PDA

View Full Version : Good Graphics Monitor

bizkit35461
07-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi,
I'm looking into purchasing a new monitor to replace my Acer AL1951 [19" 4:3]. I would like to replace it with a 24" monitor [have looked into larger such as 27" but have heard that the dot pitch makes it not worth going with larger size.] I need the monitor to be able to be calibrated well to give accurate colors but I would also like to use it for normal use such as watching movies, playing games [Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike Source, Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, etc.]. I have been looking at the Dell 2408 Ultrasharp monitor but have heard complaints of input lag, and color uniformity [as well as backlight issues]. Was wondering if these are true. I have seen NEC carries professional grade monitors and I was wondering if anyone here may be able to help me sort through the different NEC monitors or maybe give me some information regarding their performance in games. I'm looking to spend a maximum of $1,000 for the monitor. Though would greatly prefer less.

In terms of graphic design, I shall be doing digital photography editing, print designs, full 3D modeling, etc. using an array of programs such as Photoshop CS3, Lightroom, Maya, etc.

Also, how is the wide gamut going to have an effect on the appearance of the colors throughout windows [if the monitor is wide gamut of course]?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and suggestions

-R4z3r

Lloyd
07-07-2008, 08:32 AM
well, i'd defo want an NEC for what ur intending, my 20" MultiSync 20WGX2 is just awesome. I have no worries recommending them for what you want. Though i'm not sure about the latest models specs. I'll have a look and get back to u

xxjoebreadxx
07-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I personally own the hp w2408h for my gaming rig.
I bought it on a whim one night at bestbuy because they were selling the display cheap.
Honestly, that has got to be the best looking monitor I have ever used. I liked it so much I bought another one to play my xbox 360 on. There virtually no lag between my pc and that monitor, and my 360 and that monitor. Its got auto calibrate and you can switch around and save custom settings depending on what your doing. I have a setting for my games and my desktop because I like my desktop brighter and my games a little darker. Plus the speakers are pretty decent for a monitor.

Personally You can't go wrong with it. Bestbuy has some pretty decent deals on it now too.

I Also own the Samsung T240 LCD, and it is about as nice as their tv's are. Its a bit pricey though. I love it as much as my hp.

Either of those are a great choice. Either way let us know what you end up choosing.

Samsung Link:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24TWHSUV/ZA
HP Link:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display/1/storefronts/GM712AA%2523ABA;HHOJSID=6kyBLyZPGvDHLcpB5T2Bmw6VmC 24QZsQpnJQh1vJydQvHLnp5v53!1606457807

Pillo-kun
07-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I have placed an order on an eizo 24" (s2431w) monitor. Eizo is supposed to be a top player like nec when in comes to making pro monitors. I hope it will be almost as good to play games(20ms input lag at most) as it is at photo editing and cad/catia v5. http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-eizo-s2431w.html A little review of the screen that is on my way to me but it is going to be discontinued soon and replaced by a new rev and here in sweden Eizo has a campain that i just could not resist anymore 2000 kr(200 euro) cheaper!!. I dont know where ya are at but check out the eizo site. www.eizo.com maybe will help

Lloyd
07-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Have a look at this NEC......
http://www.nec-display-solutions.co.uk/c/g/uk/en/Products/Details/Specification/dp/Products/LCD/Current/LCD-2470WNX/LCD-2470WNX/index,group=all.html

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-07-2008, 11:11 AM
if you want correct color NONE of these monitors will do that.

the NEC 2690 WUXi (http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=1713e080-c8e3-4aab-9447-73dacb301b84) is the only monitor that does the highest range of perfect color. i have 2 of them downstairs in the photo studio and they are simply incredible, they put every other monitor to shame in color accuracy and image quality, its almost laughable that people are recomending these other monitors to you. (no offense to you all but you dont know what your talking about)

WrigleyVillain
07-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I have placed an order on an eizo 24" (s2431w) monitor. Eizo is supposed to be a top player like nec when in comes to making pro monitors.

They are, if within your budget go for it. We use Eizo for professional virtual color proofing at work. And our high end retouchers use them as well. Though due to price the rest of our digital artists are stuck with measly 23" Aluminum Apple Cinema Displays. :rolleyes: :D

bizkit35461
07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
if you want correct color NONE of these monitors will do that.

the NEC 2690 WUXi (http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=1713e080-c8e3-4aab-9447-73dacb301b84) is the only monitor that does the highest range of perfect color. i have 2 of them downstairs in the photo studio and they are simply incredible, they put every other monitor to shame in color accuracy and image quality, its almost laughable that people are recomending these other monitors to you. (no offense to you all but you dont know what your talking about)

How's the 2690 in terms of overall sharpness, etc. I've heard that the larger monitors [which run the same resolutions as the 24" ones] are not as sharp or as high quality overall. Also do you know how it responds to usage for such things as games?

Thanks everyone!
-R4z3r

Pillo-kun
07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
i wanted a 26" in the begining but as i remember when i bought a 22" monitor some year ago the 1680x1050 resolution didnt really click with me at all. i can only imagine that it maybe would be a similar problem for me with a 26 incher when the icones and the menues take away far to much workspace. What i really would like is that 22" would have 1920x1200 and 24" somehting between a 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 resolution. But that is only me. I really dont want or have cash enough to be running multiple highend screens just for the sake of getting my menues out of my workspace. But i guess that its a really small differance in dpi size between a 24 and a 26" screen.

Heretic
07-07-2008, 07:37 PM
How's the 2690 in terms of overall sharpness, etc. I've heard that the larger monitors [which run the same resolutions as the 24" ones] are not as sharp or as high quality overall. Also do you know how it responds to usage for such things as games?

Thanks everyone!
-R4z3r

You can try the 2490 if you don't want the larger 26" monitor. The downside is that it's only a standard gamut panel, which isn't great if you're working with aRGB (as it sounds like you are). I'd also take a look at the DoubleSight DS-263N and Planar PX2611W. They use the same panel as the NEC 2690 but have varying inputs and warranties. I believe they also lack the polarizer. I'm not sure what the 2690 offers on scaling options, but all 3 are great for gaming (1-2 frames of input lag or less on average). I believe Doublesight is doing a refresh of their 26" soon with more inputs if that's important to you.

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
You can try the 2490 if you don't want the larger 26" monitor. The downside is that it's only a standard gamut panel, which isn't great if you're working with aRGB (as it sounds like you are). I'd also take a look at the DoubleSight DS-263N and Planar PX2611W. They use the same panel as the NEC 2690 but have varying inputs and warranties. I believe they also lack the polarizer. I'm not sure what the 2690 offers on scaling options, but all 3 are great for gaming (1-2 frames of input lag or less on average). I believe Doublesight is doing a refresh of their 26" soon with more inputs if that's important to you.

2690WUXi is more sharp than any monitor ive ever seen, dont worry about a sharpness issue, it isn't a problem at all with such a high quality panel.

perkam
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
24'' is overkill in my books. If you want a monitor, 22'' is far more space-efficient.

Not to mention, that you can grab a 1920 res 42'' lcd tv for the price of some of the larger monitors today.

Perkam

revogamer
07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
no 22" is good for graphics, they ALL have TN panels, which for colour reproduction and picture quality do not stand up against S-IPS and S-PVA monitors..

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
24'' is overkill in my books. If you want a monitor, 22'' is far more space-efficient.

Not to mention, that you can grab a 1920 res 42'' lcd tv for the price of some of the larger monitors today.

Perkam

why make that comment that is completely OT, were talking about high rgb photorealistic panels here, not some tv that wont even accept a calibration profile....

bizkit35461
07-08-2008, 07:31 AM
The 2690WUXi looks very nice with the H-IPS panel [haven't seen the actual monitor but the specs all look amazing]. After checking the 2490 to see if that may be a better option I've realized that the 2690 fills much more of the aRGB color space [meaning much more helpful for me]. Interesting thing I read in a review on amazon was that it's the same panel as the more expensive Lacie monitors, right down to the instruction manuals allowing auto calibration through their devices. I don't know if it's true, just thought it was an interesting thing to point out.

@Heretic - still have to look at those two monitors before any decisions are made.

Thank you everyone for all the input

lefy
07-08-2008, 10:36 AM
i agree with the 2690WUXi recommendation. also, the Doublesight DS-263N & Planar PX2611W use the same panel if you're looking to save more money. that said, double sight has another line of panels coming out soon & could be worth researching to see if you want to wait. I won't say planar or doublesight are as good simply because they use the same panel - i have zero experience with them, but it might be worth reading what others have said.

also, don't forget to check the lcd thread at anand (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206)

personally, i wanted a 2560 display and got the Dell 3008WFP because of a sale price. I love it, BUT (this is a big BUT), it has this anti-glare coating on it that gives this "grainy, sparkly, dusty" effect. I'm told this is just an artifact of all 30" LG IPS panels. it's very noticeable, and it has me still considering other displays. namely, the one's i just recommended to you

good luck... please reply with your plans/experiences. at least one other person is in the same boat :D

bizkit35461
07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Still not sure but have decided not to go with the DoubleSight DS-263N. Due to this forum:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1268063
Also it shows the fact that it's lottery to get the polarizer which I feel could be very very helpful. The Planar seems interesting though the NEC seems like it may be the safest and overall best bet..

Anyone have any info on what it's like to work with a wide gamut monitor? In and out of color managed applications

Thanks!!!
-R4z3r

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Still not sure but have decided not to go with the DoubleSight DS-263N. Due to this forum:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1268063
Also it shows the fact that it's lottery to get the polarizer which I feel could be very very helpful. The Planar seems interesting though the NEC seems like it may be the safest and overall best bet..

Anyone have any info on what it's like to work with a wide gamut monitor? In and out of color managed applications

Thanks!!!
-R4z3r

I reccomend getting one of the 2x90 WUXi the NEC monitor that is a Spectreview calibrator, its a GretagMacbeth eyeONE calibrator which is top of the line, once you calibrate it with the spectretool it stores the profile on the monitor and you are good for all of your programs to run in real color.

whether you get the 24 or 26 is no matter, they are both GREAT panels

strange|ife
07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
geta 24" Sammy or Acer. HP also makes a good monitor

Pillo-kun
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
To candymancan. there is the ThinkVision L220X 22" that boast a 1920x1200 resolution but i didnt buy it cus the quality of the screen is very inconstinse(spell). many people have reported that it is very unsharp when reading(like a old crt).