PDA

View Full Version : Need help tring to find a good fan controller !!

Xphobe
07-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I figure the best way to explain what I am looking for is just to explain my issue at hand.

...The best my radiator can perform is 3c delta (3c above ambient temperature at 100% fan speed) under full load. But at idle, all I need to keep my coolant at ambiant temperature is a very quiet 40% fan speed.

Now, I have two goals;
1) try and keep my water temp under 28c.
2) Keep my rig as quiet as possible.

Unfortunately, not only can my room get warmer then 28c, but so can all the places that I bring my PC to.
So, my 2nd (and only) choice is for the water temperature to be as close to ambient as possible when it does exceed 28c, while keeping my rig as quiet as possible (I know I am asking for a lot).
The best way to do this (I believe) is to allow the fans to spin down to 40% when my computer is not at work and then some how scale the fan speed up to 100% when my water temp starts exceeding 3c above ambient.

After taking a look at many good fan controllers, I still cannot find one that can perform the task that I am looking for automatically. Does this mean that I am stuck manually adjusting my fans all the time as the room temperature increases or do one of you know of a good fan controller that can work for me ??

Logos
07-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Aqua Computer Aquaero

http://www.aqua-computer-systeme.de/shop-index.htm

shachar2
07-05-2008, 12:05 PM
they have a pump (and some other site, maybe this one has controllers) that communicate via usb and allows you to control it automatically.

The only down side to software solutions like that is a few years down the road with the next os and when the company stops working on the current version of the software (because it has reached the 'end of life') in favor of one of their newer software. this is where (the old version of the software) starts to get buggy (but might still work)

Xphobe
07-05-2008, 12:06 PM
After reading the manual, I am unable to determine if this controller can actually adjust the fan temperature based on the difference between 2 thermal probes (ambiant / water temp).

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonfaber/Regulation%20Options.JPG

It just looks like it can only work a fan based on preset target temps ?

John Planet
07-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Xphobe, the best you can acheive is slightly above ambient, regardless of fan speed. Under most circumstances this isn't so horrible since a room temp that would kill a processor/GPU on water would have long since put you in the hospital or worse. ;) Also, depending on the choices you make, you can have surprisngly low idle/load temps with low speed (quiet) fans.

Xphobe
07-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Atm I am using San Ace 1011 fans with a PA 120.2 rad. I don't think I can do better then the current set up without compromising portability to my mid tower case. It would just be nice to run my fans at 100% ONLY when I absolutely need it without manually adjusting it all the time for maximum performance/sound ratio.

Cue
07-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a m-cubed T-balancer with an optional analog hub. You can't get much better than that for a fan/watercooling controller :up:.

it reads the flow from my 2 loops just in case it needs to autoshutdown, you can edit response curves for 4 fans. it has 10 analogue temp sensors and 2 digital ones.

shame that I just ended up putting my fans on full blast, once you hit 21C you start to feel that 32C is waayy to hot.:cool:

jonny_ftm
07-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Aquaero can be software or hardware only based, so no need for an OS for it to work

I'm not sure, but the software is very advanced, so it could permit regulating temps depending on delta

Xphobe
07-06-2008, 06:55 AM
I have a m-cubed T-balancer with an optional analog hub. You can't get much better than that for a fan/watercooling controller :up:.

it reads the flow from my 2 loops just in case it needs to autoshutdown, you can edit response curves for 4 fans. it has 10 analogue temp sensors and 2 digital ones.

shame that I just ended up putting my fans on full blast, once you hit 21C you start to feel that 32C is waayy to hot.:cool:

I took a look at all M-cubed products, including the BigNG, and found the only way to control the fans is through pre-targeted temperature settings. They are good products, but it is just not what I am looking for, as I would always have to adjust the target temperature if the ambiant temperature exceeds the target temp.

I'm not sure, but the software is very advanced, so it could permit regulating temps depending on delta

This is exactly what I am looking for, although it is very hard to actually confirm this with anyone. Also my San Ace fans has a maximum wattage of 6.25 but the Aquaero as a maximum of 5w per channel. Although, the mosfets on the Aquaero have plenty of room to attach heat sinks on them, in which then I am sure they can take the extra load. :)

Cue
07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
I took a look at all M-cubed products, including the BigNG, and found the only way to control the fans is through pre-targeted temperature settings. They are good products, but it is just not what I am looking for, as I would always have to adjust the target temperature if the ambiant temperature exceeds the target temp.

This is exactly what I am looking for, although it is very hard to actually confirm this with anyone. Also my San Ace fans has a maximum wattage of 6.25 but the Aquaero as a maximum of 5w per channel. Although, the mosfets on the Aquaero have plenty of room to attach heat sinks on them, in which then I am sure they can take the extra load. :)

You can achieve that with a response curve i would have thought because at the end of the day its "this is the temp what is the speed" :shrug:

jonny_ftm
07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
...but the Aquaero as a maximum of 5w per channel...

Wrong:

Fan-Connections:
4 outputs with rpm-signal, max. 10W/channel, 1A

4x10W channels for 40W total
Option to add the Aquabus for more fans/sensors connections

Xphobe
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Well on www.sharkacomputers.com it shows only 5w per channel, but perhaps its just a typo.

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonfaber/Aquearo.JPG

In any case, it looks like if there is any fan controller that can be used for delta temps, this would be it...... Thanx for the help :)

jonny_ftm
07-07-2008, 12:03 AM
All v4 hardware, despite the documents, are 10W/ channel, total 30W max for all channels

That's ok for 12 Scythe -Flex F fans

Those info are from official Aquaero stuff