PDA

View Full Version : Pelting GPU ram?

afireinside
09-20-2003, 06:56 PM
In SLCs thread about pelting his ram he posted a 38 watt pelt and it was the perfect size for my 9800 ram. ITs 3.3NS samsung. With VDDR mods would the pelts give a better OC than BGA sinks and a 120MM fan blowing on them? I'd put the pelts on, insulate the whole damn card than put heatsinks on the pelts and hold them on with clamps and put a 120MM fan blowing down on the card. Would that work? Better than BGA sinks?

I know sayaa did this. Did it help you at all or was it just a pain in the ass?

saaya
09-21-2003, 03:16 AM
it helped me but the waterblocks on the tecs leaked after some hours :(

it helped me a lot though! but it really depends a lot on the memory. in the 4200 mod thread there are a lot of people with the same memory on their cards, some even have the same brand cards and some memory runs hot by default and other memory runs cool even with 4v running through it...

to know if your ram ocs better with good cooling i can only tell you what i noticed.

1. the ram would oc to 550 without artifacts at first but give me artifacts after some time when the chips got really hot.

2. the max oc wihtou artifacts was 550, the max oc with artifacts was 620!!! at thats pseed the card crashed after some seconds, but it didnt freeze inmediately like i know it from other memory ocs.

3. when i mounted heatsinks on the memory i could run 580 24/7 without any artifacts! thats a nice 40mhz gain!

4. the heatsinks on thememory were still running hot and still warm with a delta blowing on them so they were still hot and needed better cooling.

with the pelts i tried 600 610 620 630 640 without artifacts and then i noticed one hose was sitting bad on one of the blocks, shut the system down and wanted to get the hose straight when the hose fitting just came off the waterblock (waterblock was only glued together with bathroom silicon :rolleyes: )

i think bowman cooled the memory of his 9700pro with chilled water but it didnt help him at all, he didnt get a single mhz higher... depends on the memory...