PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried waterproofing a cell phone?

raptor22
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I recently lost a phone due to water damage (this is the second one) and when i was taking it apart to try to dry it off it occurred to me that it would be pretty easy to spray some corrosionX in there and seal up the edges with silicon. If I could just find some form of thin coating for the keys I could waterproof it quite nicely.

Another option would be coating the PCB with a thin sealing substance like thinned goop, but I wouldn't be able to seal the whole thing and I could see it making the phone overheat.

So, since its always easier not to reinvent the wheel, has anyone here tried to mod a cellphone to be waterproof?

--Alex

just a noob
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
couldnt you coat the whole thing in vasoline or someting like that, if you didnt mind a great big mess when your done? but wouldnt water proofing it also mess with its reception?

STEvil
07-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I just dry them out and they work fine.

Okda
07-12-2008, 05:25 AM
I just dry them out and they work fine.

yup, worked fine on a nokia 8210 :)

cdawall
07-12-2008, 07:21 AM
only time that doesn't work is when it gets into the screen :( then the LCD dies sadly

STEvil
07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Never had a wet LCD die... and my phones were about as wet as they could get (one through the washing machine).

cdawall
07-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Never had a wet LCD die... and my phones were about as wet as they could get (one through the washing machine).

thats weird mine half the screen went :shrug:

inCore
07-13-2008, 10:22 AM
I dove into the sea with my phone in my pocket and it died instantly. Couldn't get it back to life either.

hatakiller
07-13-2008, 12:05 PM
yea, i killed my tynt smart phone on a fishing trip :(
i replaced the battery, it will power up but is in some kind of dos progr.....

cdawall
07-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I dove into the sea with my phone in my pocket and it died instantly. Couldn't get it back to life either.

salt water kills ;)

Ghost742
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
my old phone went through the wash 5 times lol still works. i don't think my xv6700 could do that tho

Planet
07-13-2008, 09:02 PM
It wouldnt be a bad idea however they wouldnt do it because they want you to buy the 5 dollar insurance then pay the 50 dollar deductible or just buy a new phone.

.Logic
07-20-2008, 12:28 AM
My phone went through the wash, there was water in the LCD, just about everywhere. I just put it in the oven on fan forced for a couple of hours and it was fine.

The0men
07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
salt water kills ;)

Nah, i got loads of nokias that have survived the sea floor.

All I do is pull the battery out before I even get it out of the water, go
straight home and wash the shi(f)t out of everything with soapy water.

I dont heat them up to dry quicker, I just give them a week to make sure they're fully dry.

My current phone sony w810i has been through the wash, all my phones do
that lol.

Ghost742
07-21-2008, 06:59 PM
if it gets wet you can clean it out with alcohol and drying it in front of a fan speeds things up.
to bad it doesn't work the same way with computers lol

hedge
07-22-2008, 08:42 PM
if it gets wet you can clean it out with alcohol and drying it in front of a fan speeds things up.
to bad it doesn't work the same way with computers lol

I did that with my friend pc after his tubing came off the waterblock. The thing was even still running with agp slot full of water. 6 hours in front of a big floor fan and viola, it works again.

sjg0
07-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Yea my phone died when i dropped it in the pool. The internals still worked, it was just the lcd that was shot.

I think if you are trying to waterproof your phone all you need to worry about is the lcd. Just get a hot glue gun and smear it everywhere to cover the whole LCD. Everything else should be fine, so loong as you take the battery out quickly.
Besides, it would be nearly impossible to 100% seal off the whole thing, and if you did then you couldn't talk because the mic + speaker holes would be blocked of.

Entity_Razer
07-27-2008, 06:06 AM
you couldn't talk because the mic + speaker holes would be blocked of.

well technically all you'd need is for a bit of air to excist in the mic and speakers so the sealant is used as a membrane. yes your voice and the other guy's voice would be dampened a bit but TECHNICALLY you could pull it off (Technically !)

Romaster
07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
There's a product used to prevent water from getting into a tent known as a Seam sealer. It applies easily and thinly and dries...(forgive me for describing it like this) like a cum stain on a bedsheet. Applied right, I could see that being a good solution for a cell phone. I may try it if I have an old model around.

brightwindow
07-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Well my brother's phone droped into water and then broken down, even though he picked it up and dryed it with dryer, I do think it is necessary to get the waterproof function for the phones.

strange|ife
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
my old current Nokia flip, is beer proof. I dropped it twice over 3 years in cups of beer with no ill effects!

can;t wait to get rid of this dinosaur though.

Klarko
09-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Some interesting waterproofing:

http://golden-shellback.com/

video: http://revision3.com/tekzilla/newtime/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/22/golden-shellback-waterproofing-defies-water-reality/

Cost: $50-$75 depending on size