PDA

View Full Version : In teh news

DarthBeavis
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzM1NTAsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

http://oregonstate.edu/terra/2008summer/departments/innovation/fantasies.php

nikhsub1
07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't know that anything hardocp would be considered 'news' but nice exposure none the less.

DarthBeavis
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know that anything hardocp would be considered 'news' but nice exposure none the less.

For a lowly peon like me anything is more than nothing ;) I just appreciate people taking a little note of my work and the hard work of the many people who help me out.

Martinm210
07-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Nice work, I like the Autopsy build too, never seen that one before...very creative!!

freakgeek1337
07-08-2008, 07:45 PM
So if I can read...

DarthBeavis=Richard Surroz

Wow, one hell of a legend... One hell of a long path to modding fame... Blood, sweat, tears...

lyl
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM

HardOCP is a pretty well established hardware website I'd have to say. Been around for quite some time.

Beavis your work is one of a kind! I saw your mods before i knew your name... Probably from [H]'s previous coverage, idk

philbrown23
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I like [H] but alot of the guys in the forums are noobs and really try to tell people the stupidest things when it comes to hardware advice, if you want I can quote but I wont do it unless asked.

DarthBeavis
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I like [H] but alot of the guys in the forums are noobs and really try to tell people the stupidest things when it comes to hardware advice, if you want I can quote but I wont do it unless asked.

Oh, dude I am there. They hate me in the forums (well, a few people). Seems some people get really pissed that I do more 'team' based projects such as working with Smooth Creations, Danger Den, and Mountain Mods on projects. I always give due credit . . .but some people seem to think you have to do every single thing yourself . . .the truth is that at higher-level modding you do work with others. No one is good at everything (or at least not many). Hell I am not good at much. I do get ideas tho and will follow thru to make them happen unless I hit a big roadblock (like not enough $$$$).

freakgeek1337
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Ya, I don't like [H]. I don't know why. Maybe it's their lack of good advice, or knowledge, or... Ok maybe I should stop.:rofl: I don't understand them, why can't you work with others? Really some of the greatest mods were made by a team. Good example, Charles and Dualbrain(Nils) are making crazy MurderMods. Didn't know that you had to pay for all that stuff yourself, thought all those companies sponsered you.

NaeKuh
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
congrats DB!

DarthBeavis
07-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Ya, I don't like [H]. I don't know why. Maybe it's their lack of good advice, or knowledge, or... Ok maybe I should stop.:rofl: I don't understand them, why can't you work with others? Really some of the greatest mods were made by a team. Good example, Charles and Dualbrain(Nils) are making crazy MurderMods. Didn't know that you had to pay for all that stuff yourself, thought all those companies sponsered you.

They do provide much of my hardware . . .depends on teh build.

headpunter
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
honestly people on [H] get too hung up on practicallity. i was the one who argued your side about the guy with a skully set up with TT Watercooling on it. it was rediculous.

anyways 1st post here, hope to learn more about watercooling here then i did at [h] before i finish my build.

BlueAqua
07-09-2008, 04:24 AM
No need to bash on [H]. If you read bad advice then why don't you post good advice and help somebody out? They're just people like you and I.

DB, nice to see you getting more credit for your work. You really have some great resources available to you that can really enhance your builds. With the quality of work that those shops do, I wouldn't hesitate to use them all I could.

Soulwind
07-09-2008, 04:45 AM
"You know what would be cool? If he posed the AMD/ATi mannequin chick like Atlas and put the NVIDIA globe on her back!"

Heh, I hadn't thought of that, but it WOULD be cool :)

Congrats DB!

lyl
07-09-2008, 04:55 AM
No need to bash on [H]. If you read bad advice then why don't you post good advice and help somebody out? They're just people like you and I.

DB, nice to see you getting more credit for your work. You really have some great resources available to you that can really enhance your builds. With the quality of work that those shops do, I wouldn't hesitate to use them all I could.

Some people find it more fun to sit back and enjoy it. I think [H] attracts people just getting into PCs. Some may call these n00bs, but we were all one at some point, no?

I find their Watercooling section to be a perpetual posting of FAQ threads. Its half amusing, half annoying.

septim
07-09-2008, 06:02 AM
DB nice work you do. i was reading some mods you did a while back before joining here...

RVWinkle
07-09-2008, 06:56 AM
There's lots of old drama tied to the [H] and many of the old school people don't like Kyle. I don't know enough of the details to fully expand on this but [H] was one of the original enthusiast sites and many major sites including XS are groups that splintered from [H].

One way to look at it is to say that XS is a forum for enthusiasts who don't like Kyle.

Aldy402
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
[H] is a great place to sell stuff

WrigleyVillain
07-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Ya, I don't like [H]. I don't know why.

Cause of Kyle? :sofa:

Nice exposure, DB. Your work warrants more.

edit: Oh I posted this before I saw before noticing RVWinkles post. Yeah, well put.

mstrmold
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry, but I for one love [H]. The forums are a mess of different people, attitudes and experiences. Everyone needs a place to "cut their teeth" sort of speak, and the forums are a good place for information. Does it have flame threads? hell yea. Does it have idiots spouting totally incorrect info from Toms Hardware? HA, heck yea they do. But its still a community of enthusiasts whom are passionate about hardware. No different here. Hell, thats how I found out about this site.

I'll agree about the WC threads over there are retarded. I link some of the stickies from here to help educate the unwashed masses on fans, rads and blocks (mostly pointing to Martins charts). /rant

DB, I for one love your mods. Did you finish the AMD Mannequin yet? Keep up the good work.

IanY
07-09-2008, 01:26 PM
DB, you should take over from Francois Piednoel at Intel. He's done a great job at the SkullTrail, but they really need more of an MBA type to take over product promotion. His presentations are insipid, to say the least, and an MBA product manager would liven up Intel's efforts. SkullTrail is a great product, but its not flying off the shelves even among big budget gamers because its a product run by engineers and does not have much marketing pizzazz.

DarthBeavis
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
DB, you should take over from Francois Piednoel at Intel. He's done a great job at the SkullTrail, but they really need more of an MBA type to take over product promotion. His presentations are insipid, to say the least, and an MBA product manager would liven up Intel's efforts. SkullTrail is a great product, but its not flying off the shelves even among big budget gamers because its a product run by engineers and does not have much marketing pizzazz.

I hope to work for a company like Intel when I am done with my MBA . . .I love this industry! Product development and marketing really seem to be the things I am better at than the technical (which I why I get a vision of a project and get all the help I can to make it happen). Funny thing is I used to be a software engineer writing programs that interfaced with paper machines (via PLC interfaces) of all things . . .guess that is technical . . .and a bit before that I was a cop, and a bit before that I was active duty Army . . .guess I really must be ADHD

IanY
07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I hope to work for a company like Intel when I am done with my MBA . . .I love this industry! Product development and marketing really seem to be the things I am better at than the technical (which I why I get a vision of a project and get all the help I can to make it happen). Funny thing is I used to be a software engineer writing programs that interfaced with paper machines (via PLC interfaces) of all things . . .guess that is technical . . .and a bit before that I was a cop, and a bit before that I was active duty Army . . .guess I really must be ADHD

Its my 17th year post-MBA. You are an incredible product developer and you know how to present a product in the best light. Knowing the product goes way beyond technical knowledge, and that's where engineers falter. This is where someone with your talent steps in... to show the market the product in its best light. You definitely know how to make a product look attractive, and I applaud you for that. Not many people can sell ice to eskimos, and I think you can even sell sand to the Arabs... package it in an attractive case lol

I'm just a bean counter that knows how to push a speadsheet. Therefore, I am totally missing the creativity component, and that's where I admire you most.

Intel, Nvidia, AMD.. even Electronic Arts or Activision... These are places full of engineering talent, but they lack people with product vision or even strategic vision. Its the people with vision and a thorough undrestanding of the market that make the best CEOs.

The CEOs who know how to read market surveys and know their product well get to release things like... the new taste of Coke roflmao... The CEOs who only read financial statements know how to chop up and merge companies... look at where that got Carly Fiorina...