PDA

View Full Version : Adding a second radiator, for the hell of it

AndrewZorn
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I've asked this before, but want to be certain... I'm rebuilding into a Rocketfish in a couple of days. Just got finished cutting the holes for the top-mounted radiator, and it turned out amazing!

Anyway, I have a Black Ice Xtreme from way back when. Should I add it in the loop with my MCR320, Fuzion, MCW60-R, all powered by an MCP655?

I was last told it wasn't worth the pressure drop. That's okay if it's true but I want to make sure. It's doing nothing but sitting here, and since I now have a huuuuge Rocketfish, I want to make sure.

ripken204
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
with a Q6600 and 8800GT its not needed. you can do it for the hell of it as you said, us Martin's Flow Rate Estimator to check the pressure drop:
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/MartinsFlowRateEstimator.html

for my next build i will be using a PA120.3, MCR220, Fuzion V2, and not sure on my gpu block yet for a Q6700 and 4870. just for the hell of it.
so check out the pressure drop and the estimator and make your decision.

EDIT - RealRedRaider beat me to it :p:

AndrewZorn
07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
The BIX says "NOT TESTED! ERROR!" and only slightly decreases the flow. I'm just asking for theory more than anything else.

AndrewZorn
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
After reading most of your build log, I think we are in different situations...

PS nice display, I am also in love with blacks

MomijiTMO
07-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Might as well. That's the only way of knowing how it will be :D.

Lloyd
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
If you have the room I would add it, just my opinion.
But i have a 2nd rad in one of my pc's - the 1st rad is a BIX and the 2nd a BI Stealth (both 120.2's), with everything on the one loop (18watt Laing DDC) see rig 2 in sig. And i've been very pleased with my temps, i'm yet to see what oc headroom i have though

Snyxxx
07-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I am building a Lian Li G70 which i think is similar to your Rocketfish. I have a PA120.2 in the roof (adjacent to the PSU) and a second rad (PA120.1) in the front bottom where the 120mm fan goes just because I can. I say go for it.

I will do some testing to see if it helps or not.

Serpentarius
07-11-2008, 08:47 PM
After reading most of your build log, I think we are in different situations...

dun worry too much, dude ... have faith in yourself and your watercooling ... :ROTF:

NaeKuh
07-11-2008, 08:57 PM
make sure you add a second pump for the hell of it as well. :rofl:

jonny_ftm
07-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I'll add it if you have the room and time to mod your build.

1- pressure drop with MCR320 is negligible
2- people say it's not needed because they like running turbine fans to get out of their watts. Adding the radiator will give you more silence. The MCR320 is well optimized for slow fans. Read Martin's tests about it, it is very good radiator.

So, it's up to you, depending on your needs. A second radiator will definately give you better temperatures for the same fan speed compared to a single radiator build

Eddie3dfx
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Add it to the loop.
Pressure drop would be too tiny to make a difference.

philbrown23
07-12-2008, 01:05 PM
do it man, do it!

Martinm210
07-12-2008, 01:08 PM
The BIX also uses the larger tubes which is lower in restriction. It has higher density fins that'll make it perform it's best with stronger fans, but even with slow speed fans I'm sure the added heat dissipation can only help you. Flow rate differences are minimal and insignificant compared to the heat dissipation gains.

I put the "Not Tested, Error" in all of the curves that I have not tested myself, but that's not to say it could be spot on...I just didn't test it and can't confirm.

I'd go for it, it can only help. It may not be necessary, but I'd try it...the BIX is a nice radiator...especially with stronger fans.

AndrewZorn
07-13-2008, 11:55 AM
With the first half of replies being super-discouraging, I'm glad I came back (and even, asked this question again!)! Thanks a ton Martin for the personal reply! Can't wait to clean out this old thing and add it on. I'm just going to put it on my front intake or maybe rear exhaust. It's going to be super-cool to have both in there! I'll be putting D12SL-12 everywhere, I ordered 4 of the premium ones from Petra, and have about 5 of the Jab-Tech ones from before. I hope it won't be too loud, but I waiver every day on whether I should have gotten even louder fans.