of next week, i will update when that is finished.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/Jonbass_121/settings-ddr.png

Here are some results with my Cellshock memorys on the Black Ops, to achive this i have started with the settings above and tweaked. This is with approx 1.955.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/Jonbass_121/996_ls.jpg¨

rdrash
07-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Jonbass,

Thank you for the information this is very useful. Nicely done, very professional. :up:

FuriousSalesman
07-12-2008, 06:46 PM
The CPU-Z screen shots show 3840 mb worth of ram, yet your intro only lists 2gb.

jonbass
07-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Thanks very much for the comments :), i hope that this can help someone getting started.

And yes, i only use 2048MB of rams, dont know why but CPU-Z shows the wrong value, if you belive the CPU-Z screen then i would have 3840MB of ram. Thath would mean that i used 3x1024 stick and one 512 + 256MB, or one 2048+1024 + 512+ 256 etc

The screen a couple of post down shows the actuall value in memset.

tripgood
07-13-2008, 06:45 AM
jonbass,
That's a very nice report and result. I am curious to know how you achieved 13K MB/s memory read speed in your test. I am using the same ram, bios settings, multi etc. as you and I can barley hit 12K. I am using the white memory slots, can that make a difference?
This is my first post here and your memory read speed has compelled me to ask how you achieved such a result with a dual core @4.5 Ghz and 500 fsb. More detail would be greatly appreciated.

HDCHOPPER
07-13-2008, 07:00 AM
very good post !
those settings for your E8400 are just about the same for me on my MARS
short of GTL settings the MARS has none

jonbass
07-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi!

Do you want to know the settings i use?
Like i said before, my settings may not work for your pair of stick, but i will absolutely give you them and hopefully that can help you.
First off i would recommend disabling everything that you don’t use, Lan2, IEEE1394 etc.

Cas Latency Time (tCL)……………...8
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)…….. 8
RAS# Precharge (tRP)……………….. 8
Precharge Delay (tRAS)…………….. 21
Row Refresh Cycle (tRFC)………….. 60
Performance Level………………………. 7
Write to Precharge (tWR)………….. 22
Write to Read Delay (tWTR)…………17
Act to Act Delay (tRRD)…………………6
Read to Precharge (tRTP)…………….. 7
All Precharge to Refresh………………. Auto
Refresh Period Ratio ……………………..1x
Refresh Period (tREF)………………….. .Auto
Command Per Clock ………………………1T

Rest of the memory settings on auto, now i did tweak some of the timings with memset in windows but this is the BIOS settings that i used. that toke my memory’s to 996 MHz (1992 MHz 1T), The FSB was 498Mhz, CPU 4482Mhz. I believe that is it.

If you have any more question please dont hesitate to ask.

EDIT:

Oh, i forgot to say welcome to Xtremesystems :)

tripgood
07-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
My settings in bios are actually a little tighter.
For instance: tras=20
twr=18
twtr=17 (same)
trrd=5
trtp=5
everything else is the same and yes I disable all non-essential functions. FSB is 500Mhz and with 9x multi=4.5ghz cpu clock but still 12K memory read speed. Which settings in Memset did you tweak? Are you using the blue or white slots? I wouldn't think it possible to get that much perforemance differece between ram sets with the same settings. I have a second set of the blue Cell Shocks in a P5e3 prem. and I will try switching them.:up:

jonbass
07-13-2008, 08:45 AM
What are your ram speeds?
Do you use 1T or 2T?
What BIOS?

The settings tweaked in memset wont give you that big of a boost, also i use the blue slots but i dont think that will do any big diffrents for your result.

If your rams are running in 2000Mhz you should get higher read results i belive, i can not answer why your results is lower than mine with the same settings as me.
Do you have a screen of memset that you can show, or a picthure of BIOS settings. Then it may be easier to figure out why your results dont match mine with the same settings.

This is a bit tighther and with 961Mhz RAM speeds, almost 13000 read. If you have the possibility, try to run with my settings somewhere around 900-950Mhz and see what read you get.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/Jonbass_121/961_ls-2.jpg

tripgood
07-13-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm at 1000 Mhz, 1t, G28 bios, perforemance level 7. The screen shot of memset shows you are using a pl of 6 @ 7-7-7 timings running at 961 Mhz. I didn't think the Cell Shocks were capable of that! Are those the tweaks you made in memset?

jonbass
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
That is strange, I can’t say why it is so, i need some more info about your settings, maybe you can post or write down your BIOS settings.
Or if you could give me a picture of BIOS settings then it would be easier to help you.

There is no problem for me running performance level 6 with 7-7-7-timings, but when running cas 8 then i need L7. And no, these aren’t the tweaked settings in memset for 996Mhz, for that i needed cas 8 with 1.95v, i posted the ones above so that you could try the same setting around 900Mhz and run a Everest read and then post it here with memset etc. But i believe that i used the same settings as above but with cas 8 and Level 7 for the results you are asking about.

For more info about setting with Cellshock memory’s and L6 etc, you can check this out.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184869&highlight=everest

Also this thread, now i belive this is with other memory’s than the ones we use, but maybe the screens from these two can help you better than i can.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163904&highlight=everest

If you could either write down the settings you are using or take a picture of them, voltage, timings etc then we can maybe figure out why our results differ so much.
The time here in Sweden are very late so i will wait until tomorrow before i do any tests, but if i can have your settings then i can try them and see if my result changes anything.
I can also take pictures of my BIOS settings if you want, then maybe that can better help you see if our settings are different in any way.

Also, if you can share your settings that can maybe help someone else to set up their system, thanks.

EDIT: I also have to say that my english arent that great always, so if there i something that isn´t understandable then please tell me.

tripgood
07-13-2008, 03:08 PM
jonbass,
Your English is fine and thanks for your help. Here is a listing that I am satisfied with but I have not been able to reach the memory read numbers you have posted and it's bugging me.
Bios G28 E8500 500 fsb 8.5 multi Cell Shock blue kit 2x1Gb in the white slots
Vista 32bit cpu and NB on water 1:4 cpu333

CPU feature-everything disabled except core multi-processing
ECC-disabled
Dram Timing-Manual
tCL-8T
tRED-8T
tRP-8T
tRAS-18T
tRFC-60T
PL-L7
tWR-18T
tWTR-17T
tRRD-5T
tRTP-5T
All prechg to refresh-Auto
Refresh Period Ratio-X1
tREF-Auto
Command Per Clock-1T
everything else-Auto

Voltages
CPU Voltage Multi-X1.000
CPU-1.500
CPU Vdroop-Enabled
CPU PLL-1.584
CPU VTT-1.425
CPU GTL's-All Default
NB Voltage-1.594
NB GTL-Default
SB Voltage-1.538
Dram Voltage-1.955
Everything else-Default

PCIx clock-110MHz
PCI clock-33.6
Auto detect and spread spectrum-Disabled
OC Recovery-Enabled:up:

jonbass
07-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Thank you very much for your setting :)

I can´t figure out why your results are lower than mine, also, i am really tired and it is late here in sweden so i wont be able to answer anymore until tommorow. But the only diffrence in our settings that i can see right now with my tired eyes is your CPU multipler, try to disable it and run multipler straight 9, if your CPU cant manage 4500Mhz then just try runing it wherever it is stable and see if that makes any diffrence.

I will continue my memory comparison tomorrow morning and will then test your settings and see how my result turns up, I hope that sounds OK. Keep trying.

tripgood
07-13-2008, 03:39 PM
OK. I ran 9x with a little more cpu voltage earlier today and that's when I just touched 12,000 for the memory read speed with the same settings. Very curious. I will try the blue slots tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

saaya
07-14-2008, 01:23 AM
very very nice thread jonbass! :toast:
tripgood, welcome to XtremeSystems :)

and are you guys using the same version of everest?
there are quite some differences in the bandwidth scores with different versions!
and try more vmch... there are some weird situations with p35/x38/x48 where a certain speed is stable... but the perf is lower than what it should be, and as son as you increase the nb voltage slightly the perf is back to where it should be. this happened a lot with early p35 and x38 boards... i havent heard of this again since then, but give it a try, maybe it helps :D

tripgood
07-14-2008, 02:03 AM
I thought about the Everest version last night. I am using v4.50.1330. I'll try more NB voltage tonight.

tripgood
07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I think Saaya is correct about the Everest versions reporting different speeds. As I recall, the version used by jonbass, 3.5.761 will not work with Vista. I just wonder if my memory read speeds are 1000 points less because of Vista or the Everest version being used by jonbass. This screenshot shows the memory read benchmark @4.5GHz and our settings and components are virtually the same. I am betting that this is another Vista penalty we have to pay if we want crossfirex.:rolleyes:

I made a couple of changes from the Memset posting and they had no effect on the read score. I changed tRAS-18T, tRRD-1, and tRTP-5. I tried upping the NB voltage to 1.673 and there was no change with any of these.:yepp:

jonbass
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry i have taken me some time to answer today, i didn’t get the time this morning to test your settings etc. But i will do that later tonight. And i will then test with another Everest version and see if that changes my results.
I have Win XP installed right now for a review so i can’t test Vista, yet.

I will post the result later tonight or tomorrow, i hope that sound good.

tripgood
07-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds very good!
:up:

HDCHOPPER
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
if it's any help ( my board is MARS) but my blue slots work better

jonbass
07-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I have tried another newer version of everest and thath gaved me around 12350 MB/s with 1000Mhz ram and same settings as you, so it´s like Saaya says, it matters what version you use.
I never thought of that, but from now on i will offcourse use the newer version of Everest when posting results.

I will also try the white slots tommorow if i get a chance and see if that makes any diffrence.

Also, i will assemble my QX9650 tommorow for more quad FSB testing, hopefully i can update the first post with some new findings.

tripgood
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
That sounds very good. I tried the white slots with my ram but the board would not boot right away. I decided to stick with the blue. I have found that any hardware configuration changes with Vista can cause problems.

Good luck with your qx9650. My p5e3 premium with the same proc will do 450fsb at PL of 6 using Corsair ram. It is difficult to get a quad much higher than 460-465 but it can be done.:yepp:

saaya
07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
everst versions matter and windows vista or xp also has an influence, but i thought vista would give higher scores... but im not sure...
in multi threadded scenarios vista should be faster... but ive seen quite some cases where its not... well, for the average user i guess it doesnt mantter if your pc is 5% slower or 10% slower as long as it looks good :D but i like xp :P

javadshahvand
07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place to post

guide foxconn bios update?

saaya
07-14-2008, 11:26 PM
hi javadshahvand, are you looking for this?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191813

sashin
07-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Also, i will assemble my QX9650 tommorow for more quad FSB testing, hopefully i can update the first post with some new findings.

That would be great. I have tried the loser timings and settings as suggested to get my quad core overclocking stable BUT the highest i can get this memory (Cellshock Blue kit) is 425 FSB with G28 with multi 9.5 Anything higher....believe me i have tried all the timing and voltage settings as suggested in the start of this thread BUT i just cannot get my computer to boot....Anyone else here with quad core and Cellshock with higher than 425 FSB with this mobo?

tripgood
07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Here's a couple of mem timing tweaks using my settings above. I still think there is more head room in the sub timings. I can't complain about this board at all. I like 500fsb and memory throughput. Very tempted to ditch Vista and re-load xp though!

sashin
07-19-2008, 07:02 AM
I haveto retract my previous statemet.............i cannot run my system stable at 425 or 421 for that matter. I tried to run Super Pi 32M or Prime 95 and the whole system just stops responding. I hae tried to leave as many setting in auto as possible except the memory timings....3DMark 06 and Vantage are stable...BUT nothing else. Will post my BIOS settings later

jonbass
07-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi!

I am very happy to see so many people posting in this thread, also i am glad to see you are sharing your settings and results :).

I must also say that i am very very sorry that i havent been around posting new results and settings as i promised, also i havenīt answer you guys that asked about settings, and i am so sorry for that. I have been really busy this week, i got some bad news and i have been trying to sort these things out.

I hope that i will get the time tommorow to continue this thread, i will try helping the ones that had problems with stability etc. I hope that sounds OK.

And once again, i am very sorry for the delay.

tripgood
07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
No worries mate!
Looking forward to your qx9650 results with this mobo. The blackOps is my third x48 and this is the first one i ran with a dual core. Quads require much more tweaking for a decent fsb. My p5e3 premium and qx9650 will do 450-455fsb with corsair ram but stability goes away with anything higher. Good Luck!:yepp:

saaya
07-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I haveto retract my previous statemet.............i cannot run my system stable at 425 or 421 for that matter. I tried to run Super Pi 32M or Prime 95 and the whole system just stops responding. I hae tried to leave as many setting in auto as possible except the memory timings....3DMark 06 and Vantage are stable...BUT nothing else. Will post my BIOS settings later

06 and games run fine but prime and pi fail?
thats odd... sounds more like a cpu problem then?
whats the max fsb you can get with a 6x cpu multiplier and low memory divider?

no worries jonbass! :D
you helped a big deal, just take your time, you dont have to spend a few hours here every day trying to help people, unless of course you want foxconn to hire you or something :lol:

Xello
07-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi guys. I'm currently going through the settings on this board trying to get the best 24/7 prime stable OC i can, i have a QX9650 with 2x2gb of corsair XMS3 1600 9-9-9-24 1.8v (stock settings) memory.

I spent all day yesterday cranking the fsb up one mhz at a time, with 1T memory @ 7-7-7-14 (2.15v) and 9.5x multi, and i managed to get to 431mhz before windows started crashing on loading. This gave me a personal best of 11.5s~ on superpi 1m, and was actually game stable, but what a bummer when i tried a prime run and 1 or more cores dropped out after a minute :D

So today i've tried lowering the fsb back down (i can actually get a 24/7 stable OC of 4.4ghz from a 11x multi on 400fsb, but i wanted to see if i could drop the multi and increase the memory a bit [1:4 cpu333]) and to my dismay i couldn't get any kind of decent fsb overclock, even when i dropped to 420mhz. At that point i decided the memory settings may not be my problem, so i started looking at GTL values on the cpu as i read these can be tweaked to provide stability if certain cores are dropping out during prime. Now i have no idea what these actually do, i'm just going by other people's advice, and i've been told that if gtlref 1 is 5 steps lower than gtlref 0, stability increases. That tallies with the anandtech preview article (though they were testing a c2d) where they used -1 and -6. I figured i'd start there, so i set -1,-6,-1,-1. That got me stable for a little longer, so i was glad that i might be on the right track. Other cores have started dropping out after 10 or 20 minutes now, so i'm just doing a plus or minus step here or there on whatever core is needing it, and hopefully i'll land on a stable setting... Not too proficient i know but i'm pretty new at this. I figure once i do land on a stable GTL setting i can perhaps try to increase the fsb again and see what happens.

One thing is for sure so far, when i was rock stable @ 4.4ghz from 11x multi on 400fsb / 1600mhz memory ALL of my gtl values were at default/auto. So thus far i can conclude that increasing the FSB on a quad core will require GTL tweaking!

My other bios settings right now:

cpu - 1.41v target, 1.39v actual
cpu PLL - 1.5v~
vpu VTT - 1.5v~
NB - 1.67v
NB GTL - +2
SB - 1.5v

dram - 2.15v
dram pull up / pull down / ref all Auto, i'd appreciate someone explaining what these do and what i might do to increase OC'ability / stability.

memory timings currently all auto except 7-7-7-21 2T

Thanks!

jonbass
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi!

Now i have assmebled my QX9650 in the Black Ops motherboard, so far i have done some besic testing, will try to tweak my settings more when i get the time.

First of, it seems like the G28 BIOS is a bit harder to achive high FSB with, or it have been so for me atleast. It may be so that i have to try some more to figure out the right settings, i will offcourse keep you guys updated. So far i have managed to run 455 Mhz FSB, not 24/7 stable, but like i said, i havent had a chance to tweak my settings yet. I hope and belive that 460+ should work with some more tweaking. Also, right now we have really warm here in sweden, so that makes my results suffer a bit.

I will continue my tests tonight and hopefully be able to get the CPU/ board higher, my results and settings will be posted here tomorrow .

Xello
Thank you for your settings and results :), it looks great.

saaya
Thank you, i am very glad to hear that :)

tripgood
Thank you, my QX9650 results are on their way now after some delays.
So far the Black Ops workes pretty good with my quad CPU, i still have a bit more tweaking to do if i want to get higher FSB than 455Mhz with G28.
Results etc tomorrow .

sashin
I will post settings that have worked for me to get high FSB with quad tomorrow.

But when finding the max FSB i would suggest you lower your multipler to mayby 8x or 9x, also, try tweaking your NB, GTL ref and VTT voltage. Be carefull because high voltage may kill your hardware. Also, make sure your ram settings and ram divider are optimized.

A question, do you set FSB in BIOS ?
It can help using Aegis Panel and try your overclock in windows first.

But like i said, settings that workes for me will be posted tomorrow.

Xello
07-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Well i've not had much luck with the gtl's, i've tried many different settings at both negative and positive values and the longest prime run i've had is 20 mins, that's with 420 fsb with 9 multi and 8-8-8-24 2T.

I've dropped back down to 415 fsb, though if i go much lower i'm not sure i won't be better off at 400 and 11x multi like i had before, at least i could tighten to cas 7/6 at that setting.

Look forward to seeing your results jonbass.

sashin
07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi!

Now i have assmebled my QX9650 in the Black Ops motherboard, so far i have done some besic testing, will try to tweak my settings more when i get the time.

First of, it seems like the G28 BIOS is a bit harder to achive high FSB with, or it have been so for me atleast. It may be so that i have to try some more to figure out the right settings, i will offcourse keep you guys updated. So far i have managed to run 455 Mhz FSB, not 24/7 stable, but like i said, i havent had a chance to tweak my settings yet. I hope and belive that 460+ should work with some more tweaking. Also, right now we have really warm here in sweden, so that makes my results suffer a bit.

I will continue my tests tonight and hopefully be able to get the CPU/ board higher, my results and settings will be posted here tomorrow .

sashin
I will post settings that have worked for me to get high FSB with quad tomorrow.

But when finding the max FSB i would suggest you lower your multipler to mayby 8x or 9x, also, try tweaking your NB, GTL ref and VTT voltage. Be carefull because high voltage may kill your hardware. Also, make sure your ram settings and ram divider are optimized.

A question, do you set FSB in BIOS ?
It can help using Aegis Panel and try your overclock in windows first.

But like i said, settings that workes for me will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks jonbass...i am able to get the system stable at 420 FSB with 9.5 multi. NB and SB Voltage is 1.5 and so is VTT voltage. CPU voltage is 1.46 in BIOS. Memory timings are 7-7-7-18 1T at performance level 6. CPU vs Memory speed 1:4 CPU 333. Control, command and clock skew are set at -1 for DRAM slots 2 and 4 as i am using the white ram slots. Memory voltage is 1.812 in BIOS. All other memory settings are left on auto. I am water cooling my cpu and NB is standard fan cooling only and when i say stable...i can run 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark 06, Super Pi, Custom PC 2007 Benchmarks, Everest Lavasys Benchmarks. All of these benchmarks were run with internet connection and normal antivirus software monitoring running in the background and Vista Aero display functions were NOT disabled.I cannot run Prime 95 stable though...not even for 1 minute,,,i get BSOD. I overclock using BIOS only and use the Aegis panel on for monitoring temps. At max loads my cpu temp reads 65 degrees celcius..!!
Looking forward to getting some of your settings and trying them on my system. I was going to phase change my setup this weekend BUT as i was manipulating my Mach 2 GT.. i started hearing a hissing sound and looks like i have gas leak of my r404a refrigerant....so unable to test at higher settings.
My target is running 4.80 with phase change....if possible..!!

sashin
07-25-2008, 06:02 AM
One other info jonbass...what are your hardware signature? I have also left all the GTL voltages at referance values.

Xello
07-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey Sash, the Aegis panel on my system gives temp values +10, as does HWmon, have you tried Realtemp?

sashin
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey Sash, the Aegis panel on my system gives temp values +10, as does HWmon, have you tried Realtemp?

Yep Realtemp it gives anywhere between 8-12 degrees lower than Aegis panel. Using Everest....while running the first 1 minute of Prime 95 before getting BSOD, i have seen temps of individual cores (usually core 2 or 3) going up to 90 degrees celcius !!

Xello
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Yep Realtemp it gives anywhere between 8-12 degrees lower than Aegis panel. Using Everest....while running the first 1 minute of Prime 95 before getting BSOD, i have seen temps of individual cores (usually core 2 or 3) going up to 90 degrees celcius !!

I'd go with Realtemp, it's spot on for me, with 32c idle and 47-56c max load during prime, during the rather hot weather we've been having even here in scotland.

Little update on my status, i went into the bios and wrote down all my settings, sorry i don't have Excel to to a proper table.

This is my original setting before i started to play around with upping the fsb above 400, it is 24hr prime stable:

CPU multi 11x (4.4ghz)

+.5 Disabled

FSB 400

Ratio 1:4 cpu333

Memory clock 1600mhz

CPU Voltage multi 1x

CPU target voltage 1.41254v

CPU actual voltage 1.3994v

Vdroop on

CPU PLL 1.508861v

VTT 1.35v

NB voltage 1.5v

NB GTL +2 step

DRAM voltage 2.15v

Dram pull up auto

DRAM pull down auto

DRAM Ref voltage +2

Timings 7-7-7-18 2T, refresh period ratio x1, all others auto.

My SuperPi 1m at those settings is 13.088s, and my everest scores are read 9164 write 8521 copy 8635 latency 59.6.

My goal with tweaking the FSB is to get as good a stable overclock as possible, using those scores as a comparison. I can go stable with 450fsb however i dropped the multi to 7x to do so, but that puts me at 3.15ghz and i don't really want to stay that low when i know the cpu can go so much higher. I stopped messing with the GTL values for now until i actually know what to do with them, i was basically just wasting my time there i think.

My current attempt is so far 30 mins prime stable, using same settings above with the following changes:

cpu multi 8.5x (3.7ghz)

FSB 440 (mem 1760mhz)

VTT 1.425v

NB voltage 1.673v

Timings 9-9-9-24 2T (stock settings), i decided to put at stock timings while i found a decent fsb then perhaps attempt to tighten later.

P.S am i the only one around here not using cellshock rams :D

jonbass
07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi!

I am back, but i had a really long day so i will not write that much just post settings and results, and then i will update tommorow with more info regarding settings etc.

This is the system used right now.

Intel QX9650
Foxconn Black Ops // BIOS G28 (results posted now)
Cellshock Blue 1866
Asus 9800GX2
Silverstone Olympia 1000W
WD Raptor 36GB-74GB.

Cooling
Big typhoon on the CPU, rest of the system stock cooling.

FSB 455,

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/Jonbass_121/FSB-455.jpg

This is the settings used for the 455Mhz FSB result, i will update the first post when i get the time with more suggested settings for quad, but for now i write them here.

CPU Clock Ratio:..........................8x
CPU Clock (FSB): ........................455Mhz
CPU Clock vs Memory Speed:.......1:4 333
System Memory Speed:...............1820Mhz
CPU Clock skew Control:..............Auto
CPU Clock Amplitude Ctrl:............800
PCI Express Clock: .....................101Mhz
Spread Spectrum:...................... Disable
Over Clock Recovery:..................Enable

Limit CPUID MaxVal:...................Disable
C1E Function:............................Disable
Execute Disable Bit:...................Disable
Vrtualization Technology:...........Disable
Frequency Unlimit:.....................Enable
Core Multi-Processing:................Enable
Cold Bug Boot Fix:......................Disable

CPU Voltage Multiplier:................1x
CPU Voltage Setting:...................1.45v
CPU Vdroop Compensation:..........Enable

CPU PLL Voltage Setting:.............1.508
Cpu VTT Voltage Setting:.............1.45
Cpu GTL Ref 0. Voltage:...............+10
Cpu GTL Ref 1. Voltage:...............+5
Cpu GTL Ref 2. Voltage:...............+10
Cpu GTL Ref 3. Voltage:...............+10
NB Voltage Setting: ...................1.55-1.6
NB GTL Ref Voltage: ...................Auto
SB Voltage Setting:....................1.575

DRAM Voltage Setting:................1.916
DRAM Pull-Up Voltage:................Auto
DRAM Pull-Down Voltage:............Auto
DRAM Ref Voltage:.......................Auto

Something i have noticed is that the voltage on some of the settings are really picky, you have to find the exact right voltage for high FSB.
Also, i could reach 440 Mhz FSB without the GTL ref settings tweaked, i used Auto. So i think i can get higher FSB if tweaking GTL ref a bit more.

I will post my memory settings tommorow, and like i said earlier, i will update the first post with more suggested settings for quad overclocking soon.
Now i have to get some sleep.

EDIT:

sashin and Xello

Xello:

First of all, are you using the Blue 1866Mhz Cellshock? D9JNL?
If so, try lovering your Dram voltage, these memorys doesnt like high voltage, mine gives me error with evrything above 2.05v. The best voltage for me have been 1.916-1.95 on Black Ops. Also, when trying to get high FSB, use 8-8-8-21, and performance level on 7-9.

To get high FSB NB voltage gives a great boost, but be very careful, high voltage may kill hardware. I have used around 1.5-1.6, now i also have very good temp on the NB. lower your multipler to 8x or 7x, try NB voltage 1.55-1.6v, make sure you have sufficent cooling for this. Also, a bit higher VTT, be very carefull with this setting. You dont have to raise it if you dont feel comfortable with it.
Then use Auto on al GTL ref settings, NB GTL, Dram etc, also Auto on Dram pull up etc. The only voltage raised is the standard ones.
Then try to raise FSB, first boot with 400Mhz and raise in windows with set FSB or aegis panel, when it stops, go into BIOS and raise to the last setting that worked. When you cant get higher, then try tweaking GTL ref settings.

I will continue tommorow with more suggestions that may help you.

Sashin, i will try to help you tommorow, it very late here in Sweden and i really have to get some sleep.

tripgood
07-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank you for your settings jonbass :clap:. I have a decent qx9650 chip on my p5e3prem mobo and 450 fsb has been the sweet spot for me. I have another qx9650 that is not as good and I am reluctant to use it on my blackops. My question is...can you run the d9jnl's at 7 latency @450-455fsb? That should allow you to use a PL of 6 which will give much better performance. I am somewhat discouraged with 45nm quad core performance on x48 mobo's. The BlackOps and other high end x48 boards really shine with 45nm dual cores and that is where I get the best memory performance.

It would be wonderful to post and bench a quad @500fsb+ and low PL but I don't think that will work on x48.
Cheers!

Xello
07-26-2008, 04:08 AM
:EDIT: i've continued this in the overclocking guide thread :EDIT:

Xello:

First of all, are you using the Blue 1866Mhz Cellshock? D9JNL?

Actually i'm on a 2x2gb Corsair XMS3 DHX 1600 kit, (TW3X4G1600C9DHXNV). I've read reviews where people are pumping 2.2-2.3v into them, but i didn't quite want to go that high. They're taking 2.15v no problem, and they're getting decent cooling from the DHX heat spreaders and being in a fairly cool zone of the TJ07 case right below the 2 top outtake fans.

I made a really big mistake though, at the settings where i thought i was 4.4ghz stable i had no idea about EIST and how to turn it off, i had it on 'disabled' in the bios, but infact you need to set it to 'native' in the bios and turn the power saving mode off in Windows. With that set properly, i can't even boot into windows @ 4.4ghz :D Nor am i even stable at 400fsb 10x = 4ghz, which i'd rather have as a minimum, but cores are dropping after 20-30 mins so i will go back to GTL tweaking, starting at +10, +5, +10, +10, and i will record in a text file each and every value i tweak and what happens in prime when i do it.

My NB temp maxes at 45 degrees with 1.67v, though i've taken that back down to 1.5v while i'm still at 400fsb and trying to get to 4ghz through the multi.

:EDIT:

Here are my results so far today, i started off with the same settings as you jonbass

+10, +5, +10, +10 - core 4 failed in 19 mins

+10, +5, +10, +5 - core 4 failed in 32 mins

+10, +5, +10, +4 - core 4 failed in 5 mins

+10, +5, +10, +6 - core 4 failed in 18 mins, core 1 failed in 35 mins

+9, +5, +10, +7 - core 4 failed in 30 mins, core 1 45 min+ stable

+9, +5, +10, +3 - core 4 failed in 17 mins

As you can see up til now i've bascially just been trying random up/down adjustments on whatever core was failing, mostly core 4.

Then I found a post from LardArse about the GTL's - according to him each step in the bios adds .0005 to the default value of 0.66x, so for example at VTT 1.35v and default GTLref my gtl value is [1.35 x 0.66] 0.891v, and +1 step would be [1.35 x 0.6605] 0.891675v, +2 step would be [1.35 x 0.661] 0.89235v etc. Please someone correct me if this is wrong.

Now after digging through the 790i Data Corruption thread and finding a post from "5010" he mentions this:

".67x is 00mv(standard) in the 790iU Bios

65nm Quads like it abit higher; .68x - .70x

Duals + Yorkies like it lower; .66x - .63x or even less (as low as .58x according to LardArse)"

So if 0.66x is standard in the blackops bios, i think i can start using my calculator to work out where i should be. Assuming the above is correct, the GTL settings for 45nm cpu's on the blackops should actually all be negative (if not default) - so far i've been testing positive values so i hope that explains why i've been unable to achieve stability. (Please note that i am indeed going for 100% 24/7 prime stability here)

Also, in the blackops bios the maximum adjustment for GTL is +31 and -31, that gives leeway of 0.0155x either way. Thing is that puts the max figure at 0.6755x, and the lowest at 0.6445x - if 65nm quads need .68 - .70 that's a bit of a problem for this board, right? I hope my 45nm quad doesn't need lower than 0.6445x..

:EDIT: i've continued this in the overclocking guide thread :EDIT:

jonbass
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I still haven’t had the time to update the first post with more quad settings, I have been very busy finishing up my Foxconn Black Ops review for a Swedish forum. And yesterday I finally managed to complete it . So now I will hopefully have the time to sit down and make an update on the first post as I promised.

Thank you very much for the info, I will read about your progress Xello in the overclocking thread.

This board is a bit tricky, for me it has taken very many hours to figure out the best settings for my hardware. Also, it may be so that there are better settings than the ones that I have found so far, but I am still trying to get higher and finding new values that work.

The one thing that always have worked for me when it comes to stability with FSB is higher NB voltage, especially when running quad core the NB volt can be really helpful. To get 455 MHz FSB I had to use somewhere between 1.55-1.6 for bench stability.
As for 2 x 2gb Corsair XMS3 DHX 1600 kit, I have no experience with these sticks. Do you know what chips your kit has? The Cellshock memory’s that I mentioned have D9JNL chips and these doesn’t like high voltage at al. I have to stay under 2.05-2.1 or else I only get instability. But if you have D9GTL then high voltage works better.

About EIST and other settings that can improve and affect oveclocking / stability, i am thinking about writing down more of the settings in BIOS like CPU Features etc that I have used and make another diagram of that. Now maybe most of you guys already know how these settings should be set. But if someone wants info about other parts of BIOS please let me know.

Xello
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
it has taken very many hours to figure out the best settings for my hardware.

Tell me about it :D

The one thing that always have worked for me when it comes to stability with FSB is higher NB voltage, especially when running quad core the NB volt can be really helpful. To get 455 MHz FSB I had to use somewhere between 1.55-1.6 for bench stability.

Quite true, i've also noticed that the NB is quite stable at anywhere up to 51c for me, i read elsewhere that X48 is extremely unstable with a NB over 45c so that could be down to the board or my cooling system but it's a good thing anyway.

jonbass
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes, this board needs some patience to really master, but if you take the time and manage to find the settings that match your hardware, Black Ops really rocks :)

Like i said before, i had a lot to do lately with my Black Ops review, but now it is out for anyone that understand swedish :)
Hope itīs ok for me to post it here, if not i will remove the link.

http://www.techsweden.org/index.php?view=9KETS4

HDCHOPPER
08-01-2008, 06:43 AM
well eye dont read swedish but pictures say a 1000 words ;)
looks like a great review jonbass

sashin
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I have managed to get this fofconn board stable at 445 x 9 with my quadcore at 8-8-8-21 1T and L7 performance level. Will post up my BIOS setting this weekend. I can so far get through SPi up 8M calculation with no error. 16M seems to stop responding half way. 3DMark 06 and 3Dmark Vantage stable, Custom PC Benchmark 2007 stable, Everest Benchark Utility stable. All this were run with internet connection and antivirus enabled...ie looking to use this system 24/7 stable without diabling and doing much tweaking. Any further input anyone. Just want to get this thing up to 4.5GHz to 5.0GHz with phase change if possible...............actually 4.8GHz and i will be happy.

btdvox
08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Best guide iv eseen so far- Keep this up- Hopefully you'l update it!

Slovnaft
08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Does anyone else run a Q9450 on BlackOps?! Almost everyone I've seen that has this board has either some QX or Q9650.

saaya
08-13-2008, 07:58 PM
sorry i didnt reply earlier, i was on a business trip and we are preparing for games convention in germany next week, working on x58, and preparing to move to our own new office in 2 weeks, so... theres quite a lot going on here! :D

if my comments are outdated let me know :D
if any of you has a question and still needs some help and tips on pushing up the fsb let me know!

i wanted to see if i could drop the multi and increase the memory a bit [1:4 cpu333]) and to my dismay i couldn't get any kind of decent fsb overclock, even when i dropped to 420mhz. At that point i decided the memory settings may not be my problem, so i started looking at GTL values on the cpu so with another memory divider 430fsb is rock stable? so before you ran lower than 1600 memory speeds with 999, and then you tried 11x400 and 1600 777 was rockstable? but now you cant even get 1650 888 stable, right? you using 1gb or 2gb sticks?
the problem COULD be your memory and not the fsb... did you play with the DLL options in the memory timings? its easier than gtl cause with memtest 86 you can immediatly see if a setting works better or not, and there is a much smaller window of settings that work, not like with gtl where a wide range of settings works somewhat but only one of them is really stable.

oh and your vcore is quite low for 4ghz+, are you sure 1.4v is all you need for that speed?

Thanks jonbass...i am able to get the system stable at 420 FSB with 9.5 multi. NB and SB Voltage is 1.5 and so is VTT voltage. CPU voltage is 1.46 in BIOS.
hehehe your ging for a "one voltage fits all" approach? :D

thats pretty high and might be the problem.... how high can you go with the 6x multi?

i don't have Excel to to a proper table.
table is here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194182)
and open office is here (http://www.openoffice.org/)

:toast:

Xello
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi guys, not sure if this is common knowledge for all X48 or just blackops or what but apparently memory is best used in slots 2 and 4.

I've been in touch with Rajinder Gill from Anandtech, who wrote their blackops review, and he has been sharing some of his experience and wisdom with me, and he suggested doing this. Just to demonstrate how big a difference it made - on 450fsb/8.5x = 3.8ghz/1800mhz 9-9-9-25 1T, settings which failed prime on all 4 cores in under a minute, simply switching slots has given me a run of so far 2hrs 20 mins of stability :)

I had actually nailed down my 9.5x based overclock (416fsb, 3.95ghz, 1664mhz memory 8-7-7-23 1T), and was going to post the settings, however since i achieved that on slots 1 and 3 i will be returning to it once i've got my second OC profile done to see if the slot change will make a difference there also.

dMITIj
08-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Xello, any news? :) and what BIOS are useing?

jonbass
08-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi!

I am glad to see that there are people still posting in this thread despite that i havent been around for some time now, i have so much other thing to do right now that i havent had the time to post any new settings or even sit down and do some more testing’s with the Black Ops. It a stressful time right now for us that review hardware, many new interesting stuff that are coming out on the market today.

Anyway, i just wanted to say that i am happy to se that there is still some interest in this thread, and i will update my settings as soon as i get some time over to sit down and continue my tests with the Black Ops motherboard. Hopefully i will be finishing up with my latest reviews in a couple of days.

Thanks to all the people that have posted in this thread :)

Xello
08-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Xello, any news? :) and what BIOS are useing?

Well i've been having some trouble in the past few days ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198831 ) so i'm only just getting back to tuning my overclock. I've decided now to do 3 overclock profiles - one for a 9,5x multi, one for a 9x, and one for an 8.5x. I'll see what best FSB and memory timings i can get for each of them.

Right now i'm stable @ 9x for 435fsb = 3918mhz, 1740mhz memory with 9-9-9-25 1T, however i have 1.67v going through the NB. It's fine temperature wise, topping out at 46/47, but i'm not sure if that high a voltage is any danger for using it every day. My 9.5x setting with 416fsb only needs 1.4v~ for the NB and gives me 3.95ghz so i might end up going with that in the end.

As for the RAM slots, i've been using 2 and 4 ever since then and i recommend everyone else do the same. Rajinder speculated that those slots may have some adjustments in the skew algorythms which make them a little better to use at high frequencies. Either way, it works!

I was on G28 bios back then, but while i was trying to sort out my little problem from the other thread i upgraded to G29 so i'm on that now. I'll probably have to upgrade again when they bring out a bios to fix the 4870X2 crossfire problem, assuming it can be fixed, because i want 2 of them :]

Xello
09-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Sorry for the double-post, but it's been awhile since that last one!

Well i'm finally done with overclocking on this board (for now), i have my 3 prime stable overclock profiles and a 4th i decided to do for max benchable clocks. This is on bios G30, and i always use the 1:4 cpu333 divider.

This is for a QX9650 and 2x2gb Corsair 1600mhz ram (9-9-9-24 1.8v stock). Both CPU and the NB are watercooled with 320mm rad (NB with delrin top).

Setting 1 8.5x multi:

FSB 450 (= 3825mhz cpu, 1800mhz ram)
Vcore 1.41v (1.39v actual)
VTT 1.35v
CPU GTL +10, +5, +10, +10
NB 1.67v
NB GTL +5
Vdimm 2.02v
Timings 9-9-9-25, PL7, 1T

Setting 2 9x multi, as above except:

FSB 435 (= 3915mhz cpu, 1740mhz ram)
Vcore 1.46v (1.44v actual)
NB 1.59v
NB GTL +3
Vdimm 1.95v
Timings 9-9-9-24, PL7, 1T

Setting 3 9.5x multi, as above except:

FSB 421 (= 4004mhz cpu, 1686mhz ram)

Setting 4, max 3d bench stable (not prime stable!)

9x multi
FSB 460 (= 4140mhz cpu, 1840mhz ram)
Vcore 1.46v (1.44v actual)
VTT 1.35v
CPU GTL +10, +5, +10, +10
NB 1.67v
NB GTL +5
Vdimm 2.15v
Timings 8-8-7-22, PL7, 1T

I'm not sure if i'm totally finished with the max 3d bench profile, i might raise the VTT a step and see if it can go any higher than 460fsb. I got everest read result of 10,781MB/s and latency of 48.9ns frpm that though, pretty damn impressive for this mid range memory kit i thought!

Would appreciate any thoughts on the first 3 profiles, ie which to choose for my 24/7 setting. I'm on setting 3 right now, i like the 4ghz...

As you can see though basically raising the multi by .5x will gain 90mhz on the cpu, while requiring a drop of about 15mhz on the fsb losing 60mhz on the memory, leading to a choice of 4ghz with 1686mhz memory or 3.82ghz with 1800mhz memory. In practical terms both variations will probably not really be noticable, but i think the higher cpu is the one to go for in the long term especially as it lets me lower both the NB and Ram volts a little.

TheGanG
09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi jonbass, i have my QX9770 setings 4.5-4.6 GHz > 3DMarks benchable, would u please gimme sum BIOS advice 5.0-5.2 GHz > 3DMarks benchable?

NB watered, QX9770 watered but will be subzero watered, probably LN2ed...

Test Rig (now space): QX9770 (C0) Targeting 5,2+ GHz Benchable / BlackOps / 1GB of KingstonHX 14400 / EVGA 9800GX2SC

QX9770 BIOS for 4500 MHz/3DMark Tests
x1.000V CPU: 1.45+ for Boot-Aegis / VDroop C: En. / PLL: 1.508V / VTT: 1.35V / GTL Ref: +10+5+10+10 / NB: 1.594V / SB: 1.5V / DRAM: 2.009V

tCL: 8(9) / tRCD: 8(9) / tRP: 8(9) / tRAS: 24(27) / tRFC: 58(60) / PL: 8(10) / tWR: 20 / tWTR: 17 / tRRD: 8 / tRTP: 8 / RPR: x1 / CPC: 1T

Ratio: 15x / +0.5x: En. / Core Speed: 3850 / FSB: 250 for Boot-SetFSB / Clock Skew: Maks. 100 / Amp.: 800 / DDR3 1:4 CPU 266-333

E8600 on BlackOps:

E8600 Air / (Stock Fan) 5 GHz-(TT DuOrb) 5.1 GHz NB: Stock / Ambient: 17-18°C
E8600 Water / 5165 MHz NB: Air / Ambient: 17-18°C
E8600 Chilled Water / 5255 MHz NB: Water (2 Loops) / Ambient: 26-28°C
E8600 Chilled Water / 587*7 FSB NB: Water (2 Loops) / Ambient: 26-28°C

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4521/img0340wy5.jpg

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6708/5255validtx8.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2818/prime95fj1.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6955/validou6.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8343/960062001be2.jpg

3DMark 06: 21.945 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7973217
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1803/2006gj1.jpg

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3404/memory3481aj3.png

saaya
09-09-2008, 04:28 AM
xello and gang, its really nice to see you making so much progress and sharing your results :) :toast:
as for the slots, actually shamino said slots 1 and 3 work better for him... but he was pushing for 1800 or below speeds with tight timings... :D
i checked all 4 slots and slots 1 and 2 clock much better than slots 3 and 4, if you use them individually.
slots 3 and 4 need skew/dll adjustments to get above around 1950, while slots 1 and 2 worked up to 2050 even without any adjustments.
once i played with the adjustments they all did about the same tho... but i never really pushed for the max since i didnt have time...
raja is pretty damn good at pushing for high mem and fsb clocks, so if he says 2 and 4 clock better, then id say go for it :D

Xello
09-09-2008, 06:25 AM
xello and gang, its really nice to see you making so much progress and sharing your results :) :toast:
as for the slots, actually shamino said slots 1 and 3 work better for him... but he was pushing for 1800 or below speeds with tight timings... :D
i checked all 4 slots and slots 1 and 2 clock much better than slots 3 and 4, if you use them individually.
slots 3 and 4 need skew/dll adjustments to get above around 1950, while slots 1 and 2 worked up to 2050 even without any adjustments.
once i played with the adjustments they all did about the same tho... but i never really pushed for the max since i didnt have time...
raja is pretty damn good at pushing for high mem and fsb clocks, so if he says 2 and 4 clock better, then id say go for it :D

Yeah, as he said to me time and time again YMMV!

For example, when i let him know about having to adjust my NB GTL setting as i increased the fsb he was surprised, as he left his on default for all his overclocks.

I guess with the slots you should go with whatever at first and when you're at a dead end some time try changing them and seeing if it makes a difference :up:

negev
10-07-2008, 07:31 AM
I think this is the absolute limit for my Q9450 with air, the nb tops out at 62C and cpu at 65C (until I open the window lol) under load which is dangerously hot.

vcore 1.375 (1.35-1.36 real)
vdroop on
pll 1.58
vtt 1.35
CPU GTL: 10,5,10,10
NB: 1.5 (1.53 real)
NB GTL: +3 step
SB: 1.575
DRAM: 2.09 (2.12 real)

1:4 CPU333 divider, 425x8

G Skill sticks fail p95 in 2 seconds with stock 7-7-7-18 but 8-8-8-22 seems good (24 hours p95).

tCL 8
tRCD 8
tRP 8
tRAS 22
tRFC 82
PL 7
tWR 7
tWR 22
tWTR 22
tRRD 7
tRTP 7
CR 2T

Gendo
10-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Is there anyone who can help me with some directions for high fsb wolfdale overclocking on this board? I am thinking about selling my blackops because it can't keep up with my E8600 on dice but if I can get 600 fsb out of the board it should be enough. I kinda also want to keep the board because of the sweet CF and PL performance but then it'll have to do high fsb too.

This is my first Foxconn board so sorry about not really understanding it yet:p:

Harshal
10-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Hey Gendo, not sure if you tried settings mentioned here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198735
I have had a decent run with BlackOps upto 610 MAX (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201158)... and I think it can go higher too!!!

Gendo
10-08-2008, 07:10 AM
I just saw that topic just 2 minutes ago. I'll try those settings (with small adjustments of course) and see how far I can get. I hope this board will surprise me!:D

Edit: I've been trying it with boblemagnifique's settings and so far I've got 575 with the 1:2.4 divider and 580 with the 1:2. I think my cheap ass ram is holding me back bigtime.

saaya
10-09-2008, 04:36 AM
I just saw that topic just 2 minutes ago. I'll try those settings (with small adjustments of course) and see how far I can get. I hope this board will surprise me!:D

Edit: I've been trying it with boblemagnifique's settings and so far I've got 575 with the 1:2.4 divider and 580 with the 1:2. I think my cheap ass ram is holding me back bigtime.
what chips volts n timings?

cadaveca
10-09-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm havingb issues with DLL settings...are they based off current unseen bios setting and you adjust from there, or when you change a setting from auto does it go from "stock"?

Gendo
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM
what chips volts n timings?

They are Qimonda (:rofl:) chips, and I've tried everything from cas 7 to 9 and volt from 1.8 to 2+. I have Corsair 1333 9-9-9-24 with stock 1.5v. No matter what CL or PL I use they always max out at around 575-580 (bsod). I dunno, it may be the board's max after all. Will test some more in a few hours. I'm not giving up until I get the absolute max out of it:mad:

Gendo
10-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok I just tested my blackops some more. First I (tried to) figure out what ram timings I should use. These ram sticks are impossible but unfortunately my wallet wont allow a better set at the moment.

Anyways, as soon as I found memtimings that worked best I decided to check out what my NB sweetspot is. This is where I ran into something strange. Well this graph shows it best I guess:

http://www.coolclocks.nl/datas/users/nbgrafiek.jpg

As you can see all values between 1.5 and 1.625 resulted in the same 559 fsb. If I go 1 step (~0.05v) higher I get 580 fsb:confused:

Note: All tests were done with exactly the same bios settings. Including the mem timings I mentioned earlier.

I don't get it, but at least now I know my NB sweetspot.:p:

Tomorrow I'll do the same for different VTT voltages. With some luck I haven't been running that at it's optimal voltage and hopefully I can still get 600 fsb on air.:yepp:

Gendo
10-10-2008, 12:43 PM
As promised I've done the same thing with the vtt voltage today. Here are the results:

http://www.coolclocks.nl/datas/users/vttgrafiek.jpg

Don't ask me why 1.425 wouldnt give me 584.6 fsb like it did yesterday but it just wouldn't go there:p:

And here are my final results for the fsb testing for now. I still need to figure out how these GTL + steps work:rofl:

Max validation:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=429981

Max superpi benchable:
http://www.coolclocks.nl/datas/users/snag-0005.jpg

Settings:
All cpu options but core multi-processing disabled

cpu voltage multi: 1.075
Cpu voltage: 1.275
Vdroop compensation: disabled

Cpu PLL: 1.622
Cpu VTT: 1.575
NB: 1.718

Cpu clock ratio: 7
Cpu Clock: 565
Cpu clock vs mem speed: 1:2
Cpu clock skew: 300
Cpu clock amplitude ctrl: 900mv.

I also manually set my mem timings but those are different for each memory kit so no point in posting them:p:

saaya
10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm havingb issues with DLL settings...are they based off current unseen bios setting and you adjust from there, or when you change a setting from auto does it go from "stock"?
when you change the setting it goes from stock, but i think stock is not a fixed value but is trained/adjusted during every power on by the memory controller.

They are Qimonda (:rofl:) chips, and I've tried everything from cas 7 to 9 and volt from 1.8 to 2+. I have Corsair 1333 9-9-9-24 with stock 1.5v. No matter what CL or PL I use they always max out at around 575-580 (bsod). I dunno, it may be the board's max after all. Will test some more in a few hours. I'm not giving up until I get the absolute max out of it:mad: quimonda will run best with 999 or even higher, and max volts they like are 1.8v, tho you might have newer chips that like higher volts and maybe more tight timings...

Ok I just tested my blackops some more. First I (tried to) figure out what ram timings I should use. These ram sticks are impossible but unfortunately my wallet wont allow a better set at the moment.

Anyways, as soon as I found memtimings that worked best I decided to check out what my NB sweetspot is. This is where I ran into something strange. Well this graph shows it best I guess:

http://www.coolclocks.nl/datas/users/nbgrafiek.jpg

As you can see all values between 1.5 and 1.625 resulted in the same 559 fsb. If I go 1 step (~0.05v) higher I get 580 fsb:confused:

Note: All tests were done with exactly the same bios settings. Including the mem timings I mentioned earlier.

I don't get it, but at least now I know my NB sweetspot.:p:

Tomorrow I'll do the same for different VTT voltages. With some luck I haven't been running that at it's optimal voltage and hopefully I can still get 600 fsb on air.:yepp:mmhhh good work there! :toast:
very interesting... what vdimm are you using and what vtt?
hmmmm

As promised I've done the same thing with the vtt voltage today. Here are the results:

http://www.coolclocks.nl/datas/users/vttgrafiek.jpg

Don't ask me why 1.425 wouldnt give me 584.6 fsb like it did yesterday but it just wouldn't go there:p:

And here are my final results for the fsb testing for now. I still need to figure out how these GTL + steps work:rofl:

Max validation:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=429981

Max superpi benchable:
http://www.coolclocks.nl/datas/users/snag-0005.jpg

Settings:
All cpu options but core multi-processing disabled

cpu voltage multi: 1.075
Cpu voltage: 1.275
Vdroop compensation: disabled

Cpu PLL: 1.622
Cpu VTT: 1.575
NB: 1.718

Cpu clock ratio: 7
Cpu Clock: 565
Cpu clock vs mem speed: 1:2
Cpu clock skew: 300
Cpu clock amplitude ctrl: 900mv.

I also manually set my mem timings but those are different for each memory kit so no point in posting them:p:
mhhh im worried about your cpu maybe degrading from the vtt? :S
can you still run the same fsb speeds with the different vtt settings or do you need more vtt now to reach the same fsb speeds?

Gendo
10-13-2008, 04:23 AM
mmhhh good work there! :toast:
very interesting... what vdimm are you using and what vtt?
hmmmm

mhhh im worried about your cpu maybe degrading from the vtt? :S
can you still run the same fsb speeds with the different vtt settings or do you need more vtt now to reach the same fsb speeds?

At that time I was using 2.0-2.1vdimm and 1.425vtt.

But I don't think my chip is degrading, I just spent more time testing the vNB than the vtt. And it's only a difference of like 2 Mhz. I probably had a lucky shot the first time or something.

Tomorrow we'll see what this baby can do on dice:D I already know my NB has a coldbug, even with dice, so that'll have to be cooled by a nice 3000 rpm fan:)

saaya
10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
i dont think the nb has a coldbug, several people told me that, but i just cant believe it...
it always happens around 0 degrees for people, which points towards condensation if you ask me...
shamino and several others have diced and ln2ed x48 and got nice results our of it, so why would the chips suddenly coldboot?
i think its an insulation issue...

about vtt, yeah i think people are beeing way to cautious after 3 early stepping 45nm chips died with 1.4v vtt...
but then again, you never know, thats why i asked :D

almost 600fsb with 1.4vtt is daaamn nice :D

The Water Dog
12-10-2008, 01:17 AM
This thread is going to be nice to have when i get my OCZ DDR3-1600 so i can get up my Blackops.
But i did get the non-retail card, the mobo dont have heat-pipe between Nb and Sb and some other diffrences.
But which bios do you recomend to use?
I will use a quad on it=)

Akrian
12-10-2008, 09:50 PM
high I got mine Q9550 @ to 3772.84-3773 ( depending on what you look at - cpu-z or Aegis ).
with VTT 1.35
Vcore 1.375 ( shows 1.38 at aegis , and drops to 1.35 during load)
and NB up to 1.48 ( havent compeltely tested yet) , or 1.54 ( seems to be stable at this one).
DDR3 1600 Gskill 2x2gb ram ( the one with 7-7-7-18 1.9v ) -> 1420 6-6-6-10 1.84 (set in bios) (1.90 shows in aegis) , had to downclock them , as they never worked on their 1600 speed no matter what I tried
I use air cooling on my NB and temps avereges at 40 while just standing by , and 45-47 under load . my question is - could I use those v-core and NB for 24/7 ? :confused:
Sotryy I'm still new with black-ops .
P.S. can anyone explain me the dark secret of Aegis : if I use bios to set my OC settings - the max stable achivable FSB I can get - 438 , beyond that - there is a series of problems . BUT if I use 438 and THEN use Aegis I can go way Up to 444 which it will show as 443.86 , and will be stable completely even under intelburn test 0_0

Dazebabz
01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
This is with out doubt one of the best posts i have ever seen, its so awsome :) Thank you mate !

Sailindawg
01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
if I use bios to set my OC settings - the max stable achivable FSB I can get - 438 , beyond that - there is a series of problems . BUT if I use 438 and THEN use Aegis I can go way Up to 444 which it will show as 443.86 , and will be stable completely even under intelburn test 0_0

That's how it works sometimes. Max fsb can sometimes only be attained by booting to windows, then setting the new fsb. If you are on the edge of stability, booting to windows can be just enough to destabilize your OC when starting from a post.

Sailindawg
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
This thread is going to be nice to have when i get my OCZ DDR3-1600 so i can get up my Blackops.
But i did get the non-retail card, the mobo dont have heat-pipe between Nb and Sb and some other diffrences.
But which bios do you recomend to use?
I will use a quad on it=)

I'm running P05 with a Q6600. Max stable fsb was 8x450 with reasonable voltages on cpu, NB. I was running 2x1G 1333 RAM on a divider. I have found P05 to be a pretty good BIOS for the Q6600 and the hard ware I'm running.

Akrian
02-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Got my Q9550 443x8.5
CPU voltage 1.384somthing ( actual 1.374somthing , goes to 1.36 under heavy load).
CPU PLL 1.58
CPU VTT 1.35 ( As i found today it's actual 1.25 on BalkOps 0_o)
NB - 1.6 ( with reasonable t* < 50) +3
SB- 1.5
Ram 1.725
I wonder if putting actual 1.35 VTT will help me to get stable on 447 , because I can boot up to 450 on current specs , but freeze in any program byond i-explorer and everest memtest
447 goes down when it comes to prime , OCCT , and GTA 4 ( my worst nightmare for stability testing).
Bios G30

Akrian
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I think I might get 444 fsb working ... done couple of tests , but didnt try the "cusrsed game" yet . Gonna test it when I get home .
Still I could not manage to get 447 stable . Temps are fine everywhere ( NB , Video , CPU , PSU , HDD ) , but it still keep giving me error crash code 4 in OCCT in couple of minutes .
I don't want to rais NB volts beyong 1.6 though , at least not for 24/7 use .
currents settings :
444 x 8.5
CPU v - 1.384 ( 1.36-1.37 actual)
CPU PLL - 1.58
CPU VTT 1.35 ( 1.25 actual) or 1.425 ( still didnt deside which is better) +10,+5,+10,+10
NB - 1.563 ( 1.61 actual , or at elast that what Aegis , and Speed Fan , and Cpu-Z shows)
NB skew +5
SB - 1.575
Vram - 1.725 ( 1.76 actual)
other voltage setting for ram on auto
Ram devider 1:3.2
timings : 6-6-6-12 PL6 2T
any ideas how to get to 447 stable ? (I'm out of ideas X_X )
I really want to se my damn cpu on 3.8ghz working stable
Systems Specs :
Q9550 E0
BlackOps mobo
160gb hdd seagate 7200rpm
4870x2 @ 800/3600
Gskill 2x2gb ddr3 1600 ram .
lots of fans XD
Zerotherm Nirvana CPU cooler ( blockes first mem slot , but seems to do the job when it comes to cooling).
P.S. because of the awfull screw on the cooler , I could tighten two of them completely , so now everest , and OCCT shows core temps like this : 27 , 30 , 41,40 when resting , and 50,51,49,52 ( aprox ) when under load .
I tryed 5 times to tigten those b*stards but cant do it with my hends , and there is no screw driver that will be able to screw them when the cooler is mounted and blocking pretty much the screw halls ( when you look from the top) .

cadaveca
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Change to PL7 @ 417FSB, after 445FSB, PL8. You are using excessive chipset volts because of PL. I run 500FSB daily, PL8, @ 1.375 vNB in bios(1.4v). PL8 is good up to 550FSB, 1.625 vNB, but PL9 allows for 1.4v-1.5v, again.

Akrian
02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Hmm I tryed PL7 and PL8 once , but with 7-6-6-16 and 1T ( auto settings) . ( didnt get stability like this though)
Might try mine 6-6-6-12 2t with PL 7 or 8 toady as well . Hope your advice will get me to 447-450 ^___^ .
Currentely I'm getting over 10k in everest reading test with ram setting I have
P.S. you use dual core thought for crazy fsb like 500 right ?

Akrian
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
ok , done just as you said - PL8 , combined with 6-6-6-12 2t timings . Even ran throught the GTA 4 without freezes . but everest shows that writing , reading , copying is 450 slower , and L2 cashe also wrokes slower ( 2000 points difference on each part of the test) =(

cadaveca
02-04-2009, 04:07 PM
yes dualcore, some of the 45nm Q9xxx quads go that high easily as well...it's just for me, a dualcore meets my needs.

Approaching quads, well, vFSB is very important...you need to keep Vfsb, Vcpu, and Vnb all in close proximity to one another for good stability for 24/7 use. I know that my settings may cause slight performance loss, but this is the case...performance over short periods, or long-term stability. This is what makes the board so good for benching...adequate power so you can run those tighter settings, but jsut throwing more power is brute force, and will break something...in your case(and most others) long-term stability.

You'll need to increase vFSB as you go up, so you must also increase Vcpu and Vnb to match...and you must adjust PL and cpu multi in order to keep these volts in check.

once you reach the point that you cannot keep the voltages in check, you must adjust memory skews and GTLs to make the extra votlage tolerable for the rest of the system.

Akrian
02-04-2009, 06:26 PM
444 officially stable
1.384 on cpu ( drops to 1.36 under load)
CPU VTT - 1.425 set in bios ( I assume that's 1.325 in reality , since sayaa mentioned that they didnt fix the vtt in G32 bioos , and I have G30 ).
VNB - 1.56 in bios ( 1.6 in reality) temps 39 on NB without load , 45 -47 under heavy load
VRAm 1.725 ( 1.76 in reality)
NB GTL +5
timing 6-6-6-12 PL6 2T
I think that's a good specs to keep 24/7 , right ?
I will begin testing the same thing with 1.35 VTT toady soon
BTW when I put 6-6-6-x timings on ram , even if I put 1T when windows loaded memset and everest shows 2T , I really don't know why . Been having that with G30 , G32 .

RAYTTK
02-04-2009, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE][BTW when I put 6-6-6-x timings on ram , even if I put 1T when windows loaded memset and everest shows 2T , I really don't know why . Been having that with G30 , G32 ./QUOTE]
I had the same issue so I went back to G29

Akrian
02-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Thx Rayttk , backed up to G29 , and got my 1T =)

GanJahMan
02-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Can someone post BIOS settings for their Dual Core Wolfdale CPUs? All I see on this thread are Quad core BIOS settings, which Ive tried and cant get my E8300 over 3.4Ghz to be stable across the board. Im using P05 BIOS and I can get Vista to load at 3.6GHz but its not stable in Crysis. Here are the settings Ive used...

Black Ops P05
Corsair 9-9-9-24 2x2GB
E8300

vcore 1.375 to 1.4
vdroop on and off
pll 1.58
vtt 1.35
CPU GTL: 10,5,10,10 and Auto
NB: 1.5 and lower
NB GTL: +3,+2 and Auto
SB: 1.575 and lower
DRAM: Default, 1.8, 1.9
1:4 CPU333 divider 425,450 (400 works with near stock voltages and is 100% stable)

Ive tried different voltages in these ranges, but anything over 3.4Ghz fails in games like Crysis. 8800GT is not overclocked, Windows seems fine. Temps are high 30's low 40's. Anyone have any recommendations?

saaya
02-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Can someone post BIOS settings for their Dual Core Wolfdale CPUs? All I see on this thread are Quad core BIOS settings, which Ive tried and cant get my E8300 over 3.4Ghz to be stable across the board. Im using P05 BIOS and I can get Vista to load at 3.6GHz but its not stable in Crysis. Here are the settings Ive used...

Black Ops P05
Corsair 9-9-9-24 2x2GB
E8300

vcore 1.375 to 1.4
vdroop on and off
pll 1.58
vtt 1.35
CPU GTL: 10,5,10,10 and Auto
NB: 1.5 and lower
NB GTL: +3,+2 and Auto
SB: 1.575 and lower
DRAM: Default, 1.8, 1.9
1:4 CPU333 divider 425,450 (400 works with near stock voltages and is 100% stable)

Ive tried different voltages in these ranges, but anything over 3.4Ghz fails in games like Crysis. 8800GT is not overclocked, Windows seems fine. Temps are high 30's low 40's. Anyone have any recommendations?

are your nb temps fine?
what cpu temps?
you are aware that when ocing the fsb you oc the memory as well, right?
how high can your mem clock? is it ddr3 1333? with 999 timings? sounds like bad stuff :S try giving it more vdimm and see if you can get higher... if its bad clocking chips then itll prolly hold you back at around 400fsb with the 1:4 divider as its running around 1600 at that fsb with that memory divider.

GanJahMan
02-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks for a reply. NB temps are 28c-32c CPU is 29c-34c The RAM is 1666 Corsair. I read the anandtech review of this board, and got the same memory as he had when he was getting 1885 @ 470mhz with an E8500. Corsair TW3X4G1600C9DHX. Maybe Ill try a lower Memory divider.

saaya
02-10-2009, 05:03 AM
wow, those are nice temps, is it that cold there or is it watercooled? ^^
hmmmm make sure you have the same revision of the mem?
the rev number indicates the chips used, and maybe corsair changed the chips on the newer ones...
hmmm well when you push up the fsb above 400, what fails first? memtest? prime?

GanJahMan
02-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Ok, Prime 95 ran through the stress test a couple of times @ 425/1700, temps on the cpu are no higher than 50c and NB no higher than 38c. Settings are:

Vcore: 1.375
Vdroop: off
Pll: 1.58
Vtt: 1.35
NB: 1.5
SB: 1.57
NB GTL: Default
Dram: 1.8

So it seems the problem I always have is with the Assualt Harbor benchmark in Crysis @ 3.6GHz. It gets 60% thru the first run and craps out at a black screen everytime, and I have to end the task to get back into Vista. I get a Vista error saying the Display Adapter failed, but Vista is completely stable. At 3.4GHz I dont have this issue. PCI-X is running default speed in the BIOS. Maybe its the card. I ordered a GTX 295 today, maybe Ill get better results with it.

Well, its stable at 3.8GHz using the 1:3.2 mem divider. Sometimes when I run the Harbor Village benchmark, my sound gets tinny sounding and scratchy. I have an old Audigy 1 PCI card. Something funny also, The BIOS says the CPU is running 450x8, at post it says 450x8.5 and in Vista using CPUid or Everest, it reads the CPU @ 450x8 showing 3.6Ghz. At post it reads 3.8GHz.

saaya
02-11-2009, 02:37 AM
hmmmm it shows 450x8 and 3.6ghz in everest and cpuz, which is correct, right?
the problem is that at post it reads it as 8.5 and 3.8, correct?
what bios is this on again?

crysis is a tough benchmark, way harder than 3dmark in my experience...
your nb temps seem alright, id recommend you to increase nb volts and see if that helps.
the chipset gets really nailed at high fsb with a vga intensive app, there is a lot of data sreaming through it from the fsb to the pciE bus and it really stresses the chipset.

GanJahMan
02-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Looks like I had to enable CPU clock ratio unlock. None of the default values changed, but now everything shows right. If its set to defult, it shows the incorrect multiplier in Vista,Everest,CPUid. The correct multiplier is 450x8.5. I dont think the +0.5x ratio option was displaying right when Clock Ratio Unlock was set to default.

Crysis is running at 3.8 now, NB @ 1.5, Ive only had the scratchy sound once. I ordered an X-fi to replace the old PCI Audigy 1. Ive had issues in the past with the Audigy cards making screeching noise and what not in games.

saaya
02-16-2009, 03:21 AM
vista right? there seem to be several people with vista sound issues... at least your rig isnt BSODing like some peoples :D
ok, so its detecting the cpu multi wrong when cpu ratio is not unlocked, ok... ill give feedback to the bios engineers :toast:

Akrian
03-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Ok yesterday , I managed to run 445x8.5 in OCCT 3.01 ( selected large somthing in test options , which should stress CPU RAM and chipset).
I got 4.5 h of running it with no problems , zooming through i-net and watching moives at the same time .

Then I put Prime Blend test overnight .
Well core 2 got fatal error in 2h on 640k , others worked fine for 9h .
Any ideas where I should tied some settings up so this OC will be stable ?

current settings : RAM : 7-6-6-18 PL7 2T 1:3.2 devider 1425mhz
CPU Vcore - 1.39 (actual)
CPU VTT - 1.35 ( 1.25 actual)
CPU PLL - 1.5
NB - 1.59 ( 1.63 actual)
RAM - 1.86 (1.98 actual)
GTL's : +10 , +5 ,+ 10 , +10 .

Rougequellovero
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
This is my results with the bugged Ram multiplier 1/3 that with auto settings doesn't arrive over 490FSB.
With P06 bios
I modified Dimm2/Dimm4 clock skew adjusts from auto to -3 (-2 or -3 for different FSB) and dimm2/dimm4 ctrl skew from auto to -2

500fsb

http://www.pctunerup.com/up/results/_200904/th_20090421215341_screenshot18.JPG (http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_200904/20090421215341_screenshot18.JPG)

505fsb

http://www.pctunerup.com/up/results/_200904/th_20090421220034_screenshot19.JPG (http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_200904/20090421220034_screenshot19.JPG)

510fsb (not stable)

http://www.pctunerup.com/up/results/_200904/th_20090421220301_screenshot21.JPG (http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_200904/20090421220301_screenshot21.JPG)

JGIG73
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi guys, wanted to get some help. I got a new Q9650 EO stepping CPU to replace the E8400 I had. I was able to get my E8400 to 4GHZ easily, but this Quad is a bit harder. I am aware they dont clock as high as the dual cores, and there are voltage limits to these chips as well (from what I have read) Right now I have the chip stable at 3.7GHz in prime95. Running the Following....

F/W P06
Vcore: 1.30
Vtt: 1.27
NB: 1.312
SB: 1.5

I have played with the vCore and Vtt values from 1.2 to 1.4 and Nbridge from 1.3-1.5 But cant get past 3.7GHz Can someone post their working settings for their Q9650 EO CPU's? I know all chips are different, but I need a good starting point to work from. I read the first post on this thread for my initial settings, but cant get any higher than 3.7Ghz. It would seem 3.7Ghz is attainable with near stock voltages, but anything further than that percise tweaking is needed. The dual core was much more flexible with voltage settings.

XmikeX
04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi guys, wanted to get some help. I got a new Q9650 EO stepping CPU to replace the E8400 I had. I was able to get my E8400 to 4GHZ easily, but this Quad is a bit harder. I am aware they dont clock as high as the dual cores, and there are voltage limits to these chips as well (from what I have read) Right now I have the chip stable at 3.7GHz in prime95. Running the Following....

F/W P06
Vcore: 1.30
Vtt: 1.27
NB: 1.312
SB: 1.5

I have played with the vCore and Vtt values from 1.2 to 1.4 and Nbridge from 1.3-1.5 But cant get past 3.7GHz Can someone post their working settings for their Q9650 EO CPU's? I know all chips are different, but I need a good starting point to work from. I read the first post on this thread for my initial settings, but cant get any higher than 3.7Ghz. It would seem 3.7Ghz is attainable with near stock voltages, but anything further than that percise tweaking is needed. The dual core was much more flexible with voltage settings.

....and what a wonderful adventure this will be for you :)

Start here :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193665

and here :

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3366

and then scan xtremesystems like mad, and finally, test forever.. until time ends. :D

The first lowly "breakthroughs" or "ah-ha! moments" for me were GTL tweaks and knocking down CPU skew.

However, I'm still trying to get a megaultrastable low-volt 445/446 fsb going with E0 Q9650 so I'm going to stay mum on my own primitive pathetic settings until I can reasonably claim success. :D

XmX

overclocking101
09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
ok me and my friend have been playing with a q6600 and this board.last night thought we finally were going to boot windows at 3.9ghz but nope no dice. set it to default and it worked fine. this morning it wont boot windows at default posts, get to windows vista loading screen and then loads turns black and sits there dont budge even for an hour nothing. post code at this tine is FF. could the sb chip be blown? most voltage we put to it was 1.55v so idk if that is it or not

Rougequellovero
09-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Have you modified CPU GTL???? Q6600 is a 65nm cpu, and GTL are different from 45nm cpu (bios is written for 45nm....)

Spork!
09-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Have you modified CPU GTL???? Q6600 is a 65nm cpu, and GTL are different from 45nm cpu (bios is written for 45nm....)

Bugga.
I have a q6600 arriving this week, was looking for an economy quad to upgrade mu duo core.
Is there a guide anywhere for OC'ing the Q6600 on Blackops? I realise any OC involves some trial and error, but some settings to start from perhaps?
I hope to achieve 3.6GHz with it, a %50 OC, perhaps thats expecting too much, as I know lots of ppl. only get 3.2-3.4 on the Q6600, but then they don't have Blackops... :)

JarrettM
10-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Any advice getting a Q9550 at higher than 450 FSB? I've gotten to 460 to boot into windows stable but other than that, I want to get the FSB to 471 to run my quad at a bit higher than 4.0ghz. Ideas?

CPU Vid 1.3v. Running 2x2 GB DDR3 Muskin 1600mhz @ 6-6-6-18 T1. Here's my other settings for FSB 450 stable.:

FSB: 450
Clock Ratio: 8
CPU +.05X: Yes
Ram Divider: 1:3
Clock Skew: 100
Clock Amp.: 800

CPU Voltage:1.3725 (Actual 1.33v)
Vdroop: Disabled
Cpu PLL:1.58
VTT:1.65
GTL ref 1:+10
GTL ref 2:+10
GTL ref 3:+10
GTL ref 4:+10
NB V:1.67
NB GTL:+2
SB V:

DRAM:1.87

JarrettM
10-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, still can't get this stable past 450. Ideas?

XmikeX
10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
THREAD NECRO BUMP FOR JARRETTM - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193665

=)

XmX

Leeghoofd
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
570FSB rockstable boot from bios with E8600 on air...

http://users.telenet.be/OAP2/Blackops%20003.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/OAP2/Blackops%20001.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/OAP2/Blackops%20002.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/OAP2/Blackops%20004.jpg

jinomz
10-12-2010, 06:12 AM
can any1 help me get my q6600 up to 3.6GHz?
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260586

batlecryawesome
03-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I have the black ops board and will need some of this info..Thanks

aussie-revhead
11-29-2011, 11:01 PM
I just picked up a BlackOps too and its giving me the :banana::banana::banana::banana:s too ..... I cant get past 450mhz either .....

:(

Telo
12-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I just picked up a BlackOps too and its giving me the :banana::banana::banana::banana:s too ..... I cant get past 450mhz either .....

This board is very picky went it comes to components you use with it. What RAM are you using with it? Also, to get a high FSB, you can only use 1or 2 sticks; I was able to get a solid 475Mhz [using max multiplier of an E8600] with 2 sticks of 1GB CellShock 1866Mhz RAM. I have removed that RAM now, and I'm using 2x 2GB Mushkin RedLine 2000Mhz [made for X58] which I can get stable to 450Mhz.

aussie-revhead
12-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I bought a pair of Dominator GT 2000 c8 v2.1 2x2gb for this rig, is this part of the problem? Does it like older rams better? If so what rams should I look for? My CPU is an E8700 that has done 6.3ghz with the previous owner so it should be capable. At this stage I'm uncertain whether to keep this BlackOps and persist or get a P45 based board instead.

Telo
12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I bought a pair of Dominator GT 2000 c8 v2.1 2x2gb for this rig, is this part of the problem? Does it like older rams better? If so what rams should I look for? My CPU is an E8700 that has done 6.3ghz with the previous owner so it should be capable. At this stage I'm uncertain whether to keep this BlackOps and persist or get a P45 based board instead.

I have used 2 types of Dominator RAMs on it, but both have been 1600. The Mushkin I got on it right now is DDR3-2000 and I have it down clocked to just above 1500; I guess it has to do with it not being 1.9 - 2.1v RAM because I have had older 2x2GB kits in it and they clocked to 1900 fine. If you can get your hands on an older set of RAM it is better. But the FSB will overclock no matter what, it just that like in my case you will need to down clock your RAM.

I'm currently trying to stretch the life cycle on this PC by upgrading the RAM to 8GB [newer games these days have it running a little slow; MW3 was using like 1.4GB at one point]. The kit I got my eye on is the Mushkin DDR3-2133 4x2GB. First I will try using my entire 3x2GB kit of the Mushkin RAM I got in it to see if it boots fine, after it does I will buy the 4x2GB kit. I'll let you know how it goes.

PS: I was told by G.Skill support that the ECO line of RAM is a good option for this board. Dunno why, it uses even less voltage than the usual 1.6v kits.

Telo
12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I guess I hit a brick wall... the board will not boot with 3x2GB sticks in. Shame, I wanted to keep using this PC. Guess when funds are ready I'll jump on the X79 bandwagon and retire the BlackOps.

aussie-revhead
12-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Well Im having endless issues with this rig, but some of it is definately related to my later style ram. Why is it I can get them to 1575-8-8-8 at any fsb up to 460 but at 470 I get C1 fail on POST? Yet with less emphasis on ram I have had it up to 560mhz fsb (but 8x multi) and 1344mhz ram speed (they are Kingston T1 Hyper-X 2000)

Telo
12-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Well Im having endless issues with this rig, but some of it is definately related to my later style ram. Why is it I can get them to 1575-8-8-8 at any fsb up to 460 but at 470 I get C1 fail on POST? Yet with less emphasis on ram I have had it up to 560mhz fsb (but 8x multi) and 1344mhz ram speed (they are Kingston T1 Hyper-X 2000)

I tried the HyperX T1s on this board, but they were the 2133 kind; they wouldn't even boot with one stick.

But to add to your comment, yes it is related to the newer RAM. The old set of 2x2GB from G.Skill that I used to own would go as high as 1900Mhz [I believe it was a 2000Mhz set]. I really hit myself these days because it would have been great to keep running a set of RAM that hits that high, since I've found this 4GB wall.

aussie-revhead
12-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I put up a WTB here for rams and have been offered two good sets so I cant wait to try them. They are Cell Shock 14400 C7 and Corsair 14400 C7

:D

I have been testing some more and at 9x525 it seems to be usable but unstable, it doesnt bsod but Pi fails (out of round or not exact result), is this just vcore? Or other voltage can cause this? I just cant get past this 4.7Ghz wall, lower multi and fsb increases but wall is the same.

:)