PDA

View Full Version : Is my onboard gigabyte network port going out?

little_scrapper
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I cannot connect to the internet with my desktop anymore?!?! The old laptop connects just fine though.

I am connecting through a Linksys WRT54G

again the laptop connects just fine but my desktop wont connect at all...now

connection has been getting shottier over the last 2 months and is now gone totally.

I ordered a new network card but in the meantime if anyone knows networking and thinks of an idea let me know.

I have tried all the usual stuff like repairing the connection and uninstalling the gigabyte network and reinstalling but its totally dead. Yet the laptop connects??? gotta be the onboard network controller right>:

tiro_uspsss
07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
got a PCI LAN card? whack it in, see if it plays nice - if not, then its something else :shrug:

little_scrapper
07-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Yea thats what I'm going to do. I had already ordered an intel PCI LAN card before I posted. I thought about ordering the Trendnet $10 special, but MAN... I just cringe at buying the least expensive thing I can find, even if it DOES have the best ratings. I figure it got the most/best rating BECAUSE its the cheapest and eveyone buys it. So I went for the $30 intel lan card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121

Man some of those nic cards cost $500 or more. WTH!!!

Swatrecon_
07-11-2008, 06:17 AM
you should've looked around for some in older PC's first, i've got like 5 from old PC's that no one wanted. it's useful to have for something like this and having old PC's (i'm talking 500mhz PIII) for surfing the web and stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180025

Like that, but the one's I have are Intel.

tiro_uspsss
07-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Yea thats what I'm going to do. I had already ordered an intel PCI LAN card before I posted. I thought about ordering the Trendnet $10 special, but MAN... I just cringe at buying the least expensive thing I can find, even if it DOES have the best ratings. I figure it got the most/best rating BECAUSE its the cheapest and eveyone buys it. So I went for the $30 intel lan card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121

Man some of those nic cards cost $500 or more. WTH!!!

its a Gb LAN card - thats what I paid last time I got one.. but then again, over here is diff :rolleyes:

the down-side: u should have gone with the $10 jobbie, just for testing purposes :p: ;)

the up-side: its an Intel Gb LAN card - Intel sure know how to make a good LAN chip :up: - so u now have a high quality back-up LAN card :yepp:

:toast:

Chruschef
07-11-2008, 06:38 AM
i have a killer NIC card..
it raeps, and lowers my Ping a lot.. 10-30 ping depending on the game.
got it for free from a friend. :cool:

tiro_uspsss
07-11-2008, 07:08 AM
got it for free from a friend. :cool:

:shocked: nice score! :p: :up:

little_scrapper
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
its a Gb LAN card - thats what I paid last time I got one.. but then again, over here is diff :rolleyes:

the down-side: u should have gone with the $10 jobbie, just for testing purposes :p: ;)

the up-side: its an Intel Gb LAN card - Intel sure know how to make a good LAN chip :up: - so u now have a high quality back-up LAN card :yepp:

:toast:

So you say i bought a good one? Thats a good thing. I would rather have at least SOME quality. $20 is relatively inconsequential. I'll take quality any day.

TysonM
07-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Check the lights at the network port... is one light on and the other flashing?

If they are not on, move the plug up and down... if you see the lights come on and shut off then you've got a damaged port. If you can access the circuit board and look at the solder points and see that it is cracked/loose, it is fixable using a pen soldering iron.

Alternatively you could check to make sure there is no lint or foreign stuff inside the network port... also check to make sure that all the contacts in the network port are straight and not crooked.